UK Watch Forum banner

Cousins UK

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  chris_s 
#1 ·
Ordered some gaskets for my watch, and Cousins sent out the wrong ones. When contacted they refused to send out the right ones until my next order - which could be never. Told me I shouldn't be using them if I'm not a business, and they hide behind the fact that they sell to businesses and are thus not covered by consumer law. No checks from them (that I recall) as to whether I'm a business or not, and happy to take my money both now and in the past.

Well, they are not the only show in town, so will go elsewhere in future.

Experiences from others?

#2 ·
Ordered some gaskets for my watch, and Cousins sent out the wrong ones. When contacted they refused to send out the right ones until my next order - which could be never. Told me I shouldn't be using them if I'm not a business, and they hide behind the fact that they sell to businesses and are thus not covered by consumer law. No checks from them (that I recall) as to whether I'm a business or not, and happy to take my money both now and in the past.

Experiences from others?
If they sent the wrong ones (ie. different from what was ordered) then the fact that being business-to-business and outside of the scope of the consumer contracts regulations (that gives a cooling off period for online purchases, rights to return goods, etc...) is irrelevant, they either need to refund you or allow a return and replace with the correct item.

https://www.wholesaleclearance.co.uk/blog/difference-between-b2b-and-b2c-long-distance-selling-regulations/

#3 ·

Experiences from others?
I have read this sort of thing in the past, that said my personal experience has been fine with Cousins. Generally quick delivery and keen pricing.

#4 ·
I have had this happen in the past with them and just put a cheap order in for some batteries or a strap , I know it's not ideal and it's more postage etc but I needed the part quickly. In my case it wasn't the wrong part the part was incomplete but their same rules seemed to apply

#7 ·
They are a trade wholesaler and have been quite responsive with a faulty item I had. But the difference may be that I have spent £1,230 this year to date, so my business is valued a little more.

But without them the industry would struggle, especially post Brexit now some of the European suppliers may not want the extra paperwork involved in UK sales.

I do wish they would improve their void fill though - those unrecyclable white chips are annoying. I don't even like using them as void fill on parcels I send out, in case people think I am not reusing but buying the hateful things

#8 ·
I spend thousands a year with Cousins, very very very few issues - only one that I can recall tbh, regarding next day delivery over Christmas and New year.

I spat my dummy out and complained and the owner reached out via a message on their site to tell me I was being unreasonable (which I was) and remind me that every other order I've had processed has come the next day.

This is annoying and I'm sorry but as you say its not the end of the world given the value this time. Would it be classed as a consumable? I'm pretty sure they offer no return on that stuff anyway.

#10 ·
I bought some watch crystals from them when I changed one on my Oris about 6 years ago - I've not ordered since but at the time I couldn't find anyone else to order the stuff from. I broke the first one fitting it so lucky I ordered two.

Maybe when you find another supplier close your account?

#12 ·
I know its annoying but if you use them often their prices are extremely good. I use them mostly for straps, watch pins, tools, the odd crystal etc. I tried to return some straps on my first order because their standard strap length seems very short and I then realised they wouldnt accept any returns. But I take it on the chin now anything that I order thats no use. I will probably put it up here soon free to a good home.

The thing really is the cost. I bought a couple of Natos off Amazon etc for £10-15. Then found Cousins at £1.50 to £4.50!

Leather Natos about a fiver. Downside is I now have just over 90 NATO straps now!

A crystal for a Seiko for my sons watch was a few quid, he was quoted over a hundred by the local jeweler to do it.

I think the message is if its a one off maybe not the best but if you are continuely using them pricing alone is a winner.

Funny thing is they use a camera packing system so order faults just shouldnt happen unless a human has put the wrong stock in for the robot to pick in which case everyones screwed.

#13 ·
I know its annoying but if you use them often their prices are extremely good. I use them mostly for straps, watch pins, tools, the odd crystal etc. I tried to return some straps on my first order because their standard strap length seems very short and I then realised they wouldnt accept any returns. But I take it on the chin now anything that I order thats no use. I will probably put it up here soon free to a good home.

The thing really is the cost. I bought a couple of Natos off Amazon etc for £10-15. Then found Cousins at £1.50 to £4.50!

Leather Natos about a fiver. Downside is I now have just over 90 NATO straps now!

A crystal for a Seiko for my sons watch was a few quid, he was quoted over a hundred by the local jeweler to do it.

I think the message is if its a one off maybe not the best but if you are continuely using them pricing alone is a winner.

Funny thing is they use a camera packing system so order faults just shouldnt happen unless a human has put the wrong stock in for the robot to pick in which case everyones screwed.
Yes, their prices tend to be good, but I've only ever ordered from them 4 times in 6 years, and at least two of those were less than £20, so I doubt they'll miss me, and going elsewhere isn't exactly going to break the bank.

If you do use them, don't let them know you don't have a business, as that seems to rather p**s them off.

#15 ·
i do use Cousins for movements, straps and consumables,their prices are very competetive.i am aware that others have experienced shortcomings in customer relations but i have had only one problem which to be fair they did sort out. there is no viable UK alternative that i know of with the same range of watch stuff..

#18 ·
So, further to all the above, I raised a complaint with the ICO about their site and handling of data - not expecting much. And to my surprise I've just received a judgement from them finding against Cousins, and giving them 28 days to put things right. If they continue to fail, then they may be hit with sanctions - seems the under-dog can win sometimes!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.