• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What year did watch bracelets come in?

Anyone care to share the rough watch strap history order. 

Leather, Mesh, Solid link, etc 

From what ive picked up, pocket watches had lugs soldered on so leather straps could turn them into a wrist watch and I think this was WW2. There were also leather wristlets where the pocket watch could be put into a leather pouch with a strap as part of the leather. 

Womans wrist watches were on the go while men wore pcoket watches though so maybe bracelets were for woman first. 

I have two mens 1950s watches left to me by grandparents that were both on the original leather straps and a couple of watches from my late father from the 1970's which are on metal stretchy straps, one after market, one original Favre Lueba. 

Thanks

Abraham-Louis Breguet is credited with making the first bracelet watch, sold to the Queen of Naples in 1811.

However, their are records showing In 1571, Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, gifting a timepiece, that could be worn by a bracelet on the arm, to Queen Elizabeth I.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Dilly said:

From what ive picked up, pocket watches had lugs soldered on so leather straps could turn them into a wrist watch and I think this was WW2. There were also leather wristlets where the pocket watch could be put into a leather pouch with a strap as part of the leather. 

WW1, hence "trench" watches. By WW2 they were issuing wristwatches to service personnel 

• Like 1

This additional info may help....

On 07/02/2017 at 11:05, Karrusel said:

Bonklip's & similar were popular choices particularly for military personnel during the 1930-40's, as the straps were quickly adjustable to fit all size wrists, importantly over flying suits.

Dudley Russel Howitt applied for British patent of his design on the 6th March, 1930.

However, a Walter Krement had applied for a similar design patent in America on 10th April 1929.

Later Zenette (English) also started to manufacture this type.

Howitt's design (which was the most popular) was manufactured for over 40 years by B.H. Britton, Birmingham (Vyse Street).

I have acquired some of these over the years but fell uncomfortable wearing them.

Anybody else have views, pic's of this memorable type of strap ?

Here's a couple of mine:

17mm Bonklip, gold filled.

large.IMG_2250.JPG.a06ab50496354220b98aa83326d862bd.JPG

16.5mm Zenette, stainless steel.

large.IMG_2252.JPG.20ac26b5653a13a907b81dfc5b4aca7b.JPG

This one I do wear occasionally on a late 1930's Astor.

No name 17mm gold filled.

large.IMG_1937.JPG.c11806b1fd35756af727dec21e935052.JPG

sorry ive not been clear. 

What ive been wondering about most is when 'metal' bracelets first came on the go or metal straps be they mesh etc what ever was first.

Im assuming leather was the first wrist watch 'bracelet' and your info seems to show that but when did metal first come in?

Thanks

14 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Im assuming leather was the first wrist watch 'bracelet' and your info seems to show that but when did metal first come in?

Thanks

A leather watch band is not a bracelet, early bracelets, as I’ve indicated above (ladies) would have been precious metal.

Harry Brearley, Sheffield, first invented Staybrite (stainless steel) in 1913, watch bracelets, as did watch cases, first appeared in the early 1930’s.

Their may have been brass, nickel, silver, gold bracelets, made as bespoke items for men’s timepieces earlier, but not commercially, as far as I’m aware ? 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Appologies Karrusel, just realised there is an expand feature in posts! id misssed half of what you said. Much appreciated. 

No need to apologise, have been guilty of not fully reading a post myself.

Also, you may wish to read up on what many regard as the first truly designed ‘wristwatch’ by Cartier in 1904, a commission for aviator Alberto ‘Santos’ Dumont.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sans the first handful that were basically for only royalty, I think the 50s is when bracelets really started becoming more commonplace (which is what I think your question was intended to be about). But I think they didn't really take off into popularity until maybe the 90s.

I'm more interested in when the first bund straps were around, and who invented them, so that when I finish and perfect my timemacine, I know exactly where to head back to in order to put a stop to those abominations!

18 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I'm more interested in when the first bund straps were around, and who invented them, so that when I finish and perfect my timemacine, I know exactly where to head back to in order to put a stop to those abominations!

Bricey, you cant have tried the well made ones. They are the most comfortable way youll ever wear a watch. Its like a soft hand gently holding your wrist. 

1 minute ago, Dilly said:

Bricey, you cant have tried the well made ones. They are the most comfortable way youll ever wear a watch. Its like a soft hand gently holding your wrist. 

:teethsmile:

Pyjamas are comfortable, but I still get unreasonably cross when I see someone wearing them to drop the kids to school or wander around the local Co-op.

Wearing pyjamas (if you must) should end when the alarm goes off in the morning, and wearing Bunds should have ended when the second world war did!

(apologies to Steve McQueen, you still cool)

• Haha 1