Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Modern Movado.


Recommended Posts

Evening all.

Right, talk to me about Movado.  I've had a couple of vintage ones over the years but I'm developing something of an obsession with the modern stuff, particularly this Movado Bold (whatever that means). 

If I'm not careful I'll end up selling up what I've got and buying one in every colour, I get a bit impulsive like that! 

Thoughts? Are there many on the forum (owners club is a bit sparse).  I can't work out if they are really interesting and unusual, or just plain and sterile! 

Cheers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had a couple of vintage ones also, and I know nothing about their new watches to pass comment.

I did go off and have a look at their 'Bold' range before I wrote this, and I have to say that I was quite taken with this chronograph...

movado-bold-fusion-chronograph-quartz-bl

As far as getting every colour in the range... it's something I do, I don't know if it's a sign of :crazy5vh:madness, but if I like a watch I don't see what's wrong with every colour option available. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a great looking watch.

Or is it? Does it look like a watch off a cheap Turkish bazaar??  They polarise me, but something draws me too them. Some good deals on Joma, I might try one next. To be honest I've bought everything in sight for the past 3 months, I need to bin a few first.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a museum face quartz, and that was disappointing, but I had a datron and it was an absolute delight and a really good solid watch, the automatic movement didn't miss a bear in the 10 years I had it.

This one:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-movado-datron-automatic-watch-0606360-p99965404.html

0606360w-1391592842-3107.jpg

I will always regard it as my first 'serious / properties watch and I would struggle to offer a single fault with it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I had a museum face quartz, and that was disappointing, but I had a datron and it was an absolute delight and a really good solid watch, the automatic movement didn't miss a bear in the 10 years I had it.

This one:

https://www.watchshop.com/mens-movado-datron-automatic-watch-0606360-p99965404.html

0606360w-1391592842-3107.jpg

I will always regard it as my first 'serious / properties watch and I would struggle to offer a single fault with it.

 

Looks like a jack mason watch but quartz. Oh and everything Movado does is quartz and costs several hundreds to a thousand... Whack junk!!!! Ps I passionately loathe Movado brand and always have!

Edited by JayDeep
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Looks like a jack mason watch but quartz. Oh and everything Movado does is quartz and costs several hundreds to a thousand... Whack junk!!!! Ps I passionately loathe Movado brand and always have!

It was an automatic.

ETA 2824-2

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bricey said:

It was an automatic.

ETA 2824-2

 

First I've ever heard of from them in ages. Still looks like a jack mason watch I've seen. Not sure which came first, I do like the date at 12 in their quintessential logo. This may be the only Movado worth considering. Not for me of course. Zero respect here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

First I've ever heard of from them in ages. Still looks like a jack mason watch I've seen. Not sure which came first, I do like the date at 12 in their quintessential logo. This may be the only Movado worth considering. Not for me of course. Zero respect here.

We all have our blacklist (I will not revist my thoughts on bund straps, for example). But I wish I hadn't let mine go in a recent batch.

Firstly because it's one I genuinely miss, but second because I would happily pay the return postage to/from you to loan it for a week or two to get your opinion on it in real life.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

We all have our blacklist (I will not revist my thoughts on bund straps, for example). But I wish I hadn't let mine go in a recent batch.

Firstly because it's one I genuinely miss, but second because I would happily pay the return postage to/from you to loan it for a week or two to get your opinion on it in real life.

 

I can tell you I wouldn't like it at all. I don't like plain and boring and that's all this is to me. You clearly haven't seen what I've purchased, collected and own because of you had you'd quickly realize I'd have zero taste for this. I don't mind the look of the Movado Calendo-something chronographs, but they too are extremely generic in every way. I've just never held any respect for the brand in general. Don't like that stupid medallion logo, don't appreciate their fashion junk designs, don't find value in their basic quartz watches they charge way too much for and so on...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I can tell you I wouldn't like it at all. I don't like plain and boring and that's all this is to me. You clearly haven't seen what I've purchased, collected and own because of you had you'd quickly realize I'd have zero taste for this. I don't mind the look of the Movado Calendo-something chronographs, but they too are extremely generic in every way. I've just never held any respect for the brand in general. Don't like that stupid medallion logo, don't appreciate their fashion junk designs, don't find value in their basic quartz watches they charge way too much for and so on...

Haha, plain and boring are my middle names!

My parents were b@#$t@£#s!

Edited by Bricey
Correct language
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bricey said:

We all have our blacklist (I will not revist my thoughts on bund straps, for example). 

 

Movado chronometer on a bund strap. Deep joy ... :clap:

IMG_20200915_173501801(1).thumb.jpg.81da608a76033a501e3b27e6d1023ee2.jpg

And just a few more bundinaceous beauties.

