• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sunday Seniors (pre-1990)

Saw one of these on yesterday's WRUW, made me want to give mine a run out before it goes for a service.

IMG_20210425_002314419(1).thumb.jpg.72fc9daebf8ed1700ce04140492ff964.jpg

The main reason it's going away is because the semi-quickset date is not working (hence I got bored and stopped at 15th!) - quite tricky to set up. I have done it before on another 3133, but it cost me a tiny (expensive) date-jumper spring, which I actually found, while clearing away my bench to wait for the new one to arrive from Italy.  Having launched from the plate and ricocheted around my bench and tools and speakers, it had actually landed in my parts 'tray' (a bottle top).  Which is, of course, the only place I had not thought to look.

Keep well,

J

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I'm not going to put a new photo up but I'll be wearing this tomorrow..

large.20210416_145001.jpg.a6ac2134b76a3cafc6d11e5a4ca5cf59.jpg

1975 Seiko 5  'something' .. I can't remember :crazy5vh:

It might sound weird but I put it on tonight/last night, just so I could watch the date 'click' over.. :naughty:

Hey.. heres a mirror.. go take a look at your own strange habits. :rolleyes:

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Having launched from the plate and ricocheted around my bench and tools and speakers, it had actually landed in my parts 'tray' (a bottle top).  Which is, of course, the only place I had not thought to look.

That's not what happened at all.  I make jewellery and often experience this.  I lose a small part I've just made, usually one I'm especially happy with and won't be able to make as well again.  I spend a good while moving everything on my bench, on my hands and knees with a torch and eventually give up and make another.

The next morning, I will return to my bench and said missing component will be right there in the middle of my work area, plain as day.  It cannot possibly have been there when I was looking for it.

It's pixies I tell you.  No other explanation.  They think it's hilariously funny.  It isn't.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Morning,

A German-made Helbros Invincible from the 1950s with its 17j PUW 61 in a gold-filled case.

The case back is inscribed “Xxxx from Station C boys 1957” and whilst it may be reasonable to assume that Station C was somewhere in Germany, it could, in truth, have been anywhere.

I always have sense of sadness when a presentation watch has passed out of the recipient’s family and ends up, decades later, with someone like me.

Regards.

Helbros Invincible 2020 v.3.jpg

Helbros Invincible PUW 61 2020 v.3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

TIMEX, #24 movement( circa 1970s?)

TIMEX image.png.7029c11651675cd53a2df453c9d90b13.png

As I understand it, you can date older Timex watches from that tiny number on the face under the 6 baton - the last two numerals are supposed to be the year of manufacture.  I'm wearing an old Timex myself today and I know that my Grandmother bought it for my wedding in 1982 and indeed the last 2 digits are 82.

That's a nice watch.  I'll show mine again when I've got the new mesh bracelet for it and ground it to fit - as it's half inch lugs and the 12mm bracelet looks a bit skimpy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Sir John Bennett Ltd, Dennison 18ct case from 1925 with B&Co Longines 13,35 movement.

I'm worried about the recent appearance of spots on the dial, but keeping it shut away in a dark place doesn't seem right, so I'm wearing it. 

Sir John Bennett Ltd, Dennison 18ct case from 1925 with B&Co Longines 13,35 movement.

I have spotted a little corrosion showing through the blueing of the hands on my art deco tank, and so I bought a bag of silica gel sachets - ever so cheap off either amazon or eBay - and now I have put one sachet behind every watch in it's box - behind the cushion.

• Thanks 1