• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Date complications , day complications , month ... nah nah nah , just 'cos you can doesn't mean you should !

haut horology blah blah whatever. NOPE !

show me a dial that is improved with the addition of a day or date complication ! 

i mean the days go in a cycle of seven - not too difficult to figure out the day assuming you have some recollection of the one before.

similarly the date is mostly yesterday's plus 1 

date complications on dive watches - that must be a big bloody air bottle you got on your back ... how long you planning on swimming for ?

and contrasting windows to dials - sort of forgivable on a dark dial opposite a baton marker (NOT really) - the only thing i dont like about my MM for the record.

whinge over , go on about your business ... 

p.s. why does everyone here go to bed so early ?:sign_question:

• Haha 5
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

haut horology blah blah whatever. NOPE ! show me a dial that is improved with the addition of a day or date complication !  i mean the days go in a cycle of seven - not too difficult to figu

What's not to like ^^^^^!   Love mine...

I don't like date windows on mechanical watches, setting the date is an irritation I can do without. Digital watches sort it out by themselves once set, not that I look at the date on a watch very often, if at all.:)

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

show me a dial that is improved with the addition of a day or date complication ! 

i mean the days go in a cycle of seven - not too difficult to figure out the day assuming you have some recollection of the one before.

date complications on dive watches - that must be a big bloody air bottle you got on your back ... how long you planning on swimming for ?

and contrasting windows to dials - sort of forgivable on a dark dial opposite a baton marker (NOT really) - the only thing i dont like about my MM for the record.

I'm still up too. Date can be useful, like today having to sign and date a form at the dentist and don't want to look dim in front of the receptionist. Except, the watch I was wearing didn't have a date, so I looked a fool anyway. And I keep thinking it's Thursday. :wheelchair:

• Haha 2

Tool watches have several complications to make them more useful for day to day use and not just a single purpose. So your analogy using diving as an example isn’t really relevant.
8 hours ago, Rotundus said:

So we can get up early to read your posts!

• Haha 1

I like no date dive watches as it gives a sence of identity to the case and the bezel in balance with the dial. 

I think my Baltic Aquascaphe would be ruined with a date complication. That dial seems to decend forever. 

Screenshot_20201121_081822

Also the Tudor BB 58 can make a statement with the overall dial without a date drawing attention. 

2021-04-10_03-38-43

On the flip side, the complexity of the day date adds some character and depth with adds to the identity. 

I feel that with my Trainmaster (which I I'm wearing right now) 

2021-04-13_08-09-21

And I think the new Brietling Premier is almost perfect as a dressier watch the the date being the real head of the dial

2021-04-08_08-48-42

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, antjrice said:

And I think the new Brietling Premier is almost perfect as a dressier watch the the date being the real head of the dial

The only comment I would make, much as I like them, the prominent features on "triple date" watches are usually the day and the month, and the date, which is the important reference for me, isn't right in your face, as is the case with the Breitling.

15 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I like no date dive watches as it gives a sence of identity to the case and the bezel in balance with the dial. 

I think my Baltic Aquascaphe would be ruined with a date complication. That dial seems to decend forever. 

Screenshot_20201121_081822

Also the Tudor BB 58 can make a statement with the overall dial without a date drawing attention. 

2021-04-10_03-38-43

On the flip side, the complexity of the day date adds some character and depth with adds to the identity. 

I feel that with my Trainmaster (which I I'm wearing right now) 

2021-04-13_08-09-21

2021-04-08_08-48-42

That Ball Trainmaster is fantastic! (drool)

• Thanks 1

Arghh!!! 

I totally agree! Watch complications, dates, times, little pictures in little windows.. moons!

They even make the hour hands go around TWICE in one day.. TWICE.. 

What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

large.1669305005_IMG_20210413_0849054832.jpg.2eb33c7b0f5d3d07f26d6edb9429d465.jpg

:taz:

:whistling:

• Haha 3

Anything from Glashutte, with their big date.  But my honest preference for full calendar watches is quartz power, so the moonphase is always right.  Imagine the embarassment of seeing a waxing gibbous moon on your watch only to have it pointed out the moon is actually a waning crescent.

