Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How picky are you?


Recommended Posts

Scale of 1-10, how "discerning" have you and your tastes become, or are you at this stage in your collecting?

I've gotten to the point where I'm much more fine tuned in my selectiveness with watches, features and details. I do still find myself occasionally doing the drunken random online purchases, but they are fewer and further between these days.

I give myself a 9! There's not much about a watch that doesn't concern me and even the smallest detail can absolutely ruin a watch for me. This makes it very difficult to find keepers, especially at any reasonably and generally "affordable" price point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say a 5.. with hints of 11.

I like all sorts of things and I would say I don't have a preference 'for' anything in particular (yet).

But.. I kinda hate bezels.. big bold useless things that don't really serve any purpose apart from making a small watch look bigger (I think I just offended everyone in here.. all I see are divers and everyone seems to go "wow.. cool"). AND.. leather/nato straps? Its not that I don't like them, I just can't bring myself to wear them.

I have a couple of bezel watches that I keep, but I'm not buying any ever ever again.

:russian_roulette:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I would say a 5.. with hints of 11.

I like all sorts of things and I would say I don't have a preference 'for' anything in particular (yet).

But.. I kinda hate bezels.. big bold useless things that don't really serve any purpose apart from making a small watch look bigger (I think I just offended everyone in here.. all I see are divers and everyone seems to go "wow.. cool"). AND.. leather/nato straps? Its not that I don't like them, I just can't bring myself to wear them.

I have a couple of bezel watches that I keep, but I'm not buying any ever ever again.

:russian_roulette:

I don't see people in here as easily offended at all. It's just a matter of taste. I prefer dive/sport watches over dress style watches, which is basically how I see things in the watch world, as one or the other. One seems masculine to me, the other very feminine.

I don't think I've ever used a bezel on any of my watches, but I like having them. Maybe it's the fidgeter in me, I rarely play with them but sometimes I do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who rarely disposes of a watch, my collection has subsequently grown, especially over the last year. 

I therefore have a self imposed need to be more picky going forward and I am starting to have a couple of rules. Firstly and most importantly I have to love the watch. And secondly, any new purchase has to fill a clear gap in the collection. 

Hopefully this will save me from myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I browse, buy and wear watches with my gut. I've got nice watches with no major issues that I just never pick up and I've got cheap tat that I'll wear just because it suits my mood or outfit or whatever. I'm quite happy to overlook faults on watches I like and I will buy watches just because I've seen something on the WRUW threads an go off looking for something with a similar vibe.

That's why I have far far too many watches kicking about, and I rarely to never spend any serious money on any single watch because I want to be able to get it wrong or try things out without worrying too much about it - just suits me to buy that way.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I don't see people in here as easily offended at all. It's just a matter of taste.

Spot-on! I have certainly become more discerning for myself, but I have also learned not to be overly critical of other people’s tastes. 

@JayDeep. I think we may have differing tastes – in fact I know that – but I saw that you made a nice comment about my collection the other day. So thank you for that.

Thinking of a non-watch analogy: there is a little place I know where we can sit outside all evening at sweet little blue painted tables, eating good food, drinking wine and watching the Sun go down over the Mediterranean, with a little harbour to one side and a quiet beach to the other. The food is unpretentious but delightful, and the bill is always a pleasant surprise. A mile or two further up the coast there is a full on, 24/7 resort where the “music” bangs out for most of the night and the promenade is lined with All You Can Eat for €10 restaurants. Guess which I prefer?

Translate that thinking into watches. I love things that are relatively quiet and sophisticated, and I’m not so keen on things that are big and brash.

And yes, I hate to admit it – but I am probably more of a brand snob these days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I would be a 7 maybe.

Ive had things I think I 'must' have like a skeleton watch, to the point I nearly purchased a very cheap one just to fill the gap but I think I have overcome that now although something like a Timex MK1 for £40 on a deal is difficult to pass by. My collection has hit 42, all watch case slots filled. I have some I want to sell and some I thought were such a good deal I had to buy them but didnt really think if I liked or needed them in my collection at the time and now I dont want them. 

I struggle to turn down high discounts, I recently bought a Seiko SBP079J1 but it was only £360. 

