• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Extension started this week!

Craftycockney

So the challenges begin! Matching the roof tiles that are now discontinued. I spoke to the manufacturer who suggested I replace the whole roof with the new version of the old tile which is 20% smaller in size! How convenient. 

Local merchant only has 200 tiles in stock I need double that, everwhere else said salvage yards or ebay is the only to find tiles.

Even if I want to replace the entire roof with a new tile supplier's are struggling to meet the demands with 4 month lead times.

Luckily after some more searching I managed to find some reclaimed tiles of a guy who just replaced his whole roof for new ones. Shade is slightly different but will have to do as not really got much choice.

20210826_124701.jpg

20210826_140040.jpg

20210826_124823.jpg

Just now, Craftycockney said:

So the challenges begin! Matching the roof tiles that are now discontinued. I spoke to the manufacturer who suggested I replace the whole roof with the new version of the old tile which is 20% smaller in size! How convenient. 

Local merchant only has 200 tiles in stock I need double that, everwhere else said salvage yards or ebay is the only to find tiles.

Even if I want to replace the entire roof with a new tile supplier's are struggling to meet the demands with 4 month lead times.

Luckily after some more searching I managed to find some reclaimed tiles of a guy who just replaced his whole roof for new ones. Shade is slightly different but will have to do as not really got much choice.

20210826_124701.jpg

20210826_140040.jpg

20210826_124823.jpg

20210831_185733.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

When our neighbour had the same problem with their extension, the builder used existing tiles from the back of the property on the front so that they matched where it would be seen, and used the newer tiles at the back where they weren't so noticeable.

That's what we did, as the original Scotch slate is really hard to come by now and we could only get Spanish, willy-nilly slate shuffle worked a treat.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 27/10/2021 at 17:59, Biker said:

By 'eck!  There's some amount of excavation and building going on there..

Looking good mind, Keen to see how you'll finish the garden.

:thumbs_up:

600 concrete blocks delivered for the retaining wall! 

Supply is still an issue. Had to change skylights due lead time so hopefully can finish next week and french doors by end of the week.

20211029_162324.jpg

20211029_162324(0).jpg

20211029_162306.jpg

20211029_162304.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Biker said:

Nice one, I wondered if they were those Febmast(?) blocks, the ones you can cut with a handsaw.

Those are breeze blocks from what I understand and yes you can use a handsaw to cut through pretty easy.

The builder had to use the power saw with the stone blade to get through these beauty's. Will most likely still be standing way after I'm gone.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Wow, great stuff @Craftycockney. I went back to the beginning of the thread to get the full perspective on the work; thanks for the great pics and commentary.:)

I would love to do this full time, project manage builds like this. Maybe it will happen in the future who knows...

• Like 2

So with the unpredictable British weather builder finally agreed to abandon outside work(well after a few arguments with me)

So 1st shower room going in, this will be located in the internal garage allowing for the old bathroom to be decommissioned and knock through to new side extension. 

This is being built from scratch so will update once it starts to look like a bathroom.

20211213_134224.jpg

20211213_134230.jpg

20211213_134235.jpg

• Like 3