• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Servicing & Refinishing...

Hi all, 

So I am excitedly awaiting arrival of my IWC :biggrin: Whilst I wait, I am looking into servicing for my TAG Carrera WV211B-3. I bought it in 2015 and never been serviced though is worn every day and works just fine.... The case itself as some scratches and a small nick, so I was looking into getting this refinished as part of the service; but I am reading this might be a bad idea. What's the view on this - fine if it's done by a pro, or forget it entirely and leave it alone?

I've been quoted £400+VAT for....

- full strip down clean of the movement
- new mainspring
- replace worn movement parts
- regulation
- full case/clasp refurbishment/refinish
- ultrasonic/steam clean of the case/clap
- reseal and test

Is that fair? Any recommendations for who to use?

Many thanks in advance....

oIClwFs.jpg

V06cBNY.jpg

• Like 2

My stepfather wanted me to sell a Rolex Sub for him about 20 years ago before all this Rolex hype started to go mad (if only we'd known then). It was one he had dived with and was in good condition but covered in marks. We had it serviced, Rolex changed the high dome with cyclops crystal and it came back with the case refinished. I expected this but was still shocked how new it looked. My father thought it was a prank and it was a new watch. It was being sold and what the buyer wanted but I remember at the time thinking ooooo its lost its character, its history, its not really been to the bottom of the north sea anymore its just a another new watch. 

So personally Id be very carefull before I ever refinished anything again. There are obvious caveats for example an immaculate dress watch for special occasions that has that one annoying mark on it. Proper damage that effects use or water resistance. Diver/Tool watch will probably handle looking beat up better than a dress watch etc. 

I am extremely fussy with detail and I look after everything to silly levels ( I have my alarm clock from when I was 10, I am 45!) but that said I am also a sucker for heritage, history, witness marks etc. 

If its working fine and is only 5 years old it doesnt need a new mainspring surely! if it keeps time, its a modern watch Id leave it a few years yet. 

As far as condition goes though its your call but just be carefull and have a think.

As pristine as it may look when it comes back it may feel like its lost its soul and its not your trusty old companion thats been by your side for the last 5 years through thick n thin. 

• Thanks 1

The price is not ridiculous so long as its with TAG [ indies should be charging less ] ... However ... it may be a bit early for that full service ... I would be waiting 7 or 8 years if it were mine ... so maybe just enjoy it with its war wounds for a little while longer....

• Like 1

There's a lot of paranoia about refurbishment these days, to many people watching those antique telly programs. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

I sent my LV off for service couple of years ago and it did indeed come back looking like a new watch, worth every penny and good to go for another 15 years. 

If after the service you miss the patina or are thinking about selling just kick about the garden for half an hour, that'll soon give it some imaginary history. 

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I'd be in two minds about this but for the money I'd have it done. Tag Heuer aren't Rolex with all their hype and inflation and used values aren't as buoyant.  Unless the marks etc mean something to you or mark memorable events then have it done and enjoy the new watch. 

Many thanks guys. Really appreciate the input. Kind of like the idea of a war weary watch that stays with me for twenty or thirty years and just does it’s job; it’s a ‘cheap’ watch in the grand scheme of things so perhaps more honest. Maybe I’ll reassess in a couple of years when she’s 7-8 years old! 

This is my Tag formula 1, was brought for me as a present in 2015. I sent in for a service last week, full strip down, replacement of any worn parts etc but opted not to get any case finishing as I feel it's part of the journey. Maybe that will change on the next service but for now happy to keep it original.

20181008_081231.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Doesnt look like it needed it anyway, looks very tidy. 

Been looked after but close up there are scratches on the case and if you zoom in you can see a scatch at '60' on the bezel. 

This was my 1st proper watch and the start of my collection which led to find this wonderful forum.