I hang around with Professor Brian cox a lot :laugh:

• Haha 2

Three reasons why i swerve date watches , firstly i can't mostly see to read the date unless it's particularly big or has a magnifier , secondly i'ts a pain to keep resetting dates when you regularly rotate what watch you wear , and finally i prefer the more simple symmetrical look. ... i have been known to not bother setting the dates because i can't see them and nobody else is getting close enough to read it eeither.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Igerswis said:

Tool watches have several complications to make them more useful for day to day use and not just a single purpose. So your analogy using diving as an example isn’t really relevant.

nobody dives in a dive watch anyway - some of them just look nice :laughing2dw:

3 hours ago, Alpha550t said:

So we can get up early to read your posts!

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, WRENCH said:

W-849MovadoCalendamaticWatch_01.jpg?v=15

trust wrench to throw a spanner in the works :whistling: not my cup of tea but each to their own i suppose :drinks:

2 hours ago, antjrice said:

well we agree on that at least - now get rid of the leather strap ! :scared:

2 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Arghh!!! 

I totally agree! 

:taz:

:whistling:

there we go , see i am right :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

I hang around with Professor Brian cox a lot :laugh:

ah Dara O Briain its yerself is it ? :thumbsup:

53 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

Three reasons why i swerve date watches , firstly blah blah yadda yadda yadda 

correct mostly - although not actually setting the correct date may mean you are a lunatic :OyVey:

ok, thats this bit of the internet fixed - where else can i sort out today ???

all opinions are correct at time of typing but may be subject to change by the time i have finished the mug of tea i am in the process of drinking :rltrlt:

stay safe peeps it ain't over yet :thumbsup:

Edited by Rotundus
tomfoolery
  • Haha 2
48 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

well we agree on that at least - now get rid of the leather strap ! :scared:

I'll tell you what; next time I dive with it, I'll take it off the leather strap........ :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Day.... yes i agree unnecessary, but date i use, many a time i`ve been asked 'what date is it today' some days i dont even know myself sometimes so i often have a quick glance, date wheel does look better if its same colour as the dial though.

• Like 1

During lockdown, where every day is the same and I'm seldom sure whether up is down, having the day and date on my wrist has proved to be more useful than ever before.

Is have posted this reply yesterday but I thought it was Thursday.

Thank you OP, I love a good complications rant. 

Why would I need to know the day of the week when diving? Actially thinking about it, the only time I forget what day it is, is on holiday, which is also the only time I'd be diving. Even so, date would suffice.

Far more useful when under the surface is a power reserve:

17720268-1-640.png

Thinking about only diving on holiday, I suppose a GMT could be justified:

Screenshot-20210414-084638-Chrome.jpg

Aside from divers, I appreciate complications, but have little interest minute repeaters, perpetual calendars etc. 

What I do like is when complication is implemented in a way without text or numbers, regardless of how impractical:

Month:

Screenshot-20210414-085457-Chrome.jpg

Day:

Screenshot-20210414-090224-Chrome.jpg

<pretentious post begins> There is something about the way that these display the passing of time which moves away from the man-made segmented concept of time, and conveys a more natural, fluid notion of how we pass through life <pretentious post ends>

42 minutes ago, CB200 said:

Day:

Screenshot-20210414-090224-Chrome.jpg

<pretentious post begins> There is something about the way that these display the passing of time which moves away from the man-made segmented concept of time, and conveys a more natural, fluid notion of how we pass through life <pretentious post ends>

Ah, but that impression is somewhat lost when the anonymous day markers still show 2 days weekend. Not really freeing you from the grind is it?

Edited by Perlative Cernometer
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Ah, but that impression is somewhat lost when the anonymous day markers still show 2 days weekend. Not really freeing you from the grind is it?

Haha, yes I suppose so; a constant reminder that the weekend is but a fleeting relief in an otherwise constant grind :shothead:

4 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

bugger hadn't noticed that :laughing2dw:  - i do like these though (price aside obvi) - still trying to get my head around the hand at 12 though.