• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

You collect watches, my Dad has died, and I found all these old watches. You sell them and you can have half of what they sell for.

So you are told that the father of your wife's best friend's daughter's partner ( I know...convoluted already this story, we'll call him 'NORMAN' so I don't have to go through that again) has sadly passed away, and there is a box of old watches that they would like you to have a look at. They obviously hold no sentimental value as 'NORMAN' says "you get them fixed, and sold and we'll go halves on what they sell for"

I hate it when people think you are some sort of watch 'guru' because you own a few watches, can size up watch bracelets, can change a watch battery, and can replace a watch crystal.

So the box arrives, and they think I'm Uri Geller and can get these watches working again by closing my eyes, rubbing the watch, or smell the watches and tell them what's wrong with them.

The assessment of the 5 or so watches is as follows...

One manual wind Smiths Empire watch from the 1960's-1970's, 2 further quartz pocket watches (Unnamed & Royal London), 2 x cheap Chinese quartz watches worth less than the new batteries I will put in them, and finally a Sekonda quartz dress watch worth approx £5, I think all the watches are worth not much more than £20-£30 ish (would have been nice to have found an old Patek Philippe or something tasty)

So...how do you tell 'NORMAN' that his Dad's watch collection is virtually worthless as far as resale value, and priceless in sentimental value?

Have you ever been asked something similar, and have you found 'The Good, the Bad, or the Ugly' :crazy5vh:

• Like 1

Hi Norman, Ive looked at all the watches and apart from the Smiths watch which I will keep and give you £200 for the rest of the entire collection are all affordable watches of the time and due to the cost of new affordable watches these days mean they will be very difficult if not impossible to sell because new watches can be had for such a low price these days. I have put batterys in the easy fix ones and got several running. Id suggest you keep any you fancy yourself or possibly gift them to any children you might know especially that knew your dad as this might start them down the route of an interest in Horology as your father had. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Balaton1109 said:

^    

This.                    

Have you ever been asked to 'assess' someone's watch finds?

I find it quite difficult to express an opinion on other people's watch collections mainly because watch collecting is a such personal thing, I wouldn't even tell my brother his watch collection is rubbish (IMHO)

One man's idea of a great watch is another man's idea of a junk watch. Nobody is wrong essentially.

5 minutes ago, Dilly said:

apart from the Smiths watch which I will keep and give you £200

£200, I thought it was only worth about £10 - £30 based on what I'd seen on the Bay.

Maybe I got that one totally wrong. :whistle:

I'll get a photo sorted and someone who is 'pocketwatchy' can pass comment.

10 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Have you ever been asked to 'assess' someone's watch finds?

I find it quite difficult to express an opinion on other people's watch collections mainly because watch collecting is a such personal thing, I wouldn't even tell my brother his watch collection is rubbish (IMHO)

One man's idea of a great watch is another man's idea of a junk watch. Nobody is wrong essentially.

£200, I thought it was only worth about £10 - £30 based on what I'd seen on the Bay.

Maybe I got that one totally wrong. :whistle:

I'll get a photo sorted and someone who is 'pocketwatchy' can pass comment.

You said the Smiths was a watch, I was being daft with the £200. If you look on the Smiths site the original, they service and sell antique Smiths, they are all £1000 to £2000 the last time I looked. 

Maybe you fix the obvious and use the forum to investigate and 'advise' based on the forum info so you are not taking the responsibility of value but are researching it for Norman. That would be pretty interesting. Some surely you will be able to discount as not worth selling but have put a battery in and it works. 

Put them all up on the forum for sale. Decent folk here, youll get fair offers for condition and working or not. 

• Like 1

been in this sort of position 3 or 4  times in as many decades. found a well thrashed omega and a vintage rolex (both ladies), a couple of vintage rotarys and LOTS of quartz tat in total.

the omega and rotarys proved to be way beyond economic repair - the rolex movement a runner but cosmetically not so good (put on a contemporary strap and still worm intermittently) - these were all womens watches which obvi doesn't help in terms of collectability / value.   and yes i got a bit of advice from a reputable watchmaker.

the only other similar situation was getting both of dads timex - one serviced (a runner but keeps mediocre time) and one paperweight. both keepers though.

just tell them straight its stuff they should bung on ebay or get shot of down the charity shop.  

smiths prices have gone up a bit in the last few years - i started out with smiths astral and everest watches . to get really good money they need to be  gold cased and fully serviced , boxed etc etc, the bulk of what is out there is still in the pocket money range.  cant be arsed with vintage now - me so bad !

have backed way off the battery / strap / clasp changing except for family and a couple of friends now - used to do half the street and lots of my old colleagues as well . did it as a favour and at cost , but it became a hassle and didnt want get into the situation of feeling pressured into providing some sort of warranty... and we moved to scotland so sod 'em :laughing2dw:

waffly sermon over , back about your business please. 

