• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Diesel Watches

Diesel watches are made by Fossil and are about as good as you get for a fashion-brand watch. They are usually very well made for the outlay [ assuming you buy at 10-40% discount ] ,,, I have never owned one , but have inspected a couple close up and to honest I was very impressed ... Not sure if I shine the bat signal at @Davey P he may be able to shed more light , can't remember if he owns a Diesel but does own a Fossil. [ They are mostly made in the same factory(s) ].

22 minutes ago, johnboy24 said:

I can't comment on the Diesal brand, however I do have a couple of Fossil watches and for the price I paid they are really good VFM.

BUT 57-66mm it will be huge.

Jeebus

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I've had a motor vehicle that was smaller than that :laughing2dw:

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, ArtekOs said:

Thank you every one for you  responses . They look defiantly big but cool . DZ7312  would be my choice 

I got asked to swap over the strap on my friends DZ7312 for a hearty solid stainless steel one from ebay. I think it was 24mm or 25mm and it turned it into a monster of a watch. Really heavy. It certainly made a statement. I liked its presence on the wrist. He loves it (and the attention it gets him).

They seem nicely built, not pristine but solid enough. My only thought was concern for such wide crystal, a heavy bang and I'm sure it would smash.

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

My only thought was concern for such wide crystal, a heavy bang and I'm sure it would smash

My concern is that it might smash whatever I bashed it against, I reckon I could knock my house down with that on a length of chain.

Also, I you get it, you might need to buy an old pair of 70's flares and use one of theirs to replace the left arm on your shirt. :laughing2dw:

8130913-1-brown?$n_640w$&wid=513&fit=con

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bow said:

Before you had driven it or after?

Thats fair :laughing2dw:

On a side note, if I wore that watch whilst driving, I'm pretty sure I just go round and round in counter-clockwise circles!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

My concern is that it might smash whatever I bashed it against, I reckon I could knock my house down with that on a length of chain.

Also, I you get it, you might need to buy an old pair of 70's flares and use one of theirs to replace the left arm on your shirt. :laughing2dw:

8130913-1-brown?$n_640w$&wid=513&fit=con

Actually, that shirt is based on a Scottish design called 'ghillie' or Jacobite. 1980s 'wing' sleeves definatly had something going for them. :tongue:

But seriously.. when you wear something you are making a statement. From the most mainstream trying to be as normal as possible, to the most understated with the most tradition, to the masculinity lions mane, to the wildness of the punk rocker on acid. There is a place for every peice of jewellery. 

That watch, when worn correctly, is decent enough build quality, does its job... and... produces a look that is hard to accomplish from the normal set of timepieces. 

I'm old, I'm past chasing fashion.. "peacocking" (haha I don't know 'exactly' what that is) exists and this type of watch will be those watches we chase as 50-60 year old collectors in 30 years time. I'll be dead by then and the things I have now will pass on.. my grandson might wish I had got him a DZ7312.

15 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Actually, that shirt is based on a Scottish design called 'ghillie' or Jacobite. 1980s 'wing' sleeves definatly had something going for them. :tongue:

But seriously.. when you wear something you are making a statement. From the most mainstream trying to be as normal as possible, to the most understated with the most tradition, to the masculinity lions mane, to the wildness of the punk rocker on acid. There is a place for every peice of jewellery. 

That watch, when worn correctly, is decent enough build quality, does its job... and... produces a look that is hard to accomplish from the normal set of timepieces. 

I'm old, I'm past chasing fashion.. "peacocking" (haha I don't know 'exactly' what that is) exists and this type of watch will be those watches we chase as 50-60 year old collectors in 30 years time. I'll be dead by then and the things I have now will pass on.. my grandson might wish I had got him a DZ7312.

That's all well and good, but it does not remove from my mischievous mind an image of @mach 0.0013137 with one of those bad boys on each wrist having to drag his arms along behind him.

I hope it has a decent WR because anyone brave enough to swim in it is sinking to the bottom of whatever body of water they enter!

1 minute ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

Yay! NASCAR watch.

I was imagining tighter circles, like donuts, then I just carried on thinking about donuts.

Ohhhh, donuts.....

