Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Incoming


Recommended Posts

I've just been looking at a hand engraved watch, I love them but am not confident I'd be able to carry it off, and the price was a little over my "take a punt" levels.

That one looks stunning.

 

The two I'd seen (prefer the second link)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Egard-Bermuda-Skeleton-Mens-watch-Excellent-unmarked-condition-/164818963025?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALL-Engineer-III-StarLight-Amortiser-BlueDial-NM2182C-S9-BE2-hand-engraved-/133728865573?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bulova's an easy win, I feel like I ought to hate that Victorinox but I really don't, I think it's fab.

.... The Alexander Shorokhoff .... That's quite an idiosyncratic watch. How can I put this? It could be great, you might love it, but given your track record I'll wager you find a couple of odd details you hate when you get your hands on it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Bulova's an easy win, I feel like I ought to hate that Victorinox but I really don't, I think it's fab.

.... The Alexander Shorokhoff .... That's quite an idiosyncratic watch. How can I put this? It could be great, you might love it, but given your track record I'll wager you find a couple of odd details you hate when you get your hands on it.

I'm really praying you're wrong, and I have a gut feeling you are, but I don't disagree with your logic. Anything that stands out to you that makes you say that about the Shorokhoff? The things that give me pause are the hands, they are kind of quintessential AS hands, but utterly lacking in any lume always bothers me a little. But that damn dial is to die for! And with the black leather with white stitching strap it comes on, I think I'll find the necessary contrasting that I always demand with my watches and wardrobe. Eh... We'll see, but I do have the same fears.

I agree about the Victorinox, I wanted to hate it even, but every time I looked at it I thought, "damn that just looks good." At 1400 I figured I'd give it a whirl, had the funds burning a hole in my savings account anyway. Same with the Shorokhoff.

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I've just been looking at a hand engraved watch, I love them but am not confident I'd be able to carry it off, and the price was a little over my "take a punt" levels.

That one looks stunning.

 

The two I'd seen (prefer the second link)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Egard-Bermuda-Skeleton-Mens-watch-Excellent-unmarked-condition-/164818963025?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BALL-Engineer-III-StarLight-Amortiser-BlueDial-NM2182C-S9-BE2-hand-engraved-/133728865573?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

 

That Ball Engineer is from the same guy that did my Victorinox. He's a gun engraver from Texas, the Ball he did better work with, but I didn't love the watch as I'm so sick and tired of black dial watches.

I owned the Egard Bermuda, it sucks!!! The bracelet is pure garbage, with extremely sharp edges on the underside, it literally cut my wrists up, looked like I got a new kitten that had torn me up playing with it. It was a major arm hair puller as well. The engraving was poor quality also. Don't do it!!!!! I gave mine away immediately!

Edited by JayDeep
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I'm really praying you're wrong, and I have a gut feeling you are, but I don't disagree with your logic. Anything that stands out to you that makes you say that about the Shorokhoff? The things that give me pause are the hands, they are kind of quintessential AS hands, but utterly lacking in any lume always bothers me a little. But that damn dial is to die for! And with the black leather with white stitching strap it comes on, I think I'll find the necessary contrasting that I always demand with my watches and wardrobe. Eh... We'll see, but I do have the same fears.

Nothing specific, it's a leftfield choice and I hope you love it, it's just got a lot going on and you are the kind of guy where if just one of those details doesn't quite sit right with you it ruins the watch for you. All adds to the anticipation though eh:wink: Looking forward to the unboxing pics.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Nothing specific, it's a leftfield choice and I hope you love it, it's just got a lot going on and you are the kind of guy where if just one of those details doesn't quite sit right with you it ruins the watch for you. All adds to the anticipation though eh:wink: Looking forward to the unboxing pics.

I do think the red strap is throwing off the overall look, and mine will not be on red, it will be a standard black leather with white stitching. I think the visual on that will be much better. I'll be sure to share unboxing pics and initial impressions in a few weeks when it arrives.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, AVO said:

The movement on the AS looks really interesting, and the engraving on the Victorinox is stunning!

Just a 3133 highly decorated, refined and regulated. Too bad they're no longer being produced though, will make future servicing very difficult some day.

I'm nervously excited for the Victorinox. The pictures aren't very good quality but his work looks very decent and he's very confident in it. So we'll see... Fingers crossed!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

And now I've ordered this... Have always wanted an H2O, ever since they first came out and especially once I saw Rafy's awesome shots!!!

