• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Your thoughts on this Rolex please...

Hi Time-Lords! I'm taking my first step into luxury brand watches and fallen for this lovely looking Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Its priced at approx £5500 (the max I can afford) and want something preowned  that will at least hold its value over the years. Although its an oyster perpetual it's dial is unusual and really eye-catching. I had been looking at a black dialed Explorer II but prefer the more original dial of this one (seem to be loads of preowned explorers on sale) . The cash outlay is a bit scary so I'd love any advice on

1. Is this a safe buy (ito holding its value)?

2.what are your thoughts on this model and dial?

3. Anything else you feel I should be aware of?

Greatly appreciate any advice . I can't seem to add a photo so here's a link to an image of the watch 

https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-oyster-perpetual-silver-blue-concentric-dial-unisex-watch-116000/id-j_7840521/

The picture to save everyone clicking the link...7840521_master.jpg?disable=upscale&auto=

Advice wise, I don't know even a fraction of what is required to answer whether it will hold its value, but blindly assume that most Rolex will sit at a level and probably even appreciate over a given timespan if maintained and looked after.

I could offer my thoughts on this watch and the dial, but it doesn't matter, it is what YOU like when buying a watch and that is five-thousand-five-hundred times more important with a watch of this value.

The only other thing I can think to add, and it is very basic and I am sure something that you have already conisdered:

1) Try to leave yourself enough to get it serviced by someone reputable once you receive it, it means you start on the right foot and get a little assurance that all is as advertised.

2) Be careful where and who you purchase from, its a big chunk of money for anyone, so you want to be sure that you are indeed buying exactly what you believe that you are buying.

3) Wear it, enjoy it, be unashamed of it and look after it.

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PuffingPanda said:

Greatly appreciate any advice . I can't seem to add a photo so here's a link to an image of the watch 

https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-oyster-perpetual-silver-blue-concentric-dial-unisex-watch-116000/id-j_7840521/

1. Probably

2. Model is great, dial is not a choice I would make, a plain dial would be much nicer after all you already know it is an officially certified Oyster Perpetual and a Superlative Chronometer why do you need reminding every time you look at the watch?

3. No

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PuffingPanda said:

Hi Time-Lords! I'm taking my first step into luxury brand watches and fallen for this lovely looking Rolex Oyster Perpetual. Its priced at approx £5500 (the max I can afford) and want something preowned  that will at least hold its value over the years. Although its an oyster perpetual it's dial is unusual and really eye-catching. I had been looking at a black dialed Explorer II but prefer the more original dial of this one (seem to be loads of preowned explorers on sale) . The cash outlay is a bit scary so I'd love any advice on

Don't forget that its propensity to 'hold its value' will be determined by its perceived desirability and future selling prospects. By that token I'd give this one a wide berth. You might like it but will anyone else should you need to sell?

A better bet might be this one:

11922742_master.jpg?disable=upscale&auto 

https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/jewelry/watches/wrist-watches/rolex-oyster-perpetual-mens-stainless-steel-watch-116000/id-j_11922742/

Are you US-based? If not, factor in an extra 20% import tax on top of the price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JoT said:

... dial is not a choice I would make, a plain dial would be much nicer after all you already know it is an officially certified Oyster Perpetual and a Superlative Chronometer why do you need reminding every time you look at the watch?

This for me too I'm afraid .

Must admit I do not like the dial and it is too small for me. Over the last few years  watches have been getting bigger and 36mm has tended to be listed in the women's watch section of catalogues. That just makes me wonder how easy it will be to sell this later = sure it would sell be maybe take a while.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a stack for all your feedback, its much appreciated! I'm surprised by the general dislike for this dial.  I find most of the Rolex dials a bit too conservative for my taste, so tend to go for the more unique/original looks. That said, it's all about personal preference. You've also given me some great tips so far...

15 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Must admit I do not like the dial and it is too small for me. Over the last few years  watches have been getting bigger and 36mm has tended to be listed in the women's watch section of catalogues. That just makes me wonder how easy it will be to sell this later = sure it would sell be maybe take a while.

I was a bit concerned about this, but, from what I've read, the literature seems to suggest a move away from larger dials again... 

I honestly think that's the sort of watch that belongs in a larger collection. My hunch is that you could do worse than sniff out a more classic looking Rolex if that's the brand you are sold on .... However .... If you are nervous about money retention , why not spend half as much on another luxury brand and then not care about resale !?Just a thought ... 

6 minutes ago, PuffingPanda said:

the literature seems to suggest a move away from larger dials again... 