There are a lot of brands I have come to learn about and because I have seen significant discounts in the past I find the latest years watches are absolutly no use to me other than window shopping because I couldnt buy somethinig for £1000 to see in 12 months it was half price, it would churn away at me inside. I am basically collecting 2 years behind everyone else buying 2018/2019 watches while everyone else is looking at the latest eye candy.

My biggest struggle is the spend limit. I think some of my watches, Seiko SARB017 £400, Seiko SBP079J1 Blue Bezel £360, Hamilton Khaki Mechanical £200, RADO Hyperchrome £580, Smiths Expedition £325 all brand new retail are such good watches that I cant bring myself to break the £500 mark. I wanted the Tudor Black Bay 36mm for months but I just cant see how at £2200 I will think its worth it or feels multiple times better than anything else I have. 

I have also been surprised how much I like straps and how significant strap choice is. Ive had watches I didnt like but once the perfect strap combo has been found its become a keeper. 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll tell you what else is a problem for me - I love to be surprised when a watch exceeds expectations. That's why I'll never spend serious money on a watch, once you get past a couple of grand that doesn't apply any more, you expect the watch to be good so your only options then when it turns up are satisfied or disappointed..

  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, AVO said:

Spot-on! I have certainly become more discerning for myself, but I have also learned not to be overly critical of other people’s tastes. 

@JayDeep. I think we may have differing tastes – in fact I know that – but I saw that you made a nice comment about my collection the other day. So thank you for that.

Thinking of a non-watch analogy: there is a little place I know where we can sit outside all evening at sweet little blue painted tables, eating good food, drinking wine and watching the Sun go down over the Mediterranean, with a little harbour to one side and a quiet beach to the other. The food is unpretentious but delightful, and the bill is always a pleasant surprise. A mile or two further up the coast there is a full on, 24/7 resort where the “music” bangs out for most of the night and the promenade is lined with All You Can Eat for €10 restaurants. Guess which I prefer?

Translate that thinking into watches. I love things that are relatively quiet and sophisticated, and I’m not so keen on things that are big and brash.

And yes, I hate to admit it – but I am probably more of a brand snob these days.

Actually I thought your collection was very much my taste and style for the most part, minus the two on the right I think it was, dressy types. But the rest are totally my style, love the Christopher Ward pieces especially!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Ive had watches I didnt like but once the perfect strap combo has been found its become a keeper.

agreed

 

23 minutes ago, AVO said:

And yes, I hate to admit it – but I am probably more of a brand snob these days.

I would like to be a brand snob, and my latest buy was an Omega, but this is a real 'go to' for accuracy.  I have a couple of high grade autos both keeping withing Chronometer spec, one officially certified, but this Miyota 8215 is possessed.  I really like wearing it, and just putting it straight on from the winder.

IMG_20210420_113250230(1).jpg.7cb3f27a8233c35a9e98bbd343a71786.jpg

Furthermore, every time I wear my steel chronometer, I seem to whack it on something, meanwhile Mr. Cheap and cheerful here has a charmed life. 

2 microns of rose gold PVD and not a scratch!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I would like to be a brand snob, and my latest buy was an Omega, but this is a real 'go to' for accuracy.  I have a couple of high grade autos both keeping within Chronometer spec, one officially certified, but this Miyota 8215 is possessed.  I really like wearing it, and just putting it straight on from the winder.

IMG_20210420_113250230(1).jpg.7cb3f27a8233c35a9e98bbd343a71786.jpg

Furthermore, every time I wear my steel chronometer, I seem to whack it on something, meanwhile Mr. Cheap and cheerful here has a charmed life. 

2 microns of rose gold PVD and not a scratch!

You know what I was just saying about seeing something in the WRUW threads and just taking a fancy..... Had this saved in my ebay watch list for weeks now since you got one and I'm not sure how many more times I can resist when you keep putting photos up...  I know it's basically cheap nonsense but I'm quite taken with it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

There's not much about a watch that doesn't concern me and even the smallest detail can absolutely ruin a watch for me.

Do not ask what your watch can do for you, but, rather, ask 'What can I do for my watch?'.

4 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

I know it's basically cheap nonsense but I'm quite taken with it.

