• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch Boxes (manufacturers box)

1 minute ago, Jonesinamillion said:

Started a similar thread a few weeks ago... a good / special box certainly adds to the theatre of watch buying / ownership imho.

Apologies, only been here a week, and only noticed and started to use the search function yesterday :shothead:

Raymond Weil and Maurice Lacroix do a lovely box, I had a freelancer and a Pontus and when I let them go I was almost as sad to see the boxes go as I was the actual watches. :laughing2dw:

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

Apologies, only been here a week, and only noticed and started to use the search function yesterday :shothead:

Raymond Weil and Maurice Lacroix do a lovely box, I had a freelancer and a Pontus and when I let them go I was almost as sad to see the boxes go as I was the actual watches. :laughing2dw:

Wasnt a dig, more agreement.

Dont own one (yet, railmaster on the wishlist) but omega seem to put some effort into their boxes. Mine live in a lovely jet black aivitas box* but a manufacturers box makes a big difference. Probably my nicest, but not that special for a £2.5I watch...

20210227_171417

This but high gloss black https://www.aevitas-uk.co.uk/collections/watch-boxes/products/natural-walnut-wooden-watch-collectors-box-for-20-watches-by-aevitas

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/04/2021 at 23:38, kevkojak said:

I sold an Omega Speedmaster just because the box was obscene, it was the size of a suitcase!

Storage is a pain, mine are scattered all over the place. Currently three big cardboard boxes full plus a few spilling over in carrier bags  :(

I'm my own worst enemy though, sometimes I dig through ebay and buy more boxes just in case I buy a watch from the brand second hand and it's loose.  That's a new level of commitment I feel. (Or should that read "I need to be committed"?)

I have recently purchased an ebel box, a mondaine box, a couple of vintage oris and Longines boxes... and no watches to put in them!  Idiocy.  Particularly because (as mentioned) a lot of normal people actually chuck the boxes away to just enjoy what's inside. :laugh:

I don't suppose you have any Victorinox boxes without watches.

My OCD is giving me fits having bought a nice watch that I thought came boxed but didn't.

I'm actually trying to decide whether I should contact Victorinox on the off chance they'd sell a box or just selling the watch!

:swoon:

8 minutes ago, Bricey said:

My OCD is giving me fits having bought a nice watch that I thought came boxed but didn't.

I'm actually trying to decide whether I should contact Victorinox on the off chance they'd sell a box or just selling the watch!

They would not "sell you a box", they would post one to you for nothing ... or completely ignore you ...

• Like 1

I'll keep the box to hold any spare links, usually they get put under the bed. I shouldn't really because its hard to find 'that' box with 'that' link in it when you spend a few months eating too many pies.

13 minutes ago, Bricey said:

All you need to do is buy another watch and you now have a box for it :crazy5vh:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

They would not "sell you a box", they would post one to you for nothing ... or completely ignore you ...

I'm expecting decent odds on the later.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Sadly not, only outer boxes, not the inner one that holds the watch (so pretty useless!)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bricey said:

As per your later comment, I can see Victorinox telling you to sling your hook, but no harm in asking? - Plenty of box sets for sale on the bay, but only if you are in the US or OZ which doesn't help you in downtown Cambridgeshire? - There's a couple of Victorinox hard cases for sale in the UK though? - Would that help control your OCD?

Edited by PaulBoy
Too many to's

Yes I do but there's literally to no reason for it other than perhaps a hint of pride. Because I almost never sell my watches I no longer want, I give them away. And I almost never include the boxes because it costs me extra in shipping.

I've kept all of mine.  The Seiko are pretty basic, not a patch on the Orient. My recent Victorinox purchase came with an excellent box.  Best by far though would be from my old oyster,  very nice.  I keep all the papers and spare links in each box.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

I've kept all of mine.  The Seiko are pretty basic, not a patch on the Orient. My recent Victorinox purchase came with an excellent box.  Best by far though would be from my old oyster,  very nice.  I keep all the papers and spare links in each box.

Oooohhh! You f#$&ing tease!!!!!

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 4

New(ish) mid and high-end, lack of box and papers will impact value, sometimes quite significantly. For certain brands, box & papers is an indicator of not being fake, but by no means a guarantee! 

Age is a big driver too- older watches (even high end), it's less of an issue if box is missing (less expected for a 20+ year old watch).

My Rolex is a vintage (1978), but I'm lucky to have a full set, including recent service information. 

My JLC is a 1990s and only has the box (with some damage)

My 1978 Seamaster chrono has nothing, and my SuperOcean has a box, but it's the wrong one and its broken. 

Worst box:  Vostok. Why bother??

Best box:  Speedmaster X-33, made of spacesuit material, and not too big.

img_4643-jpg.719180

Honourable mention: the new eco-friendly CW boxes are really nice. 

C65-41APR1-S0BB0-B0_Picture_8.jpg?sw=200

Common issues: Omeage red boxes falling to bits; Breitling bakelite cracking; Timefactors: denatured glue means the edging falls off; Tissot: the book?? 

Overall, I'd rather have the box than not, but it's not a deal killer, if the price is right!

When I was buying more modern watches I had quite a lot of boxes and kept them all. Thankfully those are mostly gone now and I just have a couple of Casio boxes. Most of my old tat purchases come without a box, except the 1960s Modaine, which the seller proudly pictured in its large (and heavy) "Mondaine" box. Which, of course, more properly belongs to one of the modern Swiss Railways souvenir trinkets. :biggrin:

On 15/04/2021 at 20:37, Craftycockney said:

I had the same experience on new bond st, it seems to be a trend around that way. Clearly a deterrent required after some bad experiences. 

Same with me. I bought a stainless and gold rolex gmt2 on bond street. I stuck the watch in the inside pocket of my coat and the box and paperwork in a waitrose carrier bag. I expect the muggers know what we do.