• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Omega Seamaster Cosmic Buying Advice

MD770

I'm considering the purchase of my first vintage watch and would appreciate advice on what to look for and what to pay. I really like the look of a Cosmic, particuarly one that retains the brushed finish rather than being polished to within an inch of it's life. I found this example -  but what do you guys think? Prices seem to be all over the place for these.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/omega-seamaster-cosmic--id18497459.htm

1 hour ago, MD770 said:

I'm considering the purchase of my first vintage watch and would appreciate advice on what to look for and what to pay. I really like the look of a Cosmic, particuarly one that retains the brushed finish rather than being polished to within an inch of it's life. I found this example -  but what do you guys think? Prices seem to be all over the place for these.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/omega-seamaster-cosmic--id18497459.htm

One word of advice that I can give is make sure it’s been serviced. Cosmics are front loaders and often seem to get neglected when it comes to servicing because of this 

• Agree 1

Wait. 

The cross hairs seem odd. 

Get 'LOTS' of photos of what it should be and then compair them all. 

If you don't get it now.. get it right.

Its not the money spent, its the knowledge you have the right correct one. 

Guys, if you know, you have the knowledge. Pass it on. 

• Like 1

I have now examined pictures of Omega Cosmics alongside the pictures of the watch you are considering, @MD770, and I feel that the doubt raised by @SolaVeritate is worth taking seriously. My own doubts concern the printing of the term "Seamaster" because it doesn't seem to be straight and true in its position over the word "COSMIC". I just wonder if the dial on the watch has been restored or refurbished at some time.

• Like 1

The S of Seamaster seems odd too.  I would like to find others with the same dial to be sure it is not a redial (which kills values).  I doubt that strap and buckle has ever been near an Omega factory too - looks like an eBay china fake strap/clasp.  And being a private sale and you having no experience of vintage just sounds like a risk on your behalf.

Compare and contrast to this excellent one, also on C24

17679867-axuo5iajj7fvqf6wydfskui2-Zoom.jpg

image.thumb.png.082b47326fa4c7365fda708853d9ab3e.png

Look at how sharp the print is on this dial, compared to the one at the bottom.  Look so you can see every detail on the lettering.  This also has 1/5th second markers, and the one you are looking at doesn't.  That could be a dial variation, but dial repainters tend to keep things simple and often don't add the small details.  The lume plots are all the right creamy colour too on this one.

@andyclient is correct too about being a front loader.  They can be difficult to split if the sealant used around the time of this watch has gone hard.  Happened to me once, and I haven't bought another Cosmic since (in over 200 Omega watches)

• Like 1

Brilliant info. Really appreciate the insight guys. Many thanks for this....will pass on this one. 

11 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

Compare and contrast to this excellent one, also on C24

17679867-axuo5iajj7fvqf6wydfskui2-Zoom.jpg

That one is lovely. And I see the difference. Double the price but worth it - I guess you get what you pay for!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MD770 said:

Brilliant info. Really appreciate the insight guys. Many thanks for this....will pass on this one. 

That one is lovely. And I see the difference. Double the price but worth it - I guess you get what you pay for!!

I would still wait a little while, compare it with a few thats out for sale and you can find previously sold and really be judgemental.

There's no hurry to grab that watch. Its not the only one. Learn about it and then grab yours 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...