• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ideas for watches of a budget of 5k

I just received a large bonus form work. I would like to put aside 5k to buy a watch. I would to hear some recommendations, I’m fine with watches slightly over the budget. 

I currently have a JLC Ultra Thin Reserve de Marche. Maybe a sports watch would be a good addition to the collection. 

6 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

I just received a large bonus form work. I would like to put aside 5k to buy a watch. I would to hear some recommendations, I’m fine with watches slightly over the budget. 

I currently have a JLC Ultra Thin Reserve de Marche. Maybe a sports watch would be a good addition to the collection. 

The usual suspects:

Tudor BB58's any variant 

Tudor GMT

Tudor BB Chono

Omega Seamaster any variant 

Something different:

Zenith El-primero

girard-perregaux laureato

millechron MONARQUE AZURE (absolutely stunning!!) I'm in mesmerised with this one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

The usual suspects:

Tudor BB58's any variant 

Tudor GMT

Tudor BB Chono

Omega Seamaster any variant 

Something different:

Zenith El-primero

girard-perregaux laureato

millechron MONARQUE AZURE (absolutely stunning!!) I'm in mesmerised with this one.

I’ve been eyeing the Sea master for a while. Really do like the white one on a rubber strap. 

as for Tudor; I like them. But I always feel like I should just save up and buy a Rolex.  

2 minutes ago, antjrice said:

Either the Tudor Black Bay Chrono reverse panda or the Tudor Black Bay 925.

I think both these watches would offer excellent presence to the owner. 

I like the wya Tudor looks. But my feeling is why don’t I just get some discipline and save up more for a Rolex if I’m spending that kind of money for a luxury watch. They hold value better and a Rolex is a Rolex. Even if you don’t like Rolex, you still respect it. 

19 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Can’t say I’m a fan of this dial. I’m not a huge fan of Breitling tbh. Doesn’t speak to me personally. 

31 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I like the moon watch but i think it will be another time I get it. 

As for the Seiko, I like it but I’m more inclined to get the Snowflake if I went with GS. 

What do you guys think of Cartier?

This Santos Dumont has an automatic movement which is cool  

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Cartier-Santos+dumont-Watch-Extra+Large-Model..-Hand+Wound-Mechanical-Movement..-Steel..-Leather-WSSA0032/p/17311101

22 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

I’ve been eyeing the Sea master for a while. Really do like the white one on a rubber strap. 

as for Tudor; I like them. But I always feel like I should just save up and buy a Rolex.  

I like the wya Tudor looks. But my feeling is why don’t I just get some discipline and save up more for a Rolex if I’m spending that kind of money for a luxury watch. They hold value better and a Rolex is a Rolex. Even if you don’t like Rolex, you still respect it. 

Can’t say I’m a fan of this dial. I’m not a huge fan of Breitling tbh. Doesn’t speak to me personally. 

I like the moon watch but i think it will be another time I get it. 

As for the Seiko, I like it but I’m more inclined to get the Snowflake if I went with GS. 

What do you guys think of Cartier?

This Santos Dumont has an automatic movement which is cool  

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Cartier-Santos+dumont-Watch-Extra+Large-Model..-Hand+Wound-Mechanical-Movement..-Steel..-Leather-WSSA0032/p/17311101

I was eyeing up too.

Having owned a few Rolex's and with how the market is these day's, grey dealers just doubling rrp's I have just fallen out with the brand. 

Tudor on the other hand has come out from under Rolex's shadow can can certainly hold their own!.

The quality is superb, most now have in-house COSC movements, 5 year warranties and unique Tudor style. 

Omega are what I like to call the 'Goodfellows' fingers in all the pies, control the huge amount of 'movement' market with eta etc, great co-axial movements which can go years without servicing and they take certification to the next level with Meta. Some might think it is unfair or cartel like behaviour in regards to restriction supply movements but look at it another way it forced manufacturer's to R&D more of their own in-house movements which all in all keeps the watch industry ticking over nicely excuse the pun!

If anything Rolex AD's are the biggest cartel movement in morden times, Rolex produce over 500k of watches a year but try get a SS sports version at rrp. 

Brown envelopes anyone?

