• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Confession - I Like Jack Mason Watches

I'm seriously super tempted by almost everything Jack Mason!!! In fact I kind of secretly want one of everything they produce.

Seriously though, they use decent movements, the case backs have decent designs on them, they have a good look to them, their dials are usually quite unique and "off the beaten path", and they offer one hell of a bang for buck.

Anybody have one they can report on?

8 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Anybody have one they can report on?

I must confess I had never heard of them, so I had a quick look at the site. They have some decent looking pieces at what seem to be very good prices. I suspect they are not yet well-known on this side of The Pond.  Perhaps you can be our guinea pig and report back? 

A cheep risk/guilt free way to start here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Mason-Mens-Vanderbilt-Commodores-Watch-JMU-1000-VD-New-Batt-Runs-Gr8-/264286242256?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

:thumbs_up:

Just browsing their website as I had not seen them before either, not keen on the Solar Collection, but like the look of everything else, the GMT and the Aviator especially.

Reminds me a little of some Dan Henry watches, a brand I've had 2 of and been impressed with.

17 minutes ago, Bricey said:

A cheep risk/guilt free way to start here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jack-Mason-Mens-Vanderbilt-Commodores-Watch-JMU-1000-VD-New-Batt-Runs-Gr8-/264286242256?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

:thumbs_up:

Just browsing their website as I had not seen them before either, not keen on the Solar Collection, but like the look of everything else, the GMT and the Aviator especially.

Reminds me a little of some Dan Henry watches, a brand I've had 2 of and been impressed with.

And that's the reason I haven't tried them yet. I owned two Dan Henry watches, they are junk. Great looking, but cheaply built, with cheap garbage materials. Basically China! Need I say more?

10 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

And that's the reason I haven't tried them yet. I owned two Dan Henry watches, they are junk. Great looking, but cheaply built, with cheap garbage materials. Basically China! Need I say more?

They've definitely got a similar look, but that doesn't mean a similar standard, I guess the only way to know is to take the punt and give one a try, the beauty with watches of this ilk is there's not a lot to lose as you can probably move it on for 80% of its original cost if you don't gel with it, so it turns in to a £25-40 investment to give them a try.

I think I actually made on both of the Dan Henry's when I moved them on.

I quite liked the Compressor I had, but the Spinnaker in my collection at the time was nicer and too similar. The Gran Turismo had lugs that were sharp on my wrist and was a touch too small, but looked good in the box more than the wrist.

1 minute ago, Bricey said:

They've definitely got a similar look, but that doesn't mean a similar standard, I guess the only way to know is to take the punt and give one a try, the beauty with watches of this ilk is there's not a lot to lose as you can probably move it on for 80% of its original cost if you don't gel with it, so it turns in to a £25-40 investment to give them a try.

I think I actually made on both of the Dan Henry's when I moved them on.

I quite liked the Compressor I had, but the Spinnaker in my collection at the time was nicer and too similar. The Gran Turismo had lugs that were sharp on my wrist and was a touch too small, but looked good in the box more than the wrist.

Nah I won't try one. Nor would I ever try a Spinnaker. They seem on par with each other honestly. I hate Spinnaker dials, they look like cheap Mexican adobes.

1 hour ago, JayDeep said:

Nah I won't try one. Nor would I ever try a Spinnaker. They seem on par with each other honestly. I hate Spinnaker dials, they look like cheap Mexican adobes.

I wasn't trying to convert you to DH, I was talking about trying a JM.

You strike me as the type that would haunt my nightmares if I tried to talk you into a watch you didn't like :laughing2dw:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I wasn't trying to convert you to DH, I was talking about trying a JM.

You strike me as the type that would haunt my nightmares if I tried to talk you into a watch you didn't like :laughing2dw:

So you get me then...

22 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

So you get me then...

:teethsmile:

I've not been here long enough to know if we're allowed favourites, but you're mine.

I don't doubt that a venn diagram of our watch collections would be two circles in different timezones, nor that our personalities would probably return similar results, but you're awesome.

Blunt, opinionated and direct to the point, but fully awesome.

Now make sure you report back with an appraisal once you take the leap of faith with Jack Mason.

:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bricey said:

:teethsmile:

I've not been here long enough to know if we're allowed favourites, but you're mine.

I don't doubt that a venn diagram of our watch collections would be two circles in different timezones, nor that our personalities would probably return similar results, but you're awesome.

Blunt, opinionated and direct to the point, but fully awesome.

Now make sure you report back with an appraisal once you take the leap of faith with Jack Mason.

:thumbsup:

Agreed and ditto!

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, antjrice said:

So let catch up....

This thread is saying that Dan Henry and Spinnaker are Chinese made junk....and Jack Mason is not

2021-04-28_09-33-58

No not at all. I'm just saying they look very decent. Some using Swiss movements like Rhonda, which are very quality. Unlike the aforementioned. Also I only said I hate Spinnaker dials. Not that they're junk. I never said that.

