• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WRUW - Tuesday 27th April 2021

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

20210427_135725.thumb.jpg.d956d035985612a95b24fa91ab654a02.jpg

This is my Telda chronograph left to me by my granfather. Gold but has a stainless case back so I think it must be plated. From what Ive found which is little, its about 1950's, and Telda was a small swiss independent that doesnt exist and probably was never very big. I rarely wear it but when I did I decided on a Nato for extra security as the original leather strap with it is brittle. From my Natos this seemsed to work, didnt think until noticing later its a bit Gucci which is very not me. 

If anyone can shed anymore light on this id appreciate it. Thanks

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dilly said:

If anyone can shed anymore light on this id appreciate it. Thanks

The brand is attributed to Armand and Charles Nicolet in the Mikrolisk database. I can verify that from the Davoine trade directory, adverts here from 1933 and 1961.

image.png.d73ecc38e0cb841433279bf6dbc68162.png                 image.png.76bdd37b98c5c68105576cd76680f81d.png

And 1969, which seems to be the last. The company was finally declared bankrupt and deleted in 1988.

image.png.67443905a6ebdf9ab503eb57a77d8552.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

The brand is attributed to Armand and Charles Nicolet in the Mikrolisk database. I can verify that from the Davoine trade directory, adverts here from 1933 and 1961.

image.png.d73ecc38e0cb841433279bf6dbc68162.png                 image.png.76bdd37b98c5c68105576cd76680f81d.png

And 1969, which seems to be the last. The company was finally declared bankrupt and deleted in 1988.

image.png.67443905a6ebdf9ab503eb57a77d8552.png

Thanks Spinynorman. 

What is Armand Nicolet then, Are they a parent company that owned the smaller watch makers such as Telda and Verneta?

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Thanks Spinynorman. 

What is Armand Nicolet then, Are they a parent company that owned the smaller watch makers such as Telda and Verneta?

Thanks

Originally Armand Nicolet was the company, named after the founder, using Telda etc as brands (trademarks). Later it seems they adopted Fabrique de Montres Telda as part of their business name. An "Armand Nicolet" company still exists, still based in Tramelan.  https://www.armandnicolet.com/history

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Originally Armand Nicolet was the company, named after the founder, using Telda etc as brands (trademarks). Later it seems they adopted Fabrique de Montres Telda as part of their business name. An "Armand Nicolet" company still exists, still based in Tramelan.  https://www.armandnicolet.com/history

Giving me the Armand Nicolet name rather than just the Telda I had has allowed me to find out way more info than Id ever before. Great stuff thanks very much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dilly said:

Thanks Spinynorman. 

Thanks

I don't know all about Armand Nicolet, but although they cased and signed their own watches, their niche expertise was finishing movements, ready for fitting into watches, properly timed.  

I have read that for some years the entire Venus production of chronograph movements was finished at Armand Nicolet.

J

Trip to the shop with this fresh from the ultrasonic bath, and fully charged on the toothbrush induction charger.

IMG_20210427_170728444(1).thumb.jpg.4f8ff677a21c1878251e8c58938d7538.jpg

The charging only works at a very particular angle, but I happened to have a plug-in power meter kicking around, so it's easy to find the position where it draws between 10 and 12 mA.

Oh, and the seconds hand hits the markers much better than the Seiko I sold a couple of weeks ago for 10 times the price.

So annoying when it doesn't hit the markers ...

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just love the linen patterned dial on this thing! Truly the best overall designed watch I've ever seen. Every detail was paid attention to and done just about perfectly!!! Highly recommend you check these out!large.IMG_20210427_085617.jpg.ae68fddd064a8e2a3899c80c9fef6f35.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

np9hJn_yZffNsblH4M0UDTVvy7Q64NnYXraGGpR-

I'm standing as Green Party candidate in the Belfairs ward in Southend. On the table is my delivery kit. I always take a wooden spatula or the like when delivering leaflets as it protects the fingers against vicious letter boxes and even more vicious dogs. I fold the leaflet round the end of the spatula and then shove it through the letter box.

The usefulness of this method was amply demonstrated on Sunday morning, as the handle of a spatula demonstrates. The other half was bitten off by a dog lurking surreptitiously on the other side of the door through which I had just pushed my leaflet.

Edited by Wowbagger
  • Like 7
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Wowbagger said:

I'm standing as Green Party candidate in the Belfairs ward in Southend. On the table is my delivery kit. I always take a wooden spatula or the like when delivering leaflets as it protects the fingers against vicious letter boxes and even more vicious dogs. I fold the leaflet round the end of the spatula and then shove it through the letter box.

The usefulness of this method was amply demonstrated on Sunday morning, as the handle of a spatula demonstrates. The other half was bitten off by a dog lurking surreptitiously on the other side of the door through which I had just pushed my leaflet.

We've had Boris and his rag tag mob of Tory chancers wandering around a couple of times recently. I have a feeling if he turns up in our street he'll need more than a wooden spatula. 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Seiko on this dull and wet evening. 

mde.jpg

:)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Wowbagger said:

beautiful watch

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, relaxer7 said:

Old pic but one of my favourites

EF142ACB-3BA6-46EA-9171-ACD12042D6E7.jpeg

5 hours ago, it'salivejim said:

51141444382_cdce883f4f_c.jpg

Cool. Different hands. I'm not sure if they are the same watch. Explorer and explorer 2?  Are they from different years?

Edited by SolaVeritate
Details :)
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Cool. Different hands. I'm not sure if they are the same watch. Explorer and explorer 2?  Are they from different years?

Both Explorer II, but top one is the newer 216570 with 42mm case. The bottom one is a 16570 with 40mm case.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-explorer-ii-16570/

https://timeandtidewatches.com/rolex-explorer-ii-review-reference-216570-42mm/

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1