• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Ideas for watches of a budget of 5k

48 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

This is going to get me either likes, or a Savage kicking.... but if I had a £5k watch budget and needed advice from strangers on what to buy, I think I'd steer clear of buying anything.  Really. 

The hundred quid challenge I definitely get - you'll see obscure and up and coming brands that might well get you to take a punt. Five grand though... come on, if you don't have an idea already then watches are definitely not a wise decision. 

I love helping people spend their money lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevkojak said:

This is going to get me either likes, or a Savage kicking.... but if I had a £5k watch budget and needed advice from strangers on what to buy, I think I'd steer clear of buying anything.  Really. 

The hundred quid challenge I definitely get - you'll see obscure and up and coming brands that might well get you to take a punt. Five grand though... come on, if you don't have an idea already then watches are definitely not a wise decision. 

That’s fair. I have been looking at the Cartier santos dumont, sea master, and the snowflake. But I didn’t want to buy anything before checking if there’s anything I missed. This is where you my watch’s forum friends come in. 

• Like 2

Normally I would agree with @kevkojak‘s comment,  but I actually did the same thing myself last week: posted on two different forums to see what people came up with.  I ended up buying my latest and rather lovely acquisition from a member of this august assembly. 

One thing to beware of, and I am very guilty of this myself, is that people will often plug their favourite styles and brands.  I’ve done it myself on this thread.  You will also get recommendations for a lot of what I call the  Usual Suspects. By which I mean the really popular watches that lots of people seem to own.  No disrespect to the watches or the owners, but sometimes that’s not what you want.  It worked out very well for me because I specified some things I didn’t want on this occasion (divers, fliegers, chronographs and watches over 40 mm), and people pretty much respected that.   I asked for left-field suggestions and certainly got them. 

By the way, @Andrew0409, Santos Dumont would be a great call. Oh no, I’m doing it again! :laugh:

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bricey said:

I have told my Dad that I am divorcing him as I would like you to adopt me please. I am (almost) house trained if that is important to you.

I don't think you need a new fairy godfather. Lots of beautiful and interesting watches are available if you look around a bit. Some of them even come from companies other than the "pushy" ones. Research can pay dividends.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, yokel said:

I don't think you need a new fairy godfather. Lots of beautiful and interesting watches are available if you look around a bit. Some of them even come from companies other than the "pushy" ones. Research can pay dividends.

You see! That is Fatherly Advice, you are perfect (and I never called you a fairy, that is entirely on you!).

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, AVO said:

Normally I would agree with @kevkojak‘s comment,  but I actually did the same thing myself last week: posted on two different forums to see what people came up with.  I ended up buying my latest and rather lovely acquisition from a member of this august assembly. 

One thing to beware of, and I am very guilty of this myself, is that people will often plug their favourite styles and brands.  I’ve done it myself on this thread.  You will also get recommendations for a lot of what I call the  Usual Suspects. By which I mean the really popular watches that lots of people seem to own.  No disrespect to the watches or the owners, but sometimes that’s not what you want.  It worked out very well for me because I specified some things I didn’t want on this occasion (divers, fliegers, chronographs and watches over 40 mm), and people pretty much respected that.   I asked for left-field suggestions and certainly got them. 

By the way, @Andrew0409, Santos Dumont would be a great call. Oh no, I’m doing it again! :laugh:

Definitely. I’m open to different ideas and now I’m interested in some of the non big brands recommend. It’s a big purchase, and I wanted no regrets. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

It’s a big purchase, and I wanted no regrets. 

Aye. At that price you want something you will still be able to wear in 20 years time. Things like Cartier and Dornblüth are not going to go out of fashion, because they will transcend fashion.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AVO said:

Aye. At that price you want something you will still be able to wear in 20 years time. Things like Cartier and Dornblüth are not going to go out of fashion, because they will transcend fashion.

I’m loving the Cartier Santos Dumont XL with the automatic movement. But here is my conundrum, I have a JLC ultra thin Reserve de marche which is a dress watch. I don’t have a proper sports watch and the seamaster also looks amazing. 

I would love a Cartier but I just feel like I need a proper sports watch to wear when I’m not at the office. 

58 minutes ago, Andrew0409 said:

I’m loving the Cartier Santos Dumont XL with the automatic movement. But here is my conundrum, I have a JLC ultra thin Reserve de marche which is a dress watch. I don’t have a proper sports watch and the seamaster also looks amazing. 

I would love a Cartier but I just feel like I need a proper sports watch to wear when I’m not at the office. 

Sports watch, how's this for smart casual?

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Ulysse-Nardin-Diver-42mm-8163+175/93/p/17720337?lsft=utm_content:shopping___adty__pla_with_promotion___prch__online___stco_____prid__17720337,utm_medium:cpc&gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKIkp_SZAfCIopKNopz9x0zQo-xG1rqliDwGbRJN2aO8qJn-1yNV2OxoCGvIQAvD_BwE

17720337_1.jpg?impolicy=zoom

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

I really like this watch! One went through ebay a few weeks back for £1900 looked n decent condition. 

There is always a deal to be had:

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ulyssenardin/diver-blue-dial-2019-on-special--id17278239.htm

Or if you don't like pre-owned

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ulyssenardin/ulysse-nardin-diver-automatic-42--id14635420.htm

• Agree 1

On 26/04/2021 at 21:56, JayDeep said:

Yeah, I'd get some $3000 Tudor and about 4 Seiko Frankenstein pieces because there's nothing better than something completely personalized and unique.

Lol in fact this is exactly what I just did, but after your post and in different order. Lol

Yeah, I'd get some $3000 Tudor and about 4 Seiko Frankenstein pieces because there's nothing better than something completely personalized and unique.

Lol in fact this is exactly what I just did, but after your post and in different order. Lol

I wasn't going to reply to this post as it seemed useless to me but then Kev pointed this out..

On 27/04/2021 at 22:45, kevkojak said:

Your not really looking for a watch.. you just think it would be cool to wrap £5000 around your wrist for a while but not loose too much of that cash when you want to sell it.

Go buy a Rolex.. any one will do really.. make it a bit flash and perhaps gold in whatever style takes your fancy. People will say odd words like "ooooh!" and "ahhh!" when they see it and it will make you feel good. You never know, in a few years you might even double your money when you sell it..

Edited by SolaVeritate
Ps. £5000 is NOT a budget. It's a WAD.
  • Haha 1