• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

First world Dilemma

So...

im currently having an inner debate, as I can’t let the wife know how much i invest in my watches!

choice A: 2009 Rolex Air King with blue dial and Roman numerals, original papers and box.

choice B: 2021 Jaeger Le Coultre master date, black leather strap, and still has 7 years manufacturing warranty.

I was dead set on the Jaeger, but the Rolex is cheaper by £500... and it’s a Rolex!

I feel it should be a no brainer and it’s Jaeger all the way, any advice/ opinions welcome

High horology vs high returns.

I can't give you any advice other than I own an Air King which I love, and my grail watch is a JLC Reverso, take from that what you will.

Try them both on (if you can) would be the only advice I could give, I have walked into AD's ready to buy, but tried a watch on and thought that watch is not for me.

I hope your wife survives @nursegladysadvice. :teethsmile:

JLC for me.  Though it depends on you...  if its an everyday wearer really its better to have a bracelet watch... wearing the same leather strap every day isn't so great as the leather gets sweaty and gets no rest.

JLC is classier than Rolex however if you are expecting to resell the Rolex will probably hold better value and be easier to sell.   

2 hours ago, Muddy D said:

I have had a similar dilemma. Rolex and JLC are well known brands to the wider public so why not get something like a Tudor or IWC. You'll know the quality but more inconspicuous 

This IWC would leave you £1500 for a "beater" :evil9kf:

1649284.jpeg.transform.buying-options_wa

2 hours ago, Muddy D said:

I have had a similar dilemma. Rolex and JLC are well known brands to the wider public so why not get something like a Tudor or IWC. You'll know the quality but more inconspicuous 

I already have an IWC, and that’s what has made the Roly catch my eye.

the only bracelet watches I have at the moment are a Longines hydroconquest, and a GS.

My Navi and IWC, both have black leather straps, so JLC would have to be dark brown.

3 hours ago, Jonesinamillion said:

At this end of the spectrum (an and I'm not at), the five hundred quid difference is negligible surely?

It is when I can spend that on the wife, it’s the proverbial “throw the dog a bone” keeps her of the scent:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

JLC for me.  Though it depends on you...  if its an everyday wearer really its better to have a bracelet watch... wearing the same leather strap every day isn't so great as the leather gets sweaty and gets no rest.

JLC is classier than Rolex however if you are expecting to resell the Rolex will probably hold better value and be easier to sell.   

The JLC is probably the closest I’ll ever get to experiencing one of the “big 3”.

I had a Rolex some years back, paid £1700 new, sold it a year ago for £4K.

Think I’ll pull the trigger on the JLC.. then get on a waiting list and hopefully have a GMT before 2030

33 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Elegant.

1 hour ago, yokel said:

Entirely "your wrist, your money" issue.

But, as you are seeking opinions from others: the two are not even close. Rolex are brash; JLC are sophisticated. 

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

I meant "Elegant" AND "Sophisticated.

Or buy both and sell a kidney.

No point buying a Rolex if you don't want to know you are spending a bit of a wedge on your watch. If you ask 100 people `what watch is expensive' then top answer would be Rolex.

Of course, if you asked 100 forum members you might get 100 different answers.

• Haha 1

Neither.

I bet you already have a really nice watch or two.. go and have fun.

Recently, I spent all of £7 on a wrist sundial to have beers in the garden on sunny days. I'm going to have more enjoyment and laughs with my mates wearing this than you will buying either of those watches. 

The icing on the cake is that my woman won't complain and I will still have money for barbeques and beers.

On 15/04/2021 at 19:54, LordOfTime said:

im currently having an inner debate, as I can’t let the wife know how much i invest in my watches!

Blimey, someone needs to grow a pair.... :laughing2dw:

My advice would be to go for the Jaeger.  Oh, and lying is never a good idea, so tell your wife exactly how much it costs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Oh, and lying is never a good idea, so tell your wife exactly how much it costs.

Good idea, especially if you have a mate like me who will tell your wife the cost of your purchase was double what it really was. :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Good idea, especially if you have a mate like me who will tell your wife the cost of your purchase was double what it really was. :laughing2dw:

I used to have a mechanic who made my life a misery, every spring his wife used to put him on a diet and his snap box was cracker breads with cottage cheese. He obviously put them straight in the bin and went to the chippy every day.

I took great pleasure in telling his wife at the Christmas party.:evil9kf:

Edited by Bow

13 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

Neither.

I bet you already have a really nice watch or two.. go and have fun.

Recently, I spent all of £7 on a wrist sundial to have beers in the garden on sunny days. I'm going to have more enjoyment and laughs with my mates wearing this than you will buying either of those watches. 

The icing on the cake is that my woman won't complain and I will still have money for barbeques and beers.

I’m sure I’ll enjoy the look on my sons face more when I present him with one of these watches in 30 years time, than you will when having a liver transplant because of those “ crazy days in the beer garden with your mates” most of which you’ll have forgotten about due to brain cells being pickled:smiley-faces-85:

Btw, offcourse my wife knows how much they cost, ( it’s called taking the piss) and I sense some inflated self importance amongst some comments!

life’s way too short to take offence, laugh it off and move on:thumbs_up:

• Like 1

:smiley-faces-85: <--- That, is probably not the emoji you think it is.

11 hours ago, LordOfTime said:

I’m sure I’ll enjoy the look on my sons face more when I present him with one of these watches in 30 years time, than you will when having a liver transplant because of those “ crazy days in the beer garden with your mates” most of which you’ll have forgotten about due to brain cells being pickled:smiley-faces-85:

Btw, offcourse my wife knows how much they cost, ( it’s called taking the piss) and I sense some inflated self importance amongst some comments!

life’s way too short to take offence, laugh it off and move on:thumbs_up:

Yeah, you enjoy that look.

In the meantime, I'm off out to enjoy life and all it has to offer while I still can.

Whichever watch you choose, I'm sure it will be the right choice. :notworthy:

21 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

:smiley-faces-85: <--- That, is probably not the emoji you think it is.

Yeah, you enjoy that look.

In the meantime, I'm off out to enjoy life and all it has to offer while I still can.

Whichever watch you choose, I'm sure it will be the right choice. :notworthy:

There’s much more to life than a beer garden:thumbsup:

:smiley-faces-85:…That can mean whatever I want it to.

Live and let live:thumbs_up:

• Confused 1