Edited by Rotundus
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

One manual wind Smiths Empire watch from the 1960's-1970's, 2 further quartz pocket watches (Unnamed & Royal London), 2 x cheap Chinese quartz watches worth less than the new batteries I will put in them, and finally a Sekonda quartz dress watch worth approx £5, I think all the watches are worth not much more than £20-£30 ish (would have been nice to have found an old Patek Philippe or something tasty)

Dear Norman, in order to give you a reliable assessment of your collection, we really need photos.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Dear Norman, in order to give you a reliable assessment of your collection, we really need photos.

4 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Of Norman or the Late Father?

Who the hell is Norman? I thought his name was Nebuchadnezzar.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

or get shot of down the charity shop

Exactly what I thought, keep the Smiths Empire pocket watch, and take the others to British Heart Foundation charity shop (they think he died of a heart attack)

There was a receipt for the Sekonda for £72.00 (bought 2018) and it can only be worth £5-£10 now. Not nice sifting through someone's belongings and assessing them as pretty much worthless, but sadly that is the truth of it.

It has made me think about all the 'sh!te' I hoard, and that it is time to have a clear out so someone else doesn't have to do quite so much when my time comes. Hopefully plenty of time left...fingers crossed. :teethsmile: 

8 minutes ago, Boots said:

Who the hell is Norman? I thought his name was Nebuchadnezzar.

Now here goes...I'm going to try and clear things up a little here.

So 'Norman's father died, and we changed Norman's name to Nebuchadnezzar, or Neb for short, but then again his friends may call him Nezz, I'll let you decide.

So Neb or Nezz, formerly known as Norman has acquired these watches from his late father, let's call him Ned for the sake of the saga. Neb or Nezz has Ned's watches and asked me ( I'll change my name to Nev just so Neb or Nezz formerly known as Norman doesn't know who is who) to a wee look over Ned's watches as Ned or Nezz formerly known as Norman doesn't know much about watches.

Is that clearer?

:watch:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Exactly what I thought, keep the Smiths Empire pocket watch, and take the others to British Heart Foundation charity shop (they think he died of a heart attack)

There was a receipt for the Sekonda for £72.00 (bought 2018) and it can only be worth £5-£10 now. Not nice sifting through someone's belongings and assessing them as pretty much worthless, but sadly that is the truth of it.

It has made me think about all the 'sh!te' I hoard, and that it is time to have a clear out so someone else doesn't have to do quite so much when my time comes. Hopefully plenty of time left...fingers crossed. :teethsmile: 

Could be worse, my mother left a load of "collectible" china, which was worthless. House clearance is the answer. They actually paid me for it, which was a surprise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

we are on house number 3 , but we downsized quite a bit that and having to clear out the family home after mum died put me in mind of getting rid of lots of clutter.

we had a huge clear out , then gave some stuff away, then paid a small fortune to move what was left from south wales to east scotland. then we had a clear out , still stuff going to tip and charity shops on a semi regular basis - i am down to only about 28 or 30 shirts. have been trying to buy less  but better in the last few years - seem to be going  easier on my clobber more recently. 

i could do with another shed though, and 710 need a potting shed ... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Is that clearer?

Sadly yes!

My brother-in-law brought two 1980s film camera round and left them for me to "look at". Well, I looked and called back - they're knackered, I said. Oh, he said, can't you tell me if they are worth repairing, or see if you can repair them and then tell me how much they are worth... sigh!

• Haha 1

Just take lots of photos, put the 5/6 of them up in here individually as "£1000 Or Nearest Offer" and see what happens. They are in a watch appreciation forum so you can chat with people about them. Then show him the results.. then if he agrees.. post them out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

i could do with another shed though

It is impossible to have too many sheds, I've done the maths :teethsmile:

16 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Is the wife's best friend's daughter worth a photo? Just thought I'd ask. :whistle:

Sadly not.

Just like the watches...there is limited appeal :crazy5vh:

• Haha 3

