• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Weight is everything!

1 minute ago, AVO said:

According to a quick search, 59g including the alligator band. CW 40mm Trident diver is 108g on a hybrid band. Sorry, but I don't have a Fossil to compare. The 43mm Trident GMT I owned was around 160g including bracelet. Very much on the size/weight limit for me. So I'd say the Cartier is light.

Eek. Yup it's way too light. I would hate that thing more than just by look. I can't say it's low quality because of that, and I would venture a guess that is quite the opposite, but I can say is not at all for me. Make me shudder to think of it though.

3 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Eek. Yup it's way too light. I would hate that thing more than just by look. I can't say it's low quality because of that, and I would venture a guess that is quite the opposite, but I can say is not at all for me. Make me shudder to think of it though.

That's where we differ, you see. To me it's comfortable. And yes, it's solid and very well made - high quality as you suggest.

You do use that verb "hate" quite a lot! Perhaps I'm not so passionate in my dislikes, but I prefer to profess indifference.

1 minute ago, AVO said:

That's where we differ, you see. To me it's comfortable. And yes, it's solid and very well made - high quality as you suggest.

You do use that verb "hate" quite a lot! Perhaps I'm not so passionate in my dislikes, but I prefer to profess indifference.

Yes. I'm extremely passionate about pretty much everything, unless I have no taste for it.

5 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Yes. I'm extremely passionate about pretty much everything, unless I have no taste for it.

It may be unfair, but I think that, if you really tried, you could be the first person to manage to be passionately uninterested in something. :laughing2dw:

Kind of "meh" but with gusto.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Bricey said:

It may be unfair, but I think that, if you really tried, you could be the first person to manage to be passionately uninterested in something. :laughing2dw:

Kind of "meh" but with gusto.

I'm in. Pick a subject.

12 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Carrying a hankerchief and a pocket knife as part of a gentleman's daily wardrobe.

Absolutely! Much as I prefer the shorts and t-shirt look , especially in summer, on the days when professional etiquette forces me into a jacket and tie (and socks), I always wear a pocket handkerchief to co-ordinate with the tie and socks.

3 minutes ago, AVO said:

Absolutely! Much as I prefer the shorts and t-shirt look , especially in summer, on the days when professional etiquette forces me into a jacket and tie (and socks), I always wear a pocket handkerchief to co-ordinate with the tie and socks.

I keep a hankerchief in my pocket at all times, even in shorts and T-shirt weather, but then with 8 kids between 18 years and 3 months (no duplicates, just a new baby every 2-3 years) it is coming up on 2 decades that I have never been more than 6 feet away from a snotty nose!

Edited by Bricey
grammar!

4 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I keep a hankerchief in my pocket at all times

Ah, yes, I have one in the trouser pocket, but the silk one in the breast pocket of the jacket is definitely no snot-rag.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JayDeep said:

Lol true,I just hated dress watches because I think they look feminine. It's just a half truth that most (not all) are tiny and cheap looking, but not feeling.

An alternative way of looking at it - I think they look grown up. :tongue:

Here's a fine example of a heavy watch.

image.png.a842c115f60d0a50b835a0655138ef16.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bricey said:

Carrying a hankerchief and a pocket knife as part of a gentleman's daily wardrobe.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the pocketknife, I own about 20. However I've stopped carrying one over the last year because I just don't have the room in my pockets and the clips that allow me to carry in my waistband scratch up my leather seats in my car. Plus it's uncomfortable to wear them there also.

What I do take passionately is what I carry on a daily basis. I used to carry my gun, a knife, a flashlight, my keys, wallet and phone. I've stopped carrying the knife and flashlight because, frankly, I never used them. I now just keep a couple in my car.

I've never carried a handkerchief. My dad always did, I never found a use for it. There's almost nowhere I go that doesn't have a bathroom I can use if I really need to blow my nose. and I keep one in the car so I'm covered.

I really didn't think my initial post through our complete my thoughts. Heft is a great indicator of quality materials used, with a couple of exceptions like precious metals and titanium, but it's not a guaranty of a quality watch. I do find it a good rule of thumb though, speaking generally and only if one has a chance to feel a watch in the flesh. The other exception is dress watches, as they are designed to be thinner, which would clearly affect a watches weight, so this rule does not apply.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JayDeep said:

I've noticed and recognized one most important thing in my two decades of watch collecting... Heft is everything. Light weight watches are almost always garbage!

Not true!

large.P2090357.JPG.f3f8960aaec182b8f5248172a94b208a.JPG

20 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Agreed wholeheartedly with the pocketknife, I own about 20. However I've stopped carrying one over the last year because I just don't have the room in my pockets and the clips that allow me to carry in my waistband scratch up my leather seats in my car. Plus it's uncomfortable to wear them there also.

What I do take passionately is what I carry on a daily basis. I used to carry my gun, a knife, a flashlight, my keys, wallet and phone. I've stopped carrying the knife and flashlight because, frankly, I never used them. I now just keep a couple in my car.

I've never carried a handkerchief. My dad always did, I never found a use for it. There's almost nowhere I go that doesn't have a bathroom I can use if I really need to blow my nose. and I keep one in the car so I'm covered.

I really didn't think my initial post through our complete my thoughts. Heft is a great indicator of quality materials used, with a couple of exceptions like precious metals and titanium, but it's not a guaranty of a quality watch. I do find it a good rule of thumb though, speaking generally and only if one has a chance to feel a watch in the flesh. The other exception is dress watches, as they are designed to be thinner, which would clearly affect a watches weight, so this rule does not apply.

I'm sure that someone wiser than me can properly quote the line about "a gentleman does not carry a hankerchief to use, he carries one to offer" or some such.

Or maybe that was about the gun :laughing2dw:

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

Ah, apologies. I obviously didn’t make that clear. I wasn’t referring to the kind of handkerchief on which one might blow the old hooter; rather, I meant the decorative silk pocket handkerchief that a gentleman might wear in the breast pocket of a jacket (q.v.)

6ABE6ED3-1284-4A70-AA59-1EBEEEDECFCF.thumb.jpeg.81091a703f525fbf2327fc60ddd824a5.jpeg

Edited by AVO
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AVO said:

Ah, apologies. I obviously didn’t make that clear. I wasn’t referring to the kind of handkerchief on which one might blow the old hooter; rather, I meant the decorative silk pocket handkerchief that a gentleman might wear in the breast pocket of a jacket (q.v.)

6ABE6ED3-1284-4A70-AA59-1EBEEEDECFCF.thumb.jpeg.81091a703f525fbf2327fc60ddd824a5.jpeg

Got it. We call those pocket squares and when I wear a suit jacket or blazer then yes, absolutely and without question. But I never wear a blazer or suit so I never have the occasion. Mine just collect dust.

• Like 1