• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cousins UK

Ordered some gaskets for my watch, and Cousins sent out the wrong ones. When contacted they refused to send out the right ones until my next order - which could be never. Told me I shouldn't be using them if I'm not a business, and they hide behind the fact that they sell to businesses and are thus not covered by consumer law. No checks from them (that I recall) as to whether I'm a business or not, and happy to take my money both now and in the past.

Well, they are not the only show in town, so will go elsewhere in future.

Experiences from others?

14 minutes ago, chris_s said:

Ordered some gaskets for my watch, and Cousins sent out the wrong ones. When contacted they refused to send out the right ones until my next order - which could be never. Told me I shouldn't be using them if I'm not a business, and they hide behind the fact that they sell to businesses and are thus not covered by consumer law. No checks from them (that I recall) as to whether I'm a business or not, and happy to take my money both now and in the past.

Experiences from others?

If they sent the wrong ones (ie. different from what was ordered) then the fact that being business-to-business and outside of the scope of the consumer contracts regulations (that gives a cooling off period for online purchases, rights to return goods, etc...) is irrelevant, they either need to refund you or allow a return and replace with the correct item.

https://www.wholesaleclearance.co.uk/blog/difference-between-b2b-and-b2c-long-distance-selling-regulations/

21 minutes ago, chris_s said:

Experiences from others?

I have read this sort of thing in the past, that said my personal experience has been fine with Cousins. Generally quick delivery and keen pricing.

I have had this happen in the past with them and just put a cheap order in for some batteries or a strap , I know it’s not ideal and it’s more postage etc but I needed the part quickly. In my case it wasn’t the wrong part the part was incomplete but their same rules seemed to apply 

Posted (edited)

I've been asked to close my account, as they have no wish to deal with me again !! Oddly, I'm happy to do so

Problem is, it's only some gaskets at about £1.50, and it would only cost them a second class stamp to post new ones.

Edited by chris_s

They are a trade wholesaler and have been quite responsive with a faulty item I had.  But the difference may be that I have spent £1,230 this year to date, so my business is valued a little more.

But without them the industry would struggle, especially post Brexit now some of the European suppliers may not want the extra paperwork involved in UK sales.

I do wish they would improve their void fill though - those unrecyclable white chips are annoying.  I don't even like using them as void fill on parcels I send out, in case people think I am not reusing but buying the hateful things

I spend thousands a year with Cousins, very very very few issues - only one that I can recall tbh, regarding next day delivery over Christmas and New year.

I spat my dummy out and complained and the owner reached out via a message on their site to tell me I was being unreasonable (which I was) and remind me that every other order I've had processed has come the next day.

This is annoying and I'm sorry but as you say its not the end of the world given the value this time. Would it be classed as a consumable? I'm pretty sure they offer no return on that stuff anyway.

56 minutes ago, chris_s said:

I've been asked to close my account, as they have no wish to deal with me again !

Sounds like that is no great loss to you mate.  If that's the way they conduct their business, you're better off going elsewhere anyway.  What a bunch of Muppets.

• Like 1

I bought some watch crystals from them when I changed one on my Oris about 6 years ago - I've not ordered since but at the time I couldn't find anyone else to order the stuff from. I broke the first one fitting it so lucky I ordered two.

Maybe when you find another supplier close your account?

53 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

those unrecyclable white chips are annoying.  I don't even like using them as void fill on parcels I send out, in case people think I am not reusing but buying the hateful things

My Christmas hamper came with some that dissolved in water - not sure what they dissolved into though ....

I know its annoying but if you use them often their prices are extremely good. I use them mostly for straps, watch pins, tools, the odd crystal etc. I tried to return some straps on my first order because their standard strap length seems very short and I then realised they wouldnt accept any returns. But I take it on the chin now anything that I order thats no use. I will probably put it up here soon free to a good home. 

The thing really is the cost. I bought a couple of Natos off Amazon etc for £10-15. Then found Cousins at £1.50 to £4.50!

Leather Natos about a fiver. Downside is I now have just over 90 NATO straps now!

A crystal for a Seiko for my sons watch was a few quid, he was quoted over a hundred by the local jeweler to do it. 

I think the message is if its a one off maybe not the best but if you are continuely using them pricing alone is a winner. 

Funny thing is they use a camera packing system so order faults just shouldnt happen unless a human has put the wrong stock in for the robot to pick in which case everyones screwed. 

31 minutes ago, Dilly said:

I know its annoying but if you use them often their prices are extremely good. I use them mostly for straps, watch pins, tools, the odd crystal etc. I tried to return some straps on my first order because their standard strap length seems very short and I then realised they wouldnt accept any returns. But I take it on the chin now anything that I order thats no use. I will probably put it up here soon free to a good home. 

The thing really is the cost. I bought a couple of Natos off Amazon etc for £10-15. Then found Cousins at £1.50 to £4.50!

Leather Natos about a fiver. Downside is I now have just over 90 NATO straps now!

A crystal for a Seiko for my sons watch was a few quid, he was quoted over a hundred by the local jeweler to do it. 

I think the message is if its a one off maybe not the best but if you are continuely using them pricing alone is a winner. 

Funny thing is they use a camera packing system so order faults just shouldnt happen unless a human has put the wrong stock in for the robot to pick in which case everyones screwed. 

Yes, their prices tend to be good, but I've only ever ordered from them 4 times in 6 years, and at least two of those were less than £20, so I doubt they'll miss me, and going elsewhere isn't exactly going to break the bank.

If you do use them, don't let them know you don't have a business, as that seems to rather p**s them off.

17 minutes ago, chris_s said:

Yes, their prices tend to be good, but I've only ever ordered from them 4 times in 6 years, and at least two of those were less than £20, so I doubt they'll miss me, and going elsewhere isn't exactly going to break the bank.

If you do use them, don't let them know you don't have a business, as that seems to rather p**s them off.

I'm sure when I signed up there was an option that at least was vague enough I didn't feel like I was lying. Probably it's the complaining they don't like. :biggrin:

i do use Cousins for movements, straps and consumables,their prices are very competetive.i am aware that others have experienced shortcomings in customer relations but i have had only one problem which to be fair they did sort out. there is no viable UK alternative that i know of with the same range of watch stuff..

11 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I'm sure when I signed up there was an option that at least was vague enough I didn't feel like I was lying. Probably it's the complaining they don't like. :biggrin:

Complaing certainly seemed to be the final straw from my experiences today. But it's seems I'm not the only one, if you check their trustpilot reviews for the last year or so.

1 hour ago, chris_s said:

Complaing certainly seemed to be the final straw from my experiences today. But it's seems I'm not the only one, if you check their trustpilot reviews for the last year or so.

It seems they could not a give a about their customers ... unless they are spending lots of money with them.  Only in it for the money..... Sadly a lot of world is going that way..... Personally I treat my customers exactly the same , spending £1 or £1000 , don't care ,,,, 

• Like 1