• Haha 2

A bit back the landlord of a boozer I used to frequent liked his watches. He was always into a bit of one upmanship so after seeing my U-Boat which if you included the crown arrangement was about 60mm. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN795T1ltoou6fcQs78zh

so he bought one of those Big Daddy watches. But then I got a hold of this dinner plate. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSn32BgDpCPWqGtjLfdr-E

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

Although to be fair I think the days of these huge watches are long gone. Quality wise his Big Daddy was a nicely finished decent bit of kit if it's what you are after. 

As for those shirts, my sisters husband has be know to wear them, I think he's watched Brave Heart once to often. I'm surprised he hasn't started talking with an Aussie accent. 

:biggrin:

Edited by BondandBigM
  • Like 1

In my experience of looking at both new and pre-owned Diesel watches, I would say that they are generally well-made and can be a bit "adventurous" in style. If you can get a decent discount on the RRP then a new Diesel watch can be reasonable value for money. I myself have a couple of Diesels in my collection, bought pre-owned.:)

• Like 1

In the early days of my watch collecting, I saw a Big Daddy Diesel on Ebay, like the DZ7314 above, for about £100. Underneath, Ebay had helpfully listed a load of what looked like identical watches, with and without the "Diesel" logo, supplied from China for £7.50. I assumed that was the original manufacturer making a bit on the side and that Diesel were raking in £92.50 profit. I didn't buy either of them.

52 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

In the early days of my watch collecting, I saw a Big Daddy Diesel on Ebay, like the DZ7314 above, for about £100. Underneath, Ebay had helpfully listed a load of what looked like identical watches, with and without the "Diesel" logo, supplied from China for £7.50. I assumed that was the original manufacturer making a bit on the side and that Diesel were raking in £92.50 profit. I didn't buy either of them.

Was there not a furthe £100 for the P&P (Pallet and Pick-up Truck)?

I can't pretend that I like them because I don't and never have. They're fashion watches that basically just do oversized quartz junk. Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against quartz watches, but fashion quartz watches I've got everything against. They're the brown streak in the underwear of the watch world.

When I see Diesel watches on someone I immediately think "poser" and "know nothing watchtard".

All that said, they are made by Fossil (another brand I have little to no regard for), which are of decent quality overall, but nothing I'd ever waste my money on or time looking at. I'd pay more for a Chinese hack of a watch like Pagani Design than I would for either Fossil or Diesel. In fact I have many times.

But hey, to each their own. My suggestion, drop the Diesel search immediately and if oversized is what you're looking for, then look at something more respectable like Nixon, TW Steel, Bulova even.

• Like 1

Big chunk of steel, tiny ladies quartz movement :bash:

I've done battery changes in loads of these and they all seem to use a teeny tiny module with a great big plastic spacer. Not that that's unusual with fashion watches but I personally steer clear. 

They make great jeans, though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I can't pretend that I like them because I don't and never have. They're fashion watches that basically just do oversized quartz junk.

The ones I have seen were certainly vulgar compared to most watches I gravitate towards, but they were far from "junk" ... Certainly I have never seen a Diesel watches with misaligned hands, so they get some things right , have you checked your Bulova ? :laugh:

21 hours ago, BondandBigM said:

Although to be fair I think the days of these huge watches are long gone.

It is noticeable that many brands have fewer >44mm watches in their line-ups.

I did try some large watches, had a Glycine Airman 46mm which had a 24mm bracelet and wore larger than its 46mm due to its large dial and narrow bezel. I made the mistake of wearing it to go to the dentist, the dental nurse exclaimed, oh my god that's huge"! just as the dentist was about to start drilling - kind of put me off wearing it :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

The ones I have seen were certainly vulgar compared to most watches I gravitate towards, but they were far from "junk" ... Certainly I have never seen a Diesel watches with misaligned hands, so they get some things right , have you checked your Bulova ? :laugh:

Yup both are perfectly aligned as far as I care for them to be. I'm not that nitpicky though. It's like those guys that will return a watch if the minute hand doesn't precisely line up with each and every minute market at exactly the point the seconds hand reaches its full rotation. Just worthless to me, as is accuracy within seconds. I only care that is accurate within a minute and the hands align well enough to know what time it actually is.

• Agree 1