• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Building a collection

Although Ive always loved my watches, it’s only the last few years of being in a position to start building a small collection of watches I’ve considered my iconic grail watches. So my list includes: Rolex sub, Speedmaster moon watch, sea master (chrono my personal choice), Breitling Navitimer (43mm) and Tag Monaco (Blue ) so far I’ve achieved 2 of these by buying and selling a few second hand Tags, Breitling, and Omegas gradually upgrading by adding a few quid each time, which has taken me 3 years. I haven’t got unlimited spare cash so it’s been constantly looking for deals which have helped to build the pot up. It’s been difficult flipping some that I get attached to but sometimes you have to think about the bigger picture. After getting these 2 at pretty good deals at AD’s in Jersey, there’s some satisfaction that I have kept to a plan and know now how to eventually have the small collection I’m aiming for. I have 3 other keepers that for sentimental reasons will not be used to fund the future pieces. Is there anyone else that is building a collection to a plan? Or am I just being a bit too blinkered in my choices. Not sure which is next on my list from above, maybe the Navitimer, but suspect the hardest and probably last one will be the Submariner, for now it’s back on numerous sites looking for some reasonable cash builders. Has anyone else got a bucket list?

1C98FE38-B22B-48F7-A08B-56CE609B7523.jpeg

51F56923-2B45-4088-9CE9-C769E9F5C752.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Ive gone a slightly different way so far, buying greater volume lower value watches, enjoying them for a while, and then selling on several at a time to fund fewer, higher value additions.

I figure I have bought and sold about 150-200 watches over the past 12-15 years, my collection is currently:

Rolex Datejust (grail for me), Omega Seamaster (both of these are birth year watches), Tudor Glamour, TAG Carrera, Frederique Constant Classic (a keeper for sentimental reasons), Longines Heritage Conquest, Christopher Ward C65, Certina DS-1, plus a couple of quartz gifts from my wife that I keep outside of the collection/trading.

The Longines, Certina and probably the TAG will be traded up in the mid term (Longines already listed).

Longer term the Tudor and CW will probably go, although I'm more attached to those atm.

I have a wish list of watches and a wish list of brands I would like to try.

The net cost of my collection, when deducting any trading profits is around £2,500-£3,000, which the Datejust is probably not far of being worth on its own, so overall I'm quite chuffed.

But there is always another watch that you really want.....

Edited by Bricey
Typo's
  • Like 2

I am a watch down after selling my Avenger Skyland on here last summer and am mooching about for a Panerai Luminor White dial, a Zenith El Primero, Certina 500m or maybe a decent Seiko ..... powder still dry, I was hoping for more decent releases this month during watches-and-wonders but the releases are largely ridiculous in my opinion, flogging the "heritage" thing to death.... One ridiculous thing for me is that if I did not own my Omega Seamaster 300M [ inky black dial ] then I would immediately buy the new "great white" 300M on a rubber strap. Its for me the most stunning watch out there at the moment. But my 300M is a keeper and if I bought the other one to have both , then Wifey would nail me to outside of our house.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve been giving this some thought recently and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m going to get a nice selection of various dial types, colours and designs. I suspect that these will mainly be, what I would call, mid-range prices, maybe £400 to a grand so I’m sure that there will be a few micro brands appearing.

Once I have scratched that itch then I’ll probably start looking for 3/4 more expensive bits. Tank, Monaco and probably a Hanhart chrono as it stands but that will be a movable feast.

I can’t see myself ever being able to afford a high end collection but I’d like to get to a dozen or so that I couldn’t live without.

Best laid plans and all that!:rolleyes:

• Like 2

so on my journey i came to the conclusion quality over quantity was way to go for me ( that did not mean all had to be high value), trouble is there is so much quality over a wide range of values out there i have ended up with 12 !i anticipate one more , which means one to go which will just leave a full display case of 12, being 11 mechanical and one quartz or all 12 mechanical. some of the big enjoyment has been in the journey as well as owning "that" watch.

deano

• Like 2

My collection is made up of some expensive pieces, Rolex, Omega, IWC, Tudor (and shortly a Zenith) etc., but I also have several low cost watches including Timex, Seiko, Casio and Mondaine.

