Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch collection compared to your other significant purchases


Recommended Posts

Not wanting people to put £££ values to their watches or watch collections, but genuinely interested in two points:

1) The value of your watch collection relative to your other large cost assets (so is you collection worth, in either RRP terms or fair value terms, as much as your house, as much as your car, etc...)

2) The ongoing cost of your watch hobby, relative to your other costs / outgoings. So do you spend as much on your watches (purchases, servicing, etc...) as your council tax, your mortgage, your entire home bills, etc....

My answers:

Whilst my watch collection is worth far less than my home, it is probably worth 10+ X the value of my (old and beaten up) car at current value. I guess that the RRP of my car when new (nearly 20 years ago) would be similar to the RRP (that no one would have every considered paying for most of them) of the watches I own.

Adding up, I probably spend (gross) about my annual mortgage repayments on watches each year, but that doesn't factor in somewhere between 50-75% of that going back into the pot from sales as I generally build up the collection a little over time and then have a clear out to fund (most) of the next round of buying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My watch collection is not unlike my car collection - I have rather more cars than most people would consider sensible, all of them were cheap to buy and I have them because I like them and mess about with them rather than for investment value.... 

..the only major difference is when I get up in the morning I can pick a watch off the shelf and wear it, and it'll tell the time. The cars are all currently broken:blush:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

my entire 'collection' is worth just under half the used skoda i bought a couple of years ago. :laughing2dw:

more interestingly the contents of my wardrobe is worth considerably more (well at RRP if anyone were daft enough to ever pay that).

me good seiko has knocked the buying on the head for now ... so my current outlay is aprox bugger all (indeed i have sold a couple since getting it) 

as i am happy with me MM as a daily wear (non beater) ,  i reckon i'll be down from 6 to 4 watches soon as a couple more go out the door. 

sadly i do then hope to buy another which may not be cheap but thats a different story and i may not be brave enough 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did this recently with my collection and found that its worth was double what id paid. But that included a couple of watches gifted to me and one specific watch I paid £300 for that is worth about £1500. I have got more into watch detail and history etc rather than just liking watches since starting an MSc distance learning a couple of years ago. When I should be doing uni work I drift to opening a new window and reasearching watches. I am due to finish uni in 3 months and wonder if once thats finished I will read less and therefore have no temptations to buy. Since doing this uni course which has cost me £5k I have spent about the same on watches. I now think should I have bought a Rolex explorer and not all the affordable watches I have purchased. Or better still not bothered with Uni and bought a Rolex Sub for £10k and not had the late nights pulling my hair out! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My collection has appreciated and my car depreciated. The watches are now worth more than the car I bought a couple of years ago :laughing2dw:

Apart for the cheeky little purchase that is winging its way to me I haven’t bought a watch in over two years. Kids are expensive! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading the replies (and other posts across this board) I feel that I sit firmly in the middle of most collections.

This means that when posting about my watches I simultaneously worry:

a) A lot of posters think I'm being a snob talking down what is a quality watch that costs as much as many of those in their collection that they love.

and

B) Another large portion of the board think, "what an idiot, falling in love with that junk" because they have several watches that are individually worth more than the entirety of my collection, some more than all of the watches I have ever purchased combined!

It really is a strange hobby/interest to have because of the massive disparity in values, whilst still retaining a similar level of interest and affection from each collector (both those with hundred's of £20 watch purchases and those with dozen's of grail watches worth thousands+ each).

As an example, I've never found a football forum where supporters of their local non-league side, and die hard fans of the top 6 (if they still exist now) happily discuss their shared love of football.

 

 

35 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

My collection has appreciated and my car depreciated. The watches are now worth more than the car I bought a couple of years ago :laughing2dw:

Apart for the cheeky little purchase that is winging its way to me I haven’t bought a watch in over two years. Kids are expensive! 

He says to the father of 8! :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Reading the replies (and other posts across this board) I feel that I sit firmly in the middle of most collections.

This means that when posting about my watches I simultaneously worry:

a) A lot of posters think I'm being a snob talking down what is a quality watch that costs as much as many of those in their collection that they love.

and

B) Another large portion of the board think, "what an idiot, falling in love with that junk" because they have several watches that are individually worth more than the entirety of my collection, some more than all of the watches I have ever purchased combined!

It really is a strange hobby/interest to have because of the massive disparity in values, whilst still retaining a similar level of interest and affection from each collector (both those with hundred's of £20 watch purchases and those with dozen's of grail watches worth thousands+ each).

As an example, I've never found a football forum where supporters of their local non-league side, and die hard fans of the top 6 (if they still exist now) happily discuss their shared love of football.

 

 

He says to the father of 8! :laughing2dw:

It is pretty clear you don't understand this forum, we are not fixated on value, never have been, and we don't judge people based on their watch collection

 

  • Thanks 4
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JoT said:

It is pretty clear you don't understand this forum, we are not fixated on value, never have been, and we don't judge people based on their watch collection

 

Apologies, was not suggesting the problem was others opinions, just my own pathetic insecurities and inadequecies :thumbsup:

I was aiming to highlight this point:

It really is a strange hobby/interest to have because of the massive disparity in values, whilst still retaining a similar level of interest and affection from each collector (both those with hundred's of £20 watch purchases and those with dozen's of grail watches worth thousands+ each).

