• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Diesel Watches

I don't think it hurts to consider that if it weren't for fashion watches, wrist watches would probably be largely extinct in retail as old tech.

Fashion watches probably played a role in getting most of us into this hobby. 

In 2012, Fossil was worth $8bn which is what Rolex is worth today. 

Whilst a significant portion of that main market has moved on to Apple Watch  (which therefore deserves respect), my point is that if the large majority of people aren't buying F91-Ws, Fossil watches or Apple Watches, then there's no playground for us to play in either. 

Good on you Diesel...you flew the flag well for a time. 

Edited by antjrice
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, antjrice said:

I don't think it hurts to consider that if it weren't for fashion watches, wrist watches would probably be largely extinct in retail as old tech.

Sequestered as we tend to be in our little niche world, we sometimes overlook this.

When the shops reopened the other week, I suspect that more people were queueing outside Primark on the Monday morning than were telephoning to make appointments with their bespoke tailor, shirtmaker or couturier.

Sorry if I’ve said it before, but life is not a level playing field.

5 hours ago, antjrice said:

In 2012, Fossil was worth $8bn which is what Rolex is worth today. 

Whilst a significant portion of that main market has moved on to Apple Watch  (which therefore deserves respect), my point is that if the large majority of people aren't buying F91-Ws, Fossil watches or Apple Watches, then there's no playground for us to play in either. 

Good on you Diesel...you flew the flag well for a time. 

About 18 months ago, I was entertaining a marketing analyst and marketplace consultant about matters non-watchy but she shared with me her experiences contracting into "The Spring Fair" at the NEC during the mid 1990s - mid naughties. This included some HUGE deals she help broker for aforementioned "fashion brand watches". Given the margins on those watches back in the day I would suggest that it may have been a much more lucrative market than some these days would suspect. I used to visit the Spring Fair between 1997 and 2002 and although I spent most of my time in the Art Business Halls, I did mooch around the jewellery and watches Hall occasionally and it was clear there was a LOT of deals being signed, always more frenetic that the Art Halls..... those days are gone now of course.... But until you mentioned it, I have forgotten all about the days when the fashion watch ruled supreme ... 

Edited by JonnyOldBoy

I keep thinking that outside the field of WTCTSAAC.. it seems that everyone is missing something here. 

30 years after the timepieces have been ridiculed, some of them.. and that means.. very few of them.. have become iconic to that age.

They rise into what we would wish we can find in that 'bargain bin' and we wish we had seen with hindsight, that way we could sell them and buy a WTCTSAAC.

WTCTSAAC? Watches That Cost The Same As A Car..

I owned a Diesel watch. Bought it in 2004. I knew nothing about watches, I wanted a watch that looked good and it had a designer name so that was a plus. It cost £80. I really liked it and wore it with pride for many years. 

239569692053202.jpg?type=webp&to=crop&r=

I think this was probably not that long after Diesel watches first appeared. They weren't going for the huge overblown look at that time, this one was a more modest 42mm or 44mm, I can't honestly remember. I liked the retro shape and look. The strap was a 27mm and a real pain in the rear to replace. I did replaced it though, twice in the fifteen years I had the watch.

And it worked perfectly for fifteen years. I think I had to change the battery maybe three times. I sold it a couple of years ago because by then I was more into Seiko and Casio and this one didn't get worn much. £80 for fifteen years use isn't bad and for a long time I did really enjoying wearing it and looking at it. :)

• Like 1

I've got one Diesel watch in my collection, but don't wear it very often (in fact, I haven't worn for a few years...).  It's this bright red one:

2013-01-23 13.52.14

And when I say bright red, I mean it is SERIOUSLY bright (even more so that the photo shows).  I quite like it, but it soon became apparent that red hands against a black dial are quite difficult to read in low light, so it's not one I would wear when the sun goes down.  Quite a nice thing to wear though, with a nice soft silicon strap, and it's not too big like some of their other watches mentioned previously on here.  One other disadvantage is the strap is integral to the watch head, so if that breaks the whole watch is toast, and might as well be binned.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I've got one Diesel watch in my collection, but don't wear it very often (in fact, I haven't worn for a few years...).  It's this bright red one:

2013-01-23 13.52.14

And when I say bright red, I mean it is SERIOUSLY bright (even more so that the photo shows).  I quite like it, but it soon became apparent that red hands against a black dial are quite difficult to read in low light, so it's not one I would wear when the sun goes down.  Quite a nice thing to wear though, with a nice soft silicon strap, and it's not too big like some of their other watches mentioned previously on here.  One other disadvantage is the strap is integral to the watch head, so if that breaks the whole watch is toast, and might as well be binned.

If the bottom strap broke but the too strap was OK, you could just retrain a a nurse?