Edited by JayDeep

4 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Also I only said I hate Spinnaker dials. Not that they're junk. I never said that.

When you said Spinnaker was on a par with Dan Henry, I assumed you meant across the board.

I've not owned a Dan Henry but those that do seem to be happy with the quality and the VK63 is a reasonable way to keep the cost down so you get what you pay for.

I'd not heard of Jack Mason before today but they seem to be doing a very good job with their aesthetics. I like it when i brand sticks to a theme and if I wasn't deep into this watch thing, if I saw this brand, i think i'd happily wear one daily.

I geniuenly think it helps that their brand sounds like a character from a Tom Clancy novel....

3 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I geniuenly think it helps that their brand sounds like a character from a Tom Clancy novel....

I now want to see a movie starring Tom Hardy (as Lt. Daniel Wellington), Casey Affleck (as Pvt. Dan Henry) and Ryan Reynold's (as the maverick Lance Corporal Elliot Brown) trying to save the life of kidnapped eccentric billionaire Antony Hopkins (as Jack Mason), from the clutches of the terrorist organisation known only as Skagen.

• 1 month later...

Well I just bought one. A Rhonda quartz GMT. We'll see how it is when it arrives, but it's just to fill the last spot in my travel case, so I'll almost never wear it. I didn't really love it until I saw the profile view and this, to me, is how every watch should look from the side...

It also fits a much needed hole in my collection, 3 in fact. I've always wanted to have a Rhonda quartz movement, a 3 hander GMT and a Pepsi bezel. Too bad I'm not likely to wear it but maybe one week every couple of years. I hate travel!!! But I promised the ball and chain that I would take more time off work, a few 3 day weekends kind of thing, and do some local vacationing with her at least. So maybe this will get a little more action than I think.

JM-N121-001-1_C.G._1000x.jpg

JM-N121-001-2_C.G._1000x.jpg

• Like 6

On 28/04/2021 at 10:05, Bricey said:

I now want to see a movie starring Tom Hardy (as Lt. Daniel Wellington), Casey Affleck (as Pvt. Dan Henry) and Ryan Reynold's (as the maverick Lance Corporal Elliot Brown) trying to save the life of kidnapped eccentric billionaire Antony Hopkins (as Jack Mason), from the clutches of the terrorist organisation known only as Skagen.

All was going well until French secret agent Raymond Weil (Kad Mérad) and the new head of MI6 Sir Christopher Ward (Benedict Cumberbatch) got involved.

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Well I just bought one. A Rhonda quartz GMT. We'll see how it is when it arrives, but it's just to fill the last spot in my travel case, so I'll almost never wear it. I didn't really love it until I saw the profile view and this, to me, is how every watch should look from the side...

It also fits a much needed hole in my collection, 3 in fact. I've always wanted to have a Rhonda quartz movement, a 3 hander GMT and a Pepsi bezel. Too bad I'm not likely to wear it but maybe one week every couple of years. I hate travel!!! But I promised the ball and chain that I would take more time off work, a few 3 day weekends kind of thing, and do some local vacationing with her at least. So maybe this will get a little more action than I think.

JM-N121-001-1_C.G._1000x.jpg

JM-N121-001-2_C.G._1000x.jpg

That’s a nice profile!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I would say more like the Texas lone star crown.

OK, the pattern around it reminded me of a kind of 'wheat ear' agrarian design, or maybe laurel leaves, a bit like the cockade I bought off Etsy for my fur lined cap:

No photo description available.

I have a spare one if you want one, to go with your watch?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

OK, the pattern around it reminded me of a kind of 'wheat ear' agrarian design, or maybe laurel leaves, a bit like the cockade I bought off Etsy for my fur lined cap:

No photo description available.

I have a spare one if you want one, to go with your watch?

No but thank you.

On 28/04/2021 at 09:53, antjrice said:

Or middleweight contenders..

"In the red corner defending the title.. Jack 'Mauler' Mason.. in the blue corner, contender Dan 'Destroyer' Henry.. let's get readeeee to ruuuumble!"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Well it arrived, the bracelet is super cheap hollow link crap. Sounds like it's made of tin. The seconds hand alignment to the markers is the typical tick or two off, but it's fine for a travel piece I'll never wear. Bezel alignment is perfection and is 60 click. It's not a solid clicking, but it doesn't have any play or wobble so I'm pleased.

There's nothing great about it, with a decent strap it would be a good daily beater honestly. Yeah for what it is I'm a fan. For the price one could do better.

IMG_20210609_151535__01.jpg

IMG_20210609_151653.jpg

IMG_20210609_151634.jpg

IMG_20210609_151613.jpg

IMG_20210609_151604.jpg

IMG_20210609_151554.jpg

Edited by JayDeep