• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch Boxes (manufacturers box)

Does everyone else keep the boxes their watches come in, or do people throw them away?

If like me, you always keep the box, how much does a good quality box effect your decision to buy, or improve the experience of getting the watch and opening up that first time?

I have a slight obsession with a nice quality box, it does make me feel better about my purchase if it comes in something fancy and similarly it does make me a little negative when I've bought an otherwise nice watch and it comes in a cheapo cardboard box with a sponge cushion.

Is it just me? Am I a bit of a nob (actually you can skip that question, I've enough evidence in my past to cover that myself) is a nice box important to you (oh er)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoT said:

My boxes go into the loft and only reappear if I decide to sell a watch, they are a bit of a nuisance especially when they are "nice" because that usually equates to big

I sold an Omega Speedmaster just because the box was obscene, it was the size of a suitcase!

Storage is a pain, mine are scattered all over the place. Currently three big cardboard boxes full plus a few spilling over in carrier bags  :(

I'm my own worst enemy though, sometimes I dig through ebay and buy more boxes just in case I buy a watch from the brand second hand and it's loose.  That's a new level of commitment I feel. (Or should that read "I need to be committed"?)

I have recently purchased an ebel box, a mondaine box, a couple of vintage oris and Longines boxes... and no watches to put in them!  Idiocy.  Particularly because (as mentioned) a lot of normal people actually chuck the boxes away to just enjoy what's inside. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kevkojak said:

Particularly because (as mentioned) a lot of normal people actually chuck the boxes away to just enjoy what's inside. :laugh:

Some of my purchases have been so bad I should have slung the watch and just enjoyed the box.

I'm sometimes like a toddler at Christmas getting more enjoyment from the wrapping paper.

• Haha 3

Is there a different thought process for the cardboard boxes as opposed to the leather (faux or not), wooden and other methods for watch delivery/presentation?

Does cardboard get thrown out more than other materials?

asking for a friend :whistle:

Always keep the boxes, as it helps values.  Incorrectly, some people assume a watch is fake without a box and real with it.

On 10/04/2021 at 23:38, kevkojak said:

I sold an Omega Speedmaster just because the box was obscene, it was the size of a suitcase!

Totally understand that - I sold one and the postage was ridiculous.  IIRC the watch wasn't even transported in the suitcase, but in a separate box to keep it safe!

There are also the brands that spend more on packaging than the watch to help justify daft RRP's - 10 micron gold plated quartz watches in walnut cases with brass fittings.  

The theatre of opening the box is a one time only thrill, so for me I would prefer cheaper watches and cheaper boxes.

6 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Always keep the boxes, as it helps values.  Incorrectly, some people assume a watch is fake without a box and real with it.

Totally understand that - I sold one and the postage was ridiculous.  IIRC the watch wasn't even transported in the suitcase, but in a separate box to keep it safe!

There are also the brands that spend more on packaging than the watch to help justify daft RRP's - 10 micron gold plated quartz watches in walnut cases with brass fittings.  

The theatre of opening the box is a one time only thrill, so for me I would prefer cheaper watches and cheaper boxes.

I've never seen the appeal of those Dreyfus boxes that hold 4-5 watches being used by them when you buy a single watch.

I get that some might see it as gaining a box for a small collection but it seems overkill to me, even as a lover of a nice wooden box.

Surely this depends very much on the watch and intention to keep or move it along at a later date?

Your more likely to keep the box of a higher end watch than a disposable one.

I don’t understand people on forums who try to pretend they spend thousands of pounds on a watch and dispose of the boxes. At this level your purchasing a luxury asset, not a disposable item.

Do the same people throw away all the documentation, manuals and service books when they purchase a car?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Igerswis said:

Surely this depends very much on the watch and intention to keep or move it along at a later date?

Your more likely to keep the box of a higher end watch than a disposable one.

I don’t understand people on forums who try to pretend they spend thousands of pounds on a watch and dispose of the boxes. At this level your purchasing a luxury asset, not a disposable item.

Do the same people throw away all the documentation, manuals and service books when they purchase a car?

The way I drive, I probably should!

43 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

I keep boxes and paperwork.

Same here, I just think it's all part of the make of the watch. Also shows the watch is important to the owner. I'm like with my cars too. I keep the paperwork for all the work I carry out so that next owner knows how it's been looked after.

• Like 1

I don't have many watches and have only purchased and sold a handful but I keep everything. Not for everyone, but I've found over the years of buying and selling stuff that when I sell things at a later date, many people quite like receiving their 'second hand goods' in the original packaging. Not really an issue with small things like watches but with larger items it's really useful and much easier for posting!

I've recently sold some old hi fi (about 30 years old) and I still had all the original packaging in the attic - so much easier.

• Like 1

I keep them primarily as it influences the re-sale value if you decide to go another way in the future.

However I also find it adds to the overall purchase experience which is a big deal if you have a large or fluid collection.

They do take up a lot of room though and there's no elegant solution for that!

43 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I keep them primarily as it influences the re-sale value if you decide to go another way in the future.

However I also find it adds to the overall purchase experience which is a big deal if you have a large or fluid collection.

They do take up a lot of room though and there's no elegant solution for that!

A big box is required, to keep all of the little boxes

OCD me. Won't buy a watch which does not come with the original box.

Can be taken to extremes though. I bought one of my better pieces second hand from a dealer on Bond Street (it came with the original box, of course). When I came to leave the shop they gave me the watch in a smart slip and recommended that I carry it in my innermost inside pocket. They then gave me the 5kg box in a very substantial bag to carry separately. The logic is obvious: if you get your bag snatched, you don't lose your watch. But I would have been almost as devastated to lose the box as the watch. :blush:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, yokel said:

Can be taken to extremes though. I bought one of my better pieces second hand from a dealer on Bond Street (it came with the original box, of course). When I came to leave the shop they gave me the watch in a smart slip and recommended that I carry it in my innermost inside pocket. They then gave me the 5kg box in a very substantial bag to carry separately. The logic is obvious: if you get your bag snatched, you don't lose your watch. But I would have been almost as devastated to lose the box as the watch. :blush:

Haha, I'd have been the first person on record to have fought to the death to keep hold of a bag containing an empty box!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, yokel said:

I had the same experience on new bond st, it seems to be a trend around that way. Clearly a deterrent required after some bad experiences. 

On 10/04/2021 at 21:11, Bricey said:

Does everyone else keep the boxes their watches come in, or do people throw them away?

If like me, you always keep the box, how much does a good quality box effect your decision to buy, or improve the experience of getting the watch and opening up that first time?

I have a slight obsession with a nice quality box, it does make me feel better about my purchase if it comes in something fancy and similarly it does make me a little negative when I've bought an otherwise nice watch and it comes in a cheapo cardboard box with a sponge cushion.

Is it just me? Am I a bit of a nob (actually you can skip that question, I've enough evidence in my past to cover that myself) is a nice box important to you (oh er)?

Started a similar thread a few weeks ago... a good / special box certainly adds to the theatre of watch buying / ownership imho.