• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Weight is everything!

I've noticed and recognized one most important thing in my two decades of watch collecting... Heft is everything. Light weight watches are almost always garbage!

The weight of a watch is a huge tell. Cheap watches are made from cheap materials, not just the low end movements they house, but also the extremely low grade and extra thin steels.

The problem is, the kind of watches that are made of these materials aren't ones sold in stores. They're sold on AliExpress, eBay, Etsy, DHGate, Wish, etc... But they're also sold direct from the manufacturer, such as Daniel Wellington, Dan Henry, and I'm sure most of the watches you see advertised on YouTube and other social media platforms.

Anyway, just a random worthless thought I decided to drunkenly share with you all while my fiance works rather than paint attention to me... Lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I've noticed and recognized one most important thing in my two decades of watch collecting... Heft is everything. Light weight watches are almost always garbage! ...

Possibly your most weird way to judge horology to date. What the heck are you drinking at the moment, it sounds fun ? :biggrin:

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Heft is everything. Light weight watches are almost always garbage!

I’m sorry, but I just totally disagree with that. In many ways, smaller and lighter watches are easier and more comfortable to wear. I have a couple of outstanding watches that are really light, and you appear to disregard the whole thing about titanium watches. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, artistmike said:

Possibly your most weird way to judge horology to date. What the heck are you drinking at the moment, it sounds fun ? :biggrin:

It's just an observation based on my experience. But my experience is solely sport watch based. I loathe dress watches and they're all cheap and light. No thanks.

Just now, AVO said:

I’m sorry, but I just totally disagree with that. In many ways, smaller and lighter watches are easier and more comfortable to wear. I have a couple of outstanding watches that are really light, and you appear to disregard the whole thing about titanium watches. 

I hate the look of titanium watches. Also hate the lack of weight. Had a couple, immediately moved them on.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, AVO said:

Seriously? What utter dross! 

Lol true,I just hated dress watches because I think they look feminine. It's just a half truth that most (not all) are tiny and cheap looking, but not feeling.

3 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Lol true,I just hated dress watches because I think they look feminine.

It is a thought to which you are perfectly entitled, but once again I beg to differ. It’s perfectly possible to be wholly masculine while at the same time being relatively small, sophisticated and lacking in aggression.

I will happily wear this day in, day out as opposed to most of the watches I see on this or any other forum. It’s relatively small and light (very light in fact) – in some ways you could describe it as unisex but really, with almost any clothing and in almost any situation, it really doesn’t have to try. It certainly doesn’t need to flex its muscles and shout Look at Me, I’m a Bloody Hero!

EB6FD3F9-DFE2-4D58-85DC-1A3D79400803.thumb.jpeg.9f70828c20f4e289ca519ebb7eb34337.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AVO said:

It is a thought to which you are perfectly entitled, but once again I beg to differ. It’s perfectly possible to be wholly masculine while at the same time being relatively small, sophisticated and lacking in aggression.

I will happily wear this day in, day out as opposed to most of the watches I see on this or any other forum. It’s relatively small and light (very light in fact) – in some ways you could describe it as unisex but really, with almost any clothing and in almost any situation, it really doesn’t have to try. It certainly doesn’t need to flex its muscles and shout Look at Me, I’m a Bloody Hero!

EB6FD3F9-DFE2-4D58-85DC-1A3D79400803.thumb.jpeg.9f70828c20f4e289ca519ebb7eb34337.jpeg

Nope. Feminine as hell. Lol sorry Avo, this is where I'm afraid we will always differ. That looks terrible to me.

7 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Nope. Feminine as hell. Lol sorry Avo, this is where I'm afraid we will always differ.

So be it. I have the confidence and self assurance to take it. I’ll try not to insult your watches.

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Nope. Feminine as hell. Lol sorry Avo, this is where I'm afraid we will always differ. That looks terrible to me.

You're wrong.  It's elegant, classical and classy.   Sexy as hell, especially peeping out from an elegant shirt cuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, BooJewels said:

You're wrong.  It's elegant, classical and classy.   Sexy as hell, especially peeping out from an elegant shirt cuff

You mean...?

235208A2-8BA7-4B08-B1AB-2126C07A9725.thumb.jpeg.de676cc9918566320b9dcc3ee92c7e20.jpeg

Or perhaps just posing with the pocket handkerchief of the day?

7F112289-5754-49A8-8058-536EBF2811FC.thumb.jpeg.1e33efca47497733cb2e13939f967e86.jpeg

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BooJewels said:

You're wrong.  It's elegant, classical and classy.   Sexy as hell, especially peeping out from an elegant shirt cuff. 

Sure if you're a woman.

22 minutes ago, AVO said:

You mean...?

235208A2-8BA7-4B08-B1AB-2126C07A9725.thumb.jpeg.de676cc9918566320b9dcc3ee92c7e20.jpeg

Or perhaps just posing with the pocket handkerchief of the day?

7F112289-5754-49A8-8058-536EBF2811FC.thumb.jpeg.1e33efca47497733cb2e13939f967e86.jpeg

Sorry Avo my friend, just not me.

1 minute ago, artistmike said:

Thou doth protest too much, methinks... :biggrin:

I wish it was that simple Mike, I truly do. But what you call too much, is me being extremely reserved. I just don't like anything other than sport watches. And there's nothing wrong with that.

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

I wish it was that simple Mike, I truly do. But what you call too much, is me being extremely reserved. I just don't like anything other than sport watches. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Jay, there's no problem in liking what you like. But do you really need to be quite so scornful about what you don't like? Live and let live.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AVO said:

Jay, there's no problem in liking what you like. But do you really need to be quite so scornful about what you don't like? Live and let live.

Well it's not that simple either. I presented a point. I still stick to that point. Even with dress watches, which I've tried and owned a few of. The cheap light weight ones were junk. I can only speak to that which I personally have experienced. So again, weight matters.

Are you trying to tell me your cartier is light? Or just light compared to a dive watch? Because there's a huge difference and that's not a distinction I made or presented. I would guess it's off decent heft. Not some cheap Fossil quartz. No?

Just now, artistmike said:

Well, perhaps you really should try something of quality for a change .... :biggrin:

Your definition of and mine might differ drastically. Also why pay for something I would never like? Dress watches don't solely equal quality Mike. Sorry you don't know that already.

8 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Are you trying to tell me your cartier is light? Or just light compared to a dive watch? Because there's a huge difference and that's not a distinction I made or presented. I would guess it's off decent heft. Not some cheap Fossil quartz. No?

According to a quick search, 59g including the alligator band. CW 40mm Trident diver is 108g on a hybrid band. Sorry, but I don't have a Fossil to compare. The 43mm Trident GMT I owned was around 160g including bracelet. Very much on the size/weight limit for me. So I'd say the Cartier is light.

19 minutes ago, BooJewels said:

Yep, works for me.  Very nice - discreet, understated.  The size of the watch and a bit of arm hair ensure all the masculinity you need - in a more subtle way.

Thank you. I don't NEED an assurance of my own masculinity, nor of that of my watches. If I did I'd probably prefer to rely on the opinion of a lady. :)

I think JayDeep has a point but maybe not on actual quality/cost but perhaps of an indication of materials used towards the quality/cost. 

I prefer a heavy watch anyway, I like the feel of it. The one I have on weighs in at around 200+ grams. You definitely know you are wearing it. The watch itself is heavy but most of the weight comes from the construction of the bracelet. It's not your typical cheap/flimsy folded steel (perhaps what JayDeep means) it's solid. 

Anyway.. heavy metal roolz! \m/ 

:thumbs_up: :notworthy: