• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Bezels

Ok. I'm not going to pull any punches. I don't like them. In my eyes they are the equivalent of buying a 16" pizza because it comes in a bigger box than the 12" pizza.

Ok, watches are not pizza but that ring around your timepieces virtually does nothing but click. Most people get annoyed if it doesn't stay in it's upright position and you don't use it. Again, think about a pizza, it's still a good pizza without the stuffed crust.

It is the equivalent of saying the picture looks good because you like the frame. Sure, a picture can be improved with a frame added to it but we are talking about a watch with a frame added to it.. It clicks, it goes around and 9/10 if it's in the wrong position it is visually annoying. I've seen nice subtle bezels but mostly they are stuffed crust where 50% of the pizza is stuffed crust. Sorry but I like the pizza and I can buy cheesy bread on the side. 

Sure, when you go diving you need to know how much oxygen you have and how long you need to spend doing decompression. Again 9/10 you are more likely to just go swimming in the pool when you are on holiday.

If you go diving then that's fair, the timepiece bezel has now become functional. I have a chronometer and have used it to time various things. In these circumstances those precision instruments serve a purpose.

Bezels serve little propose other than those finger spinners and people are spending lots of money for stuffed crust pizza that annoy if they are not pointing at 12

I need convincing other than modding or deep sea diving. (and most of the time, bezeled watches get neither). 

I just don't get it.

Going along with your pizza analogy... I consider it more like those awesome stuffed crust options, all coated in a butter garlic sauce and stuffed with cheese and meat. It's more like a dippable bread stick than just a crust.

In fact, I tend not to like watches that don't have ratcheting rotating bezels. I feel a touch of deja vu here, like we've been down this road together already once in another thread where you ranted about the same thing. Different strokes for different folks is all I can say. I like them because they're a staple in sport watches, especially dive watches, and those are my preferred style of watch. Evidently they're not your preferred style. Lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

We all have something that whilst 'popular and liked by others, just doesn't tick or box.

I hate Bund straps but accept that they are something that many other love.

You dislike bezels, but have to accept that many others (me included) love them.

Sometimes the thing that we dislike is not really marmite issues, like above your bezels and my bunds are hugely popular and don't really divide opinion, they are just particular items that you or I don't like.

Even if we all think we have a wide or eclectic taste in watches, we're all picky when it comes to our own personal blacklist (ask Jay what he things of Movado :laugh:)

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Going along with your pizza analogy... I consider it more like those awesome stuffed crust options, all coated in a butter garlic sauce and stuffed with cheese and meat. It's more like a dippable bread stick than just a crust.

In fact, I tend not to like watches that don't have ratcheting rotating bezels. I feel a touch of deja vu here, like we've been down this road together already once in another thread where you ranted about the same thing. Different strokes for different folks is all I can say. I like them because they're a staple in sport watches, especially dive watches, and those are my preferred style of watch. Evidently they're not your preferred style. Lol

Your right, I have mentioned it before. It just kinda grinds my gears and also.. Well.. i was a teeny tiny bit inebriated last night.. I do apologise dear chap. :whistling:

I am still wondering about it all though. It feels like I am missing out on something that I just don't understand and perhaps just need a gentle nudge to get it. Perhaps not. 

It such a huge part of watch appreciation that I don't appreciate and that feels odd. 

I guess time will tell.. and I promise not to mention it again. 

Sorted ? :notworthy:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Your right, I have mentioned it before. It just kinda grinds my gears and also.. Well.. i was a teeny tiny bit inebriated last night.. I do apologise dear chap. :whistling:

I am still wondering about it all though. It feels like I am missing out on something that I just don't understand and perhaps just need a gentle nudge to get it. Perhaps not. 

It such a huge part of watch appreciation that I don't appreciate and that feels odd. 

I guess time will tell.. and I promise not to mention it again. 

Sorted ? :notworthy:

Oh I don't mind. Actually I get it completely. I've felt the same way about small watches and watches that didn't use sapphire crystals and I too have expressed myself when drunk in much the same manner. So no shade on you at all, as far as I'm concerned.

The real issue is, there's no way to force you to feel the same way. The reasons I like them aren't really reasons, it's just a taste thing. So that's not very helpful at all. Maybe one day your taste will change, I know mine have in many regards, including those I used to rail on about my hatred for. Lol

Just keep collecting and enjoying what you like. That's the best advice I can give.