H2O KALMAR 2 RACING 07.jpg

Very cool, decorated my son's room in Gulf racing colours in our last house! You realise you'll have to be posting sun drenched early morning dive shots to keep up the standard of course.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Very cool, decorated my son's room in Gulf racing colours in our last house! You realise you'll have to be posting sun drenched early morning dive shots to keep up the standard of course.

Well I could never keep up with Rafy's lifestyle, nearest beach is about 2 hours drive and I'm a fresh water only fan anyway. But I'll do some fun river floating shots this summer, plus the occasional daily "behind the wheel" shots because it is a racing inspired watch after all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All four are quite different and it looks like you are going to enjoy wearing them, the AS is a bit too much for me but I like the other three,  I like the engraving on the Victorinox reminds me of Texas belt buckles

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoT said:

All four are quite different and it looks like you are going to enjoy wearing them, the AS is a bit too much for me but I like the other three,  I like the engraving on the Victorinox reminds me of Texas belt buckles

Is it the bright red of the AS?

And good eye, the engraving is done in a southwestern texas style by a Texas gunsmith and gun engraver well known for his gun engravings. He always does his engraving in a Texas ranger style with the lonestar as the central focal point on the bracelet and case sides.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Is it the bright red of the AS?

And good eye, the engraving is done in a southwestern texas style by a Texas gunsmith and gun engraver well known for his gun engravings. He always does his engraving in a Texas ranger style with the lonestar as the central focal point on the bracelet and case sides.

Yes its too much red for me, the watch looks good as does the movement

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JoT said:

Yes its too much red for me, the watch looks good as does the movement

I figured that. I'm pretty sure that the subdials break up the monotony of the red for me enough. Plus it will actually be on black leather which should help the visuals with some necessary contrast as well. But we'll see! Fingers crossed.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well the Oceanographer has arrived and I've got to say, for fact, unquestionably, initial impressions, this is the keeper green dial!!! I'm floored by the perfection! I of course would love to have a higher beat Swiss movement in it, but the cheapo Miyota is absolutely a perfect beater! If I feel even 3/4 this way about the test of them I'll be very happy with my purchases overall!!!

So the bracelet is a bit of a hair puller, not terrible and once on I haven't noticed anything, it's just while putting the watch on it snags and rips at a couple for some reason. I love that the links are super small, makes for easy micro adjustments, plus the clasp has it's own the slot micro adjustments option as well. The look of the bracelet is phenomenal! Especially with the watch being on the larger side at 44mm, the narrow non-tapering bracelet really adds to that vintage look they were going for.

I really am just enamored with this thing! Blown away honestly. The green had very different color hues depending on the lighting. Inside standard yellow lighting shows a nice deep and dark green, while natural light outdoors can give it a slight blue-green look, and led kind of washes it out and makes it appear quite the matte and light green.

I really can't say enough about this thing and my satisfaction with the purchase. I wish they'd stuck with the standard signed crown, but on this thing they decided to go vintage again, which is the only thing I don't love about it, but it's fine and who looks at the crown ever anyway.

The clasp is very generic stamped steel. The bezel action is tight, perfectly stiff, and easy to grip because of the height. I don't love the date window magnifier, but at least it's not one of those terrible risen Rolex type that absolutely disgust me! I hardly notice it most of the time. The indicies are odd, but lend the dial that kind of "pop" that I like in a watch. I'm hoping they have some serious luminous power to them, because they're really stand out. We'll see...

The hands are all short and stout, it's almost difficult to tell the minute from the hour at a quick glance, almost.

Anyway, that's enough for now, I'm going to go enjoy my new beauty!

IMG_20210421_181518.jpg

IMG_20210421_181505.jpg

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I know some of you really hate these kinds of watches, but I don't care because I absolutely love it!!! Latest purchased a Frankenstein Seiko MM mod...

FB_IMG_1619239131161__01.jpg

FB_IMG_1619239146115__01.jpg

FB_IMG_1619239149072__01__01.jpg

Looks cool, whats not to like?

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/04/2021 at 08:05, JayDeep said:

And now I've ordered this... Have always wanted an H2O, ever since they first came out and especially once I saw Rafy's awesome shots!!!

H2O KALMAR 2 RACING 07.jpg

That's a great choice you have some nice watches.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...