• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New watch day! Ball Engineer III Ohio

Lovely looking piece, but the Tritium issue would annoy me? - My Nite Alpha has Tritium that a passing satellite could see! - What are Ball doing to their to make them so weak?
Anyway, heath to wear ... :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

Really like that and a fair number of the watches they make. I just wish they made them in smaller sizes

This example is only 40mm (although it may looker bigger on my small 6.5in wrists!). 

8 hours ago, PaulBoy said:

Lovely looking piece, but the Tritium issue would annoy me? - My Nite Alpha has Tritium that a passing satellite could see! - What are Ball doing to their to make them so weak?
Anyway, heath to wear ... :thumbsup: 

Mine are fine, they don't light up like a 'charged' Seiko, but that effect only lasts a limited time anyway.  Tritium tubes are still glowing away steadily all night and surpass any other lume after an hour, two at the most.  Try them side by side and compare them after a few hrs!

Edited by Jet Jetski

17 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Mine are fine, they don't light up like a 'charged' Seiko, but that effect only lasts a limited time anyway.  Tritium tubes are still glowing away steadily all night and surpass any other lume after an hour, two at the most.  Try them side by side and compare them after a few hrs!

I wonder if the optimal volume of gas is higher than the tiny tubes allow, therefore not an issue on other models with wider tubes. 

Don't get me wrong, they're emitting light all the time, it's just very faint on the train master and not very bright on the Engineer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, antjrice said:

This example is only 40mm (although it may looker bigger on my small 6.5in wrists!). 

40mm without a bezel often ends up looking like a plate on my wrist. Its very handsome, the blue is fantastic.

I'm really taken with the rainbow model

BallWatchCompanyEngineerIIRainbowLimited

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, antjrice said:

I wonder if the optimal volume of gas is higher than the tiny tubes allow, therefore not an issue on other models with wider tubes. 

Don't get me wrong, they're emitting light all the time, it's just very faint on the train master and not very bright on the Engineer. 

Be aware that tritium has a half life of 12 yrs, which is why I won't buy an old Ball watch - after 12 years half of the tritium will have stopped doing its stuff, and after 24 years 3/4 will have decayed.  I make it that about a third of the tritium will be defunct after only 6 years.  So there is a big fall off in performance at first gradually levelling off  -  exponential maybe.   That is why I waited until I was nearly 60 before I bought a tritium gas tube watch.

7 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Be aware that tritium has a half life of 12 yrs, which is why I won't buy an old Ball watch - after 12 years half of the tritium will have stopped doing its stuff, and after 24 years 3/4 will have decayed.  I make it that about a third of the tritium will be defunct after only 6 years.  So there is a big fall off in performance at first gradually levelling off  -  exponential maybe.   That is why I waited until I was nearly 60 before I bought a tritium gas tube watch.

Indeed, I am aware but these are both brand new watches. Of course, that does not mean they were manufactured in the last 12 months but I'd be surprised if it were closer to 6 years (for example) but I get the logic that tritium decay is exponential. 

1 hour ago, antjrice said:

Indeed, I am aware but these are both brand new watches. Of course, that does not mean they were manufactured in the last 12 months but I'd be surprised if it were closer to 6 years (for example) but I get the logic that tritium decay is exponential. 

It would be interesting to know the age of the gas, ie how long it spends between manufacture and getting into the tubes, and the tubes being made and the watches going on sale.

• Agree 1

On 15/04/2021 at 11:55, al_kaholik said:

40mm without a bezel often ends up looking like a plate on my wrist. Its very handsome, the blue is fantastic.

I'm really taken with the rainbow model

BallWatchCompanyEngineerIIRainbowLimited

One went up for sale on TZ today but already gone. Bit unusual for a Ball on there as they tend to hang around.

• Thanks 1