• Thanks 1

I think a big part of the issue is trying to understand it - just stop overthinking it. The vast majority of complications on watches these days are things that have a use only in very specific circumstances and people buy them just because they like the look. Who uses a moon phase? How often does a tachymeter get used these days? Slide rules to work out your fuel on a pilots watch? An open heart was never a practical addition but people buy them. You just work out if you like it or not, and if you don't.. move on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Well.. i was a teeny tiny bit inebriated last night..

I thought you might be, from the long diatribe you sent me late last night by PM objecting to my views on the design of ladies watches.

I was just contemplating how to reply without being too rude, suspecting that alcohol might be involved, due to the hour. I shan't bother replying further.   

Perhaps if you're going to imbibe, you should turn off the computer first and enjoy your alcohol in peace.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

Jezebels have their uses. 
On the whole I don’t see much point in them if they are just there for decoration, though I must admit I have never used the tachymeter Jezebel on my Speedy. 
And I’m not too fond of those massive dive watches, often named after some kind of fish, where the Jezebel is about twice the width of the dial.

My Trident Diver has a nice narrow Jezebel, which is fairly subtle, and I actually use it for timing things, for example how long I’ve been out walking.

547673444_C65blue.thumb.jpeg.722ea9d9b13b919f08b3754e7796ef75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Even thought I've had loads of dive watches over the years I've never used the bezel for any sort of timing at all never mind actual diving. 

The only watches that I did regularly used the bezel on were my GMT's but now a days I don't travel to or deal with countries in other time zones like I used to so even those would be pointless. 

I just like the look. 

:)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spinynorman said:

Genuine question here, don't all watches have bezels? It's just the bit of the case that goes round the crystal. Some turn and have numbers, that's the difference. Very likely I have this wrong however.

No difference. I have little problem with dive or calculator bezels; lots of people like them.

I do have a personal aversion to relatively small watch faces surrounded by rather a lot of non-functional metal. Looking at you Monsieur Genta. But lots of people like them, and it's their money, so good luck to them.

I like a rotating bezel, if you dont need to time anything its not needed. But your car doesnt need light weight alloy wheels to drive to the shops but it looks cool n sporty. 

A dive bezel with numbers looks instantly sporty. 

One point I have learned recently after purchaseing my Seiko MM Blue Bezel 1968 is this a narrow bezel is a great compromise. I genuinely use a bezel for timing. When I choose a watch for the day I think do I need a timing bezel today. 

I love a plain bezel aswell but if you need a timer then a narrow bezel is an awesom classic compromise. 

Also in an impact situation where a bezel can rotate could that take the sting out of the impact where a fixed bezel might have got a ding? As long as you catch it on the free side obviously. 

Ok. I'm not going to pull any punches. I don't like them. In my eyes they are the equivalent of buying a 16" pizza because it comes in a bigger box than the 12" pizza.
Ok, watches are not pizza but that ring around your timepieces virtually does nothing but click. Most people get annoyed if it doesn't stay in it's upright position and you don't use it. Again, think about a pizza, it's still a good pizza without the stuffed crust.
It is the equivalent of saying the picture looks good because you like the frame. Sure, a picture can be improved with a frame added to it but we are talking about a watch with a frame added to it.. It clicks, it goes around and 9/10 if it's in the wrong position it is visually annoying. I've seen nice subtle bezels but mostly they are stuffed crust where 50% of the pizza is stuffed crust. Sorry but I like the pizza and I can buy cheesy bread on the side. 
Sure, when you go diving you need to know how much oxygen you have and how long you need to spend doing decompression. Again 9/10 you are more likely to just go swimming in the pool when you are on holiday.
If you go diving then that's fair, the timepiece bezel has now become functional. I have a chronometer and have used it to time various things. In these circumstances those precision instruments serve a purpose.
Bezels serve little propose other than those finger spinners and people are spending lots of money for stuffed crust pizza that annoy if they are not pointing at 12

I need convincing other than modding or deep sea diving. (and most of the time, bezeled watches get neither). 
I just don't get it.

Not sure what your point is and as stated by an earlier poster almost all watches have a bezel.

The bezel on this costs more than most watches on the forum:

69f64eb0d70932c211d179a0500a6226.jpeg

Is it a divers watch? Yes. Does it have a large bezel? Yes. Does the bezel rotate? No.

If you don’t like certain aspects of a watch then don’t buy it. Plenty more out there to choose from.
  • Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Igerswis said:

If you don’t like certain aspects of a watch then don’t buy it. Plenty more out there to choose from.

Precisely. Not all Jezebels are equal.

• Like 1