I would say mix your collection as there are some great looking watches for a few hundred pounds and for brands such as Seiko and Casio, you will have many friends. 

Also, research some of the smaller and lesser known brands, there is a lot of interesting designs and value out there.

• Like 3

Nope. It seems some people begin to collect by getting more expensive or rare watches sometimes by selling several to get one..

I don't find anything intrinsically wrong with that but I will point out that sometimes there are regrets. I've seen people saying they miss this watch or that watch.

I don't do this. Thats just me. I have never sold a watch and don't think I ever will. Each watch for me, from the rarest to the more cheaper obscure things, has its own life. Over time they begin to have meaning for me. They eventually break and it makes me sad. 

My collection has no monetary value for me because I don't consider them as commodities or status symbols (well yes, they do, some of them would fetch money and I have been offered cash for them) they are 'trinkets' that bring interest and fun to my life. 

If someone offered me a large amount of money to me for one of my watches, I would rather help them to find their own 'trinket' that suits them, than sell one of mine. Or.. just give them the watch because they liked it so much. 

My collection is not monetory driven, its emotionally driven.

• Like 4

Always liked watches as a kid and beyond but it's only recently that the kids have grown up , mortgage nearly gone that i find i can afford some really nice watches , my grail watch has always been a no date Sub and i finally treat myself tp one for my 50th(a 36 year wait) i remember looking at them in my local jewelers as a teenager thinking i'll never be able to find £695 lol i have a mix of watches and it's not nescesarily the more expensive ones that grab me but i already find it difficult to wear them all.

• Like 1

I have been all over the place, thematic collections, model collections, 3 watches, 50 watches, expensive, cheap etc etc

Some of the collections I put together were quite good in retrospect:

• 24-hour watches - wide range of models including some hard to find - even had an immaculate B'ling Cosmonaut 
  • Glycine Airman - 4 different variants of the original Airman, vintage Airman SST plus some rare quartz models from the quartz crisis years, plus several modern Airman models.
  • Speedmaster - cal 860 Moonwatch, MkII racing dial, MkIII, MkIV, Mk4.5, from Moon to Mars. Gemini 4,  plus a Flightmaster

I am quite happy at present with no great desire to head off in a thematic direction although I wish I had kept some of the watches from the collections

Today I have Rolex, Tudor, Breitling, Omega, Doxa, Vostok, Poljot, Eterna, CWC, Seiko and a number of odds and ends

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

Nope. It seems some people begin to collect by getting more expensive or rare watches sometimes by selling several to get one..

I don't find anything intrinsically wrong with that but I will point out that sometimes there are regrets. I've seen people saying they miss this watch or that watch.

I don't do this. Thats just me. I have never sold a watch and don't think I ever will. Each watch for me, from the rarest to the more cheaper obscure things, has its own life. Over time they begin to have meaning for me. They eventually break and it makes me sad. 

My collection has no monetary value for me because I don't consider them as commodities or status symbols (well yes, they do, some of them would fetch money and I have been offered cash for them) they are 'trinkets' that bring interest and fun to my life. 

If someone offered me a large amount of money to me for one of my watches, I would rather help them to find their own 'trinket' that suits them, than sell one of mine. Or.. just give them the watch because they liked it so much. 

My collection is not monetory driven, its emotionally driven.

I agree, this is not a monetary driven exercise but unfortunately I can’t obtain the watches I want without the money to buy them. My point was that to get to the point of getting my target pieces I have to buy, sell and trade as I don’t have 20k odd to spare. I have some cheaper watches that I love and wouldn’t want to part with but sometimes you have to make a decision to sell to get what u want.

I generally buy what I like or what I think I like when I can afford to. I have said it before and will say it again & again, I try to buy smart also try to have a target price in mind for pieces on the hit list. Do I buy to a particular plan? Somewhat yes but as always plans change so I stay fluid and keep things moving with the next piece that takes my fancy. 

• Like 1