• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Pick 1 from 3 (or make a seperate suggestion)

So, Having thought I'd completed my recent splurge, I have ended up having to buy a second 6 rotor winder to house my collection of 11 automatics, meaning there is a single rotor left naked that is going to need something on there to prevent my OCD giving me ticks. But I hadn't budgeted for one more, so it is going to have to be something relatively cheep and cheerful, I have decided another diver would fit the bill.

I'm buying pre-owned (as long as decent condition and with original box) but have a budget of around £200 (ideally under, but not much above that)

I am not completely taken with the Orient Mako which would sit nicely in the price range, but am looking at these three:

1) Timex M79 Batman (For: Its a nice looking watch and I liked the Q Pepsi I had before. Against: I presume the bezel has no clicks like the Q?)

TW2U29500.png

2) Borealis Estoril 300 (For: It looks pretty smart, like an old Omega. Against: I know nothing about the brand)

40m0qquhkvf31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

or,

3) Rotary Super 7 Scuba (For: Rotary are pretty solid and reliable. Against: I've had mixed experiences with Rotary watches in terms of quality)

main.jpg

Or, fire back a suggestion of your own that fits the three conditions:

1) Automatic

2) Diver (traditional looking diver)

3) Something that either new or second hand is going to come in around a £200 budget

:thumbsup:

If your spending for spending sake get yourself a Vostok from Meranom. Something with an actual picture of a scuba diver on it. When its on the winder it will look likes hes swimming about just for fun. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, relaxer7 said:

If you don’t have one then it’s surely a Seiko SKX007 in that price range? Pepsi bezel obvs :thumbsup:

I had one previously, the crown being at 4 instead of 3 bothers me, but I have seen a few where Seiko's where it is at 3 that I like.

29 minutes ago, Dilly said:

If your spending for spending sake get yourself a Vostok from Meranom. Something with an actual picture of a scuba diver on it. When its on the winder it will look likes hes swimming about just for fun. 

Not sure why, but I've never been interested in a Vostok

Boctok. Spend the rest of the ££ on mods and play around with it's looks.

Edit.. If I was to buy 2 watches for a friend it would be a seiko 5 plain bezel and a vostok with dive bezel. It would be a nice intro to automatics.

Edited by SolaVeritate
Afterthoughts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I'd have the Orient, the Timex is nice (I have one) but it's flimsy by comparison.

Absolutely. I’ve had one for years. Bombproof and beautiful.

Glad there has been a few votes for the Borealis as that one was edging it for me but then all of the earlier replies for Seiko and Vostock.

I can't put my finger on what bothers me about Orient, as daft as it sounds it might be partly because almost every advert on Ebay for a Mako seems to have someone wearing cotton gloves like they're handling the crown Jewels. :huh:

• Haha 1

OK, so I saw something different in the end and decided to be a little more off the wall and have just won one of these at a good price to try.

tempore-lux-4.jpg

jfadqwfdcvn3b5ebaolk.jpg

Might be a bit big for me, but it's always fun to try something a bit different, right?

Same seller has the quartz chrono version listed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tempore-Lux-Vintage-One-Diver-Chronograph-Vk64-Movement-00001-SOLD-OUT-model-/233981716347?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

OK, so I saw something different in the end and decided to be a little more off the wall and have just won one of these at a good price to try.

tempore-lux-4.jpg

jfadqwfdcvn3b5ebaolk.jpg

Might be a bit big for me, but it's always fun to try something a bit different, right?

Same seller has the quartz chrono version listed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tempore-Lux-Vintage-One-Diver-Chronograph-Vk64-Movement-00001-SOLD-OUT-model-/233981716347?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

The lug to lug doesn’t look too big though and you should get your money back on it if you don’t take to it.

I think it looks pretty well.

Edited by Bow
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

There's always the Seiko 5 sports range - loads of choice usually hovering in the £160-£200 range. Or the Rotary, been liking that one for a while but I'd want the ceramic bezel/bracelet version which runs at £250.

51XeOsjYxcL._AC_.jpg

I can attest that these are fantastic for the money.