Not really ... the Oyster Pep 39mm was discontinued last year and replaced with a Oyster Pep 41mm . The 39mm was readily available , The 41mm is only available from the watch spivs .. so that says it all. 

My advice is not to worry about the future watch value. 

For a big purchase, buy it like you want to see it on your wrist for the rest of your days. 

If this was a watch to stash £5.5k for now then I'd advice something else but it sounds like you really want it. 

If you decide to go another way in the future, let the circumstances take care of themselves. 

Edited by antjrice

1 minute ago, antjrice said:

My advice is not to worry about the future watch value. 

For a big purchase, buy it like you want to see it on your wrist for the rest of your days. 

If this was a watch to stash £5.5k for now then I'd advice something else but it sounds like you really want this it. 

If you decide to go another way in the future, let the circumstances take care of themselves. 

Exactly this.

Looking at the bigger picture, when I decided I didn't want a car anymore, adding up all the associated expenses, running costs, depreciation etc, etc, the saving per year is more than the cost of the Rolex you're looking at. So, there's many different ways to look at what you do with your money and how you waste/spend it. I'd rather buy something I like, and not worry about how much it'll be worth in years to come. Possibly better to worry about living healthily in order to enjoy your purchase for the rest of your life. :thumbsup:

• Agree 3

£5.5k is steep for this watch. Until very recently you could pick one up for £3.5k. That alone would put me off.  Better to put your name down for a brand new 36mm OP, £1k cheaper and I can't believe the wait will be too long.

Given what you're all saying, I'm reconsidering my 2nd fave, the Explorer II, larger but more conventional.

https://www.xupes.com/watches/product-details/11382/rolex/explorer-ii-stainless-steel-216570.html

My main worry with the OP is its small 36 size. You guys have reaffirmed that, plus many other useful points. Any negatives on the Explorer II ?

Ps. How do you insert an image- doesn't seem to give me the option  perhaps need those 50 post first?

I like that, and whilst I'm no expert, I think you are far more likely to be able to quickly get most or all (or of things continue as they are, more) of your money back quickly if you needed or wanted to with that one.

Rolex-Explorer-II-216570.jpg

The number of people that would go for that has got to be astronomically high with this than your first choice.

But as has been said, first decide how important it is that you could turn the watch back in to cash, and then decide which watch YOU like, you should be wearing it to be yourself and because its the watch that you like, not the one that most OTHER people would like.

5 minutes ago, PuffingPanda said:

Given what you're all saying, I'm reconsidering my 2nd fave, the Explorer II, larger but more conventional.

https://www.xupes.com/watches/product-details/11382/rolex/explorer-ii-stainless-steel-216570.html

My main worry with the OP is its small 36 size. You guys have reaffirmed that, plus many other useful points. Any negatives on the Explorer II ?

Ps. How do you insert an image- doesn't seem to give me the option  perhaps need those 50 post first?

Don't take this the wrong way , but if you swing so quickly between a fancy OP and a GMT sports watch then I would explore [ see what I did there ] watches a bit more and wait until the world opens up a bit and try a few on ...

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Don't take this the wrong way , but if you swing so quickly between a fancy OP and a GMT sports watch then I would explore [ see what I did there ] watches a bit more and wait until the world opens up a bit and try a few on ...

Nothing wrong with swinging, ask anyone in my village!

(For the record, the bricey household does NOT partake in such activities, I think we're the only house left within a 5 mile radius without a hot tub!)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bricey said:

I think we're the only house left within a 5 mile radius without a hot tub!)

Ahhhh, the "must-have impressive show-off piece for the suffocating middle classes" [ was how Jeremy Clarkson put it ] ,,, or as I put it ,,, a reservoir for Impetigo, Gastroenteritis and Legionella 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Ahhhh, the "must-have impressive show-off piece for the suffocating middle classes" [ was how Jeremy Clarkson put it ] ,,, or as I put it ,,, a reservoir for Impetigo, Gastroenteritis and Legionella 

On the one hand, I have a long running hip problem following an accident 5-6 years ago, that might actually benefit from using a hot tub.

Recently discovered one of the pins has snapped (in me, not my watch, thankfully) and getting uncomfortable most days:

Awie4yv.jpg

However, despite all of this, the thought of sitting in a bath in view of my neighbours, or worse, suggesting a shared bath with friends and family when they visit, just does not appeal.

Maybe I'll get a hydro bath in the main bathroom one day, but I personally don't see the point of putting on trunks to take a bath in my back garden.

Each to their own.

• Sad 1

I'm getting a hint of sky dweller , personally I think its to busy , to much going on on the dial , but others may not , i feel the potential audience for purchase/sale is going to be  much smaller than if it were a more subtle/subdued dial