As an example, I've never found a football forum where supporters of their local non-league side, and die hard fans of the top 6 (if they still exist now) happily discuss their shared love of football.

And using my (newbie) naievety to illustrate that.

Edited by Bricey
Clarity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t have any debts,so if I want somthing within reason I buy it.Fast cars been there done that ,and my current long suffering wife absolutely forbids chasing after ladies.Come to think of it at my age I wondered why I ever bothered .:biggrin:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's interesting. There are people who buy watches for what I think of as car prices. There are people who buy cars for what I think of as house prices. And there are even people who buy watches for what I think of as house prices.

A car to me is just a thing to get me from A to B in reasonable comfort and economy. Can't get excited about them, which you will appreciate when you know I drive a Yaris Hybrid.:laugh:

I suppose the most meaningful comparison for me personally is watches and holidays. A few years ago I was looking at a watch at the same time as considering a holiday. At the time I couldn't afford both comfortably; I thought about it for all of two seconds and booked the holiday. If someone gave me £xxxxx and said "You can spend it on either watches or holidays but you can't mix" - holidays every time! :beach:

Having said that, I haven't had a holiday since I came back from Cyprus at New Year 2020 - so my revenge purchase is a rather nice watch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I

19 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Apologies, was not suggesting the problem was others opinions, just my own pathetic insecurities and inadequecies :thumbsup:

I was aiming to highlight this point:

It really is a strange hobby/interest to have because of the massive disparity in values, whilst still retaining a similar level of interest and affection from each collector (both those with hundred's of £20 watch purchases and those with dozen's of grail watches worth thousands+ each).

As an example, I've never found a football forum where supporters of their local non-league side, and die hard fans of the top 6 (if they still exist now) happily discuss their shared love of football.

And using my (newbie) naievety to illustrate that.

I would say that football is one area where you find common ground now matter which level your club play at, with the caveat of this applying to match attending supporters.

My feeling about this forum is very close to yours I suspect in that there is no snobbery regarding your choices in watches, I’m not even convinced that they necessarily need to tell the time to belong! I see it as a virtual pub that I’m very happy to be drinking in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My watches cost considerable less than my car. At RRP the watches would however purchase a decent little weekend drive.

 

My other main interest is shot gunning (and eating / drinking). The gun was cheap enough but putting 150 carts through it (and associated clays) a couple of times a month adds up... at least i have something physical and lasting in my car & watches compared to the things i blast or digest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

This means that when posting about my watches I simultaneously worry:

 

,,,, stop over thinking it all ,,,, maybe ponder some of life's other puzzles , like why a civilised country like the UK is seemingly incapable of making a cereal box with sufficient rigidity to maintain its structural integrity ? Will we ever be able to achieve that ? Now THATS a worry.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoT said:

It is pretty clear you don't understand this forum, we are not fixated on value, never have been, and we don't judge people based on their watch collection

 

A few have covered this and I agree. This forum and possibly those truely into this hobby/obsession seem to be completely open minded to what others own in their watch collection. It appears being an ethusiast and having a watch or watches of any condition, value, design is acceptance enough. Its great to see, this level of anything goes means the forum pics n discussions are far more likely to throw up the obscurities I would never know anything about if it wasnt for the posts I read. 

I dont do facebook etc but have been on some forums for DIY or car help and the level of abuse I have seen some get is shocking. Certainly seem to be a bunch of good eggs on here. But they do say interests in horology are linked with higher than average IQ. 

Cheers

Edited by Dilly
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

Now THATS a worry.....

So are people who worry about the structural integrity of a cornflake box.

3 minutes ago, Dilly said:

But they do say interests in horology are linked with higher than average IQ. 

Which bit of the forum are you reading ? :laughing2dw:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dilly said:

A few have covered this and I agree. This forum and possibly those truely into this hobby/obsession seem to be completely open minded to what others own in their watch collection. It appears being an ethusiast and having a watch or watches of any condition, value, design is acceptance enough. Its great to see, this level of anything goes means the forum pics n discussions are far more likely to throw up the obscurities I would never know anything about if it wasnt for the posts I read. 

I dont do facebook etc but have been on some forums for DIY or car help and the level of abuse I have seen some get is shocking. Certainly seem to be a bunch of good eggs on here. But they do say interests in horology are linked with higher than average IQ. 

Cheers

Yes, put better than I managed typing with my head wand, but its exactly that.

I think that the reason I have been interested in watches for so many years but not a member of a forum (despite being a forum member for other interests I have) was the notion / assumption that a watch forum would be quite a judgemental place. This is probably due to nothing other than the advertising and branding of watches and watch companies themselves. By stressing the importance of the prestige of their product, I assumed anyone serious about watches (certainly serious enough to post online) would regard a cheaper watch or a collection of largely second hand watches like my own to be an unwelcome visitor.

Obviously, there are plenty of reasons to think of me as unwanted, but my watches shouldn't be one of them!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dilly said:

they do say interests in horology are linked with higher than average IQ. 

Cheers

 

I know :whistle:

 

10 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

why a civilised country like the UK is seemingly incapable of making a cereal box with sufficient rigidity to maintain its structural integrity ?...

 

Once you have discovered the Golden Ratio (Golden Mean) and it is embedded in your subconscious your life will be enriched, happily.

Simon explains it in great detail...

z3HZnOo.jpg

 

You're welcome :biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...