• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Left-field suggestions for a Spring purchase, please?

AVO

It's usually around this time of year that I feel the need to add something to the box, and I'm feeling the itch at the moment. Usually I have a clear idea of what I want, but not this time. Here's the current "modern" box:

42880CA2-B345-4D36-842B-1411F2026FE4.thumb.jpeg.644fa90b7c7d385047705dba2d7f4bfd.jpeg

4 x CWs; Mako; MeisterSinger; Speedy and Tank,

With the exception of the Mako, the gold C5 and the Speedy (which is just iconic), they are all a bit "left-field": the MS of course is a single-hander; the CW C65 Trident Diver is not a diver that is really trying too hard to look like a Sub; the two CW chronographs are part of a fairly unique series; and the Tank, although an icon and a classic, is a bit left-field with the shape, the huge numerals and the cabochon - lots of people say they like it but couldn't wear it.

So, left-field to me is something that's not so common on watch forums, and also something that isn't really replicated in my own watch box.

Budget of up to around £2.5k. I'm happy to go lower, but it must be high quality.

No divers, fliegers, chronographs, military, quartz or watches over 40mm.

One thing I wouldn't mind is a "true" GMT, though it might be difficult in that price range. Otherwise possibly looking at Nomos. I used to have a Tangente.

Any ideas, please?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bricey said:

My "left field" item on the wish list is an Oris Frank Sinatra, might not tick your boxes (it is left field after all)

Correct on all points, but thank you!:)

7 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

J S Watch of Iceland

Farer

18k vintage Longines/AP/VC

Thank you, Scott. I already have an 18k Longines from the '60s, so not looking at vintage.

Farer - left field, but they always seem to use one colour too many.

JS - interesting; haven't seen much of them for a few years - I'll take a look.

• Like 1

On reading the OP, my first thought was a JS Watch Co. piece, as I've not seen them mentioned much here, but they're on my own wish list and my husband has seen one that he'd really like.  Delighted that they've already been recommended.   I have the idea that I'd like to go and choose one in person.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

I’ve owned a Frank Sinatra,bought on a whim ,soon flipped it.

I've been close to picking up a second hand one a few times, but fear I might so the same.

Maybe one day I'll take a punt rather than just staying in my lane, but then there is so much "in my lane" that I still haven't had a chance to try. :laughing2dw:

I presume that you are only looking at new, but if pre-owned is on the table:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grand-Seiko-SBGN003-GMT-39mm-9-Weeks-Old-worn-Twice-at-Home-/393244705683?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

If looking only new, I've fancied one of these, which again is outside of my normal (although not way out left field).

https://www.berrysjewellers.co.uk/watches-c10/montblanc-star-date-39mm-silver-arabic-dial-automatic-watch-p8456

montblanc-star-date-39mm-silver-arabic-d

Or, fully left field (like so far we'd call it WEST rather than LEFT!) but unique

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALL-Engineer-III-StarLight-Amortiser-BlueDial-NM2182C-S9-BE2-/133728865573?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

And my final suggestion, not exactly wide in the outfield for most people, is:

https://www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/gents-tudor-royal-date-blue-dial-stainless-steel-bracelet-m28500-0005.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjuqDBhAGEiwAdX2cj-GuXiX-Kk7JNemgMduq4nGxG6shF8TfA_EZOHTKoCJC_pJq_6tFXhoCwd4QAvD_BwE

2-094-02-0070-hero.jpg

Which ticks boots "bit of blue" box.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Pity the Tissot Navigator is too big. Chronometer, world time, and GMT if required, and well within budget

Great watch! I have kept an eye out for the vintage model, and missed a beauty a couple of years ago. Thank you.

4 hours ago, BooJewels said:

On reading the OP, my first thought was a JS Watch Co. piece, as I've not seen them mentioned much here, but they're on my own wish list and my husband has seen one that he'd really like.  Delighted that they've already been recommended.   I have the idea that I'd like to go and choose one in person.

You should.  The shop is tiny, Gilbert is lovely and Iceland is very expensive to eat and drink but interesting too

• Thanks 1

Really dig the collection. No true diver? You like Christopher Ward so much why not a Trident or GMT? Or Maybe something vintage? Like one of those electronic Omega F300? I have one and love it! Although the bakalite bezel insert fades with time and doesn't look perfect, I still love mine!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Really dig the collection. No true diver? You like Christopher Ward so much why not a Trident or GMT?

Thanks. I do have the Trident Diver there as well as an Orient Mako. The MS has 200m WR so that's the swimming watches covered. TBH, I'm not so keen on the diver style. I had a 43mm Trident GMT. Lovely watch but the crown messed up the back of my hand.

Also not looking for Quartz/electronic.

11 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

I can recommend the Oris's motor-racing inspired Chronoris as something you don't see much

Certainly has a left-field quality, but not really my type. Thanks anyway.

The most interesting suggestion I have seen so far (elsewhere) is a pre-owned Ulysse Nardin San Marco GMT+/- Big Date. High quality, very unusual and quite a decent bargain for what it is...

9420t1010107-ulysse-nardin-san-marco-ref

• Like 1