• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Trading upwards.

Currently own a IWC ingenieur 2017 model, although purchased this year from AD with good discount.

despite this line receiving lots of negativity ( mostly due to the ETA clone movement) I think the watch looks stunning.

it looks very similar to the JLC master control date, which is a grail of mine.

ive been offered a good trade in price for the IWC if I purchase a 2020 model of the JLC.

question is... Is the IWC a contender in this discussion, or is it a get rid now and grab the JLC, resale isn’t on the cards, I’m thinking of leaving my watch collection to my kids.

JLC for me. Depending on how good the deal is, of course!

No comparison between the makers or the movement, really. The ETA in you IWC is good, but is what it is. The JLC has the in-house 899C, which is rather more serious, and very beautiful!

70-hour reserve, silicon escapement, blah blah.

I've just bought a JLC (only a Heraion quartz), and the build quality is stunning. 

899ac-9b.webp

• Like 1

I think they look very similar, in an ideal scenario I’d have the black strap on my IWC and brown on the JLC.

but I’m purchasing a Speedy MOTM as the chrono for my collection.

The price of the JLC is £4400, and I’m being offered £3k for my IWC.

£1400 plus an IWC for the JLC!

whilst we’re on the subject, can anyone think of a better Chrono than a speed master MOTM, obviously Rolex are not an option as I’m not paying 50% above retail for anything!

18 minutes ago, LordOfTime said:

whilst we’re on the subject, can anyone think of a better Chrono than a speed master MOTM, obviously Rolex are not an option as I’m not paying 50% above retail for anything!

Breitling Avenger Chrono if you don't mind chunky , or Speedmaster Date [ 2016-ish ]

Update, kept my IWC for now, waiting for the JLC calendar moon phase to appear on Chrono24

bought my grail Chrono, got me a tasty speedy MOTM with black leather strap ( hesalite).

figured nearly every other watch I own had sapphire and an exposed mechanism so why not.

On 20/04/2021 at 18:37, AlwaysAlba said:

If possible, see if you can have both watches next to each other and be left alone for 20 minutes. Then you will know.

If I was left alone with those two watches for 20 minutes the two things I'd know would be how quickly I could squeeze my chubby arse though a window and how fast I could run.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1