Royal London are trade jewellers who buy watch movements and cases and put them together, like 10 million watch brands of yore.  I like the savonette curve on the crystal, I like the oniony crown, and I actually bought it because I had a 20mm 'vintage camel' NATO hanging around, with rose gold furniture.  The hand length is great, and thanks to the accuracy I feel rather chuffed with it (although I know the regulation is just the luck of the draw).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Royal London are trade jewellers who buy watch movements and cases and put them together, like 10 million watch brands of yore.  I like the savonette curve on the crystal, I like the oniony crown, and I actually bought it because I had a 20mm 'vintage camel' NATO hanging around, with rose gold furniture.  The hand length is great, and thanks to the accuracy I feel rather chuffed with it (although I know the regulation is just the luck of the draw).

....... starts rummaging in 20mm strap drawer

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

  I know it's basically cheap nonsense but I'm quite taken with it.

This probably answers the original question btw. I'd say a 5 - depending on whether you are scoring the "picky" or the "discerning". I'm discerning enough to know why some watches cost thousands and I can usually tell the difference to some extent but I don't necessarily care, and certainly don't consider certain things worth paying many times the price for. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m about a 3 and consider this to be progress!

I’m very new to watches so have plenty of gaps that are easily filled but have recently plugged my brain in a bit and won’t be buying anything else until I love it. I’m trying to enforce a 6 week embargo in between lusting after a watch and contemplating buying it.

Wish me luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Bow said:

I’m about a 3 and consider this to be progress!

I’m very new to watches so have plenty of gaps that are easily filled but have recently plugged my brain in a bit and won’t be buying anything else until I love it. I’m trying to enforce a 6 week embargo in between lusting after a watch and contemplating buying it.

Wish me luck!

Totally fair and good luck!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've always been quite picky in terms of only buying a watch I really like the look of, but less picky regarding the brand or reputation of the watch.

Over time (and I guess as I've got older and have a little more money to indulge my hobby) I have maybe started getting less picky about the look and trying some slightly different types of watch, whilst at the same time maybe getting more picky (snobby :() about the brand and reputation or regard of the watch.

So I used to be a 7 and a 3 (dependant upon how you measure 'picky') and am now more a 3 and a 7, if that makes sense?!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picky? Moi? :tongue:

Have a diver, an aviator, and a chronograph. See no need for more.

Dislike bracelets. Only one of my watches is on a bracelet  --  and it will probably stay that way.

Only one is a quartz  --  and it will probably stay that way.

Only two have solid (non-exhibition) casebacks  --  the two oldest in my collection  --  and it will probably stay that way.

Only one is a Rolex (quartz and solid back :()  --  and it will stay that way.

All my pieces are from Germany or Switzerland  --  and it will probably stay that way.

Most of my recent purchases are from manufacturers who produce under 10k watches each year  --  and it will probably stay that way.

And, I'll only buy a watch I have seen in the metal and felt on my wrist  --  and it will probably stay that way.

Not at all picky really . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

Edited by yokel
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see a watch , if i'm smitten i may put it up as my screensaver , eventually it will get replaced by a motorbike , guitar , pair of tits and many various other things when boredom takes hold , the key is if it keeps returning , i never buy on a whim anymore , most have been a number of years in the planning(decades in a couple of cases) Longines Railroad is one i thought i wanted but it never got a second showing on the screensaver and they were sold of quite cheaply in the end but i never buckled.

(6)Longines railroad.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

I see a watch , if i'm smitten i may put it up as my screensaver , eventually it will get replaced by a motorbike , guitar , pair of tits and many various other things when boredom takes hold , the key is if it keeps returning , i never buy on a whim anymore , most have been a number of years in the planning(decades in a couple of cases) Longines Railroad is one i thought i wanted but it never got a second showing on the screensaver and they were sold of quite cheaply in the end but i never buckled.

(6)Longines railroad.jpg

Tits are very rarely seen together outside of their nest. Usually one will stay with the nest and young while the other is out gathering food (Coal tits are the exception where both will leave the nest and forage in twice the area). Both parents will share nest watching.. but mostly the female so photographs of both birds are rare unless during mating season or as a brood of young. Photographing them during...  

Oh.. Tits!! 

My bad...

 :crazy5vh:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...