• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Seiko Astron GPS Solar

Steve s21

Hi. I joined this group a few days ago, but haven't been able to find an answer in the forum about charging my Seiko Astron 7X52, during our dark ... and often sunless UK winter. If there is and answer in the forum to my following question, then forgive me that I couldn't find it.

I somehow managed to 'put away' my Astron in a drawer some 18 months ago and forgot about it until 10 days ago. After checking it over and finding no charge (not surprisingly), I placed it on a front windowsill, facing the sun (of which there hasn't been a great deal where I live) in the morning and moving it to the back of the house in the afternoon to recharge it. It took 5 days before the watch was ticking along nicely and I was able to set to the correct time.

The question I would like to get an answer to, (apart from not hiding it away in a dark place again for so long) is, are there recommended LED light chargers to boost the Astron's energy storage, to get it going again, more quickly if the same happens again .... or just as a top up during the winter. Or is it not recommended at all to use such a device. I have seen several on websites, but would value opinions on this subject, from those, far more knowledgeable than me .

Regards ... merc1172001

Hi Steve - welcome to the forum. I have an Astron it also took a few days to charge.

It would be worth posting again in the main discussion section using a less specific heading - maybe `how to keep a solar watch powered in winter' as quite a few members own a solar powered watch.

This is mine.

large.20150531_133509.jpg.2a50b4fe5dd961f45f945196425ba8a6.jpg

Just had a look in my handbook and  from flat it would take 3.5 hours under fluorescent light in an office to charge enough for 1 day. To go from flat to fully charged would take 420 hours under fluorescent light; 115 hours of light on a cloudy day and 50 hours of sunlight.

I bought a solar watch and decided to research lux, luminescence over a given area.

direct sunlight is approx 100,000 lux (depends on latitude of the sun)

daylight is approx 10,000 lux

I looked at a small LED lamp with 6,000 lux for overcast/rainy days that are dark and miserable, it's only 6-8 inches from where I need it to shine on the watch; so I assume most of the lux power will charge my solar watch. I leave it for a day under the lamp, or on a sunlit window sill. Once fully charged I believe mine will stay charged for 6 months or so.

Hi all.

Thank you richy176 for you suggestion ... I will re-post in the general section at the weekend, under a less specific heading. My Astron looks very similar to yours :)

Also, thank you to nursegladys. I have seen led lights meant for specifically charging solar powered watches, but I like your suggestion of checking the lux outputs of various led lamps, as this may be a cheaper alternative and would be potentially useful elsewhere.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Steve s21 said:

Hi all.

Thank you richy176 for you suggestion ... I will re-post in the general section at the weekend, under a less specific heading. My Astron looks very similar to yours :)

Also, thank you to nursegladys. I have seen led lights meant for specifically charging solar powered watches, but I like your suggestion of checking the lux outputs of various led lamps, as this may be a cheaper alternative and would be potentially useful elsewhere.

Steve.

@Steve s21 this is my LED light, a few quid from the flea of Bay, 6000 lux

xSOoTxC.jpg