Anyway best of luck with what you choose. The above is only my personal opinion. 

20210325_144101.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

I was eyeing up too.

Having owned a few Rolex's and with how the market is these day's, grey dealers just doubling rrp's I have just fallen out with the brand. 

Tudor on the other hand has come out from under Rolex's shadow can can certainly hold their own!.

The quality is superb, most now have in-house COSC movements, 5 year warranties and unique Tudor style. 

Omega are what I like to call the 'Goodfellows' fingers in all the pies, control the huge amount of 'movement' market with eta etc, great co-axial movements which can go years without servicing and they take certification to the next level with Meta. Some might think it is unfair or cartel like behaviour in regards to restriction supply movements but look at it another way it forced manufacturer's to R&D more of their own in-house movements which all in all keeps the watch industry ticking over nicely excuse the pun!

If anything Rolex AD's are the biggest cartel movement in morden times, Rolex produce over 500k of watches a year but try get a SS sports version at rrp. 

Brown envelopes anyone?

Anyway best of luck with what you choose. The above is only my personal opinion. 

20210325_144101.jpg

I’m going to take another look at Tutor at the ADs and try them on person. Maybe something will speak to me. 

I like that sea master as well, but I’m a rubber strap. For some reason, I find the stainless steel bracelet ugly on the sea master. 

• Like 1

@AVO's Cartier is a good call if you want to separate yourself from the herd  --  as would be anything from JLC.

However, if I had £5k to spend on a special watch (and didn't already have one), I'd be giving Dirk Dornblüth a call. Possibly a bit of a wait as he and his seven dwarves produce only 200 pieces each year, but wonderful quality  --  and should be possible for your budget.

Was recently "forced" to wear mine for almost seven weeks on the trot, and did not get remotely bored.

Edited to say that Scott beat me to it :thumbsup:

20180621b.JPG

20210406ay-1000.JPG

20190511a-1000.JPG

Edited by yokel
  • Like 4

This time last week you could have had my Ulysse Nardin, but it’s going nowhere. Seriously, though there are some great pre-owned ones on places like Chrono24. It’s a high quality brand you are not going to see every day!

8524C8AE-00F8-46C8-A603-536747E20E7E.thumb.jpeg.2950758505009217329540a7932d48c7.jpeg

• Like 2

If you can go slightly over budget, (or get a discount) the how about the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean.

I would say look at the 39.5mm with the black dial.

This is probably the best watch I will never buy, due to the fact that I have a Planet Ocean chronograph.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yokel said:

@AVO's Cartier is a good call if you want to separate yourself from the herd  --  as would be anything from JLC.

However, if I had £5k to spend on a special watch (and didn't already have one), I'd be giving Dirk Dornblüth a call. Possibly a bit of a wait as he and his seven dwarves produce only 200 pieces each year, but wonderful quality  --  and should be possible for your budget.

Was recently "forced" to wear mine for almost seven weeks on the trot, and did not get remotely bored.

Edited to say that Scott beat me to it :thumbsup:

20180621b.JPG

20210406ay-1000.JPG

20190511a-1000.JPG

The other day you posted a H. Moser & Cie that I said was the most beautiful watch I have ever seen.

This (and the one in the video you've posted with the engraved details and in house movement, is probably the second most beautiful watch I have ever seen.

I have told my Dad that I am divorcing him as I would like you to adopt me please. I am (almost) house trained if that is important to you.

• Haha 2

This is going to get me either likes, or a Savage kicking.... but if I had a £5k watch budget and needed advice from strangers on what to buy, I think I'd steer clear of buying anything.  Really. 

The hundred quid challenge I definitely get - you'll see obscure and up and coming brands that might well get you to take a punt. Five grand though... come on, if you don't have an idea already then watches are definitely not a wise decision. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

This is going to get me either likes, or a Savage kicking.... but if I had a £5k watch budget and needed advice from strangers on what to buy, I think I'd steer clear of buying anything.  Really. 

The hundred quid challenge I definitely get - you'll see obscure and up and coming brands that might well get you to take a punt. Five grand though... come on, if you don't have an idea already then watches are definitely not a wise decision. 

Reply of the Month winner

:biggrin:

• Haha 1