1910s

IMG_20201031_125110134(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.8cccec940ee42c5fded4d3c063dac501.jpg

117253383_293336545070923_7339537589978805667_n.thumb.jpg.0fc75309eb99bfd51a91589f22f91ee9.jpg

20s

IMG_20201109_105630526(1).jpg.69355952c1a1540119d2f71deab35c10.thumb.jpg.0582c576f1835484e2589278171ed47b.jpg

30s

IMG_20210412_123700565(1).thumb.jpg.892633271a3ee80a63625c502681d327.jpg

40s

IMG_20210422_000842033(2)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.1b6f9494ab3f1d3faa4b34349811df1f.jpg

50s

02a.thumb.jpg.c780f1a66f4da0dfe1ccda79019501d5.jpg

70,s

IMG_20200802_075950147(1).thumb.jpg.c3c27632e07c3a788adf8467cbd1da0e.jpg

We need to bring back the bund!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Movado chronometer on a bund strap. Deep joy ... :clap:

IMG_20200915_173501801(1).thumb.jpg.81da608a76033a501e3b27e6d1023ee2.jpg

And just a few more bundinaceous beauties.

1910s

IMG_20201031_125110134(1)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.8cccec940ee42c5fded4d3c063dac501.jpg

117253383_293336545070923_7339537589978805667_n.thumb.jpg.0fc75309eb99bfd51a91589f22f91ee9.jpg

20s

IMG_20201109_105630526(1).jpg.69355952c1a1540119d2f71deab35c10.thumb.jpg.0582c576f1835484e2589278171ed47b.jpg

30s

IMG_20210412_123700565(1).thumb.jpg.892633271a3ee80a63625c502681d327.jpg

40s

IMG_20210422_000842033(2)(1)(1).thumb.jpg.1b6f9494ab3f1d3faa4b34349811df1f.jpg

50s

02a.thumb.jpg.c780f1a66f4da0dfe1ccda79019501d5.jpg

70,s

IMG_20200802_075950147(1).thumb.jpg.c3c27632e07c3a788adf8467cbd1da0e.jpg

We need to bring back the bund!

Why must thou taunt me????

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I can tell you I wouldn't like it at all. I don't like plain and boring and that's all this is to me. You clearly haven't seen what I've purchased, collected and own because of you had you'd quickly realize I'd have zero taste for this. I don't mind the look of the Movado Calendo-something chronographs, but they too are extremely generic in every way. I've just never held any respect for the brand in general. Don't like that stupid medallion logo, don't appreciate their fashion junk designs, don't find value in their basic quartz watches they charge way too much for and so on...

Say what you think Jay, don't bottle it up inside.  :laugh:

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/04/2021 at 22:34, JayDeep said:

First I've ever heard of from them in ages. Still looks like a jack mason watch I've seen. Not sure which came first, I do like the date at 12 in their quintessential logo. This may be the only Movado worth considering. Not for me of course. Zero respect here.

I knew you liked it really @JayDeep!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Bricey
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My only issue with Movado is that they don't seem to have a clear idea of who they want to be and the customer they want to serve. 

They seem to want to attract everyone but as a result, don't really latch onto anyone. I've accused Ball Watches of the same. 

The benefit for the fans of the brand are you actually get a very decent watch at a very accessible price point so I'd say go for it and try and ignore that MVMT are going to copy the design and charge £150 for something that cost them a fiver to manufacture. 

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought one, blue dial.

Jay was right, I fear. For as classy as the traditional black or gold dress models are, the coloured sporty sort of ones don't really stand up to scrutiny.

I might do a review thread over weekend if I have a spare hour.  Although, I've something else I'm working on (warning - it's Raymond Weil related, so it should get about 4 views and no likes). :laughing2dw:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, kevkojak said:

I bought one, blue dial.

Jay was right, I fear. For as classy as the traditional black or gold dress models are, the coloured sporty sort of ones don't really stand up to scrutiny.

I might do a review thread over weekend if I have a spare hour.  Although, I've something else I'm working on (warning - it's Raymond Weil related, so it should get about 4 views and no likes). :laughing2dw:

I had a Freelancer that whilst a little scruffy in condition was a lovely solid watch. I also had a quartz that whilst nice enough looking was a little light and uninspiring (began with the, wasn't tango, name escapes me in the morning fog).

Overall, I like RW, good bracelets and lovely boxes :laughing2dw:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/04/2021 at 16:17, kevkojak said:

I bought one, blue dial.

Jay was right, I fear. For as classy as the traditional black or gold dress models are, the coloured sporty sort of ones don't really stand up to scrutiny.

I might do a review thread over weekend if I have a spare hour.  Although, I've something else I'm working on (warning - it's Raymond Weil related, so it should get about 4 views and no likes). :laughing2dw:

Sorry to hear it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Movado,to me, are brand which had a massive free fall from utilising Zenith movements to just being a cheap looking and nothing-to-inspire-with brand, jut sone of many. At least they still have the crystal on the dial at 12 o'clock as a distinctive feature. Sad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...