• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch seals

chris_s

Question

The battery on my Certina DS Action has finally decided to die. Opened it up to get the battery number, but the seal now seems too big to go back in again - no idea why it would have stretched just opening the watch.

Anyway, using a vernier gauge it seems to be 35mm diameter to the centre of the 'groove' that the seal sits in x 0.8mm thick. Can I just go ahead and order a new one at 35mm, or is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

I've only ever done it once. Just bought a replacement online and put it in. I think I read somewhere that some use a grease or lube when installing them. I didn't bother, no issues here and I'd gone in the water with that watch several times after.

3 hours ago, chris_s said:

The battery on my Certina DS Action has finally decided to die. Opened it up to get the battery number, but the seal now seems too big to go back in again - no idea why it would have stretched just opening the watch.

Anyway, using a vernier gauge it seems to be 35mm diameter to the centre of the 'groove' that the seal sits in x 0.8mm thick. Can I just go ahead and order a new one at 35mm, or is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Dont mean to insult your inteligence but sometimes trying to get it in the groove requires three hands. They tend to stretch and I have got as much in the groove as possible and used the screwing in of the case back with a flat face very gingerly to squeeze the o-ring into the groove. Sometimes a gentle screw down back off and screw down again several times can work it into the groove. Little bit of silicone grease helps. If the O-Ring is dry it will stick to the metal and stretch, if its greased it will want to slide. I use one of the pregreased O-ring pots you get. Put the o-ring in and give it a very gentle turn, this avoids stretching the O-ring further. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dilly said:

Dont mean to insult your inteligence but sometimes trying to get it in the groove requires three hands. They tend to stretch and I have got as much in the groove as possible and used the screwing in of the case back with a flat face very gingerly to squeeze the o-ring into the groove. Sometimes a gentle screw down back off and screw down again several times can work it into the groove. Little bit of silicone grease helps. If the O-Ring is dry it will stick to the metal and stretch, if its greased it will want to slide. I use one of the pregreased O-ring pots you get. Put the o-ring in and give it a very gentle turn, this avoids stretching the O-ring further. 

Now it might just be my filthy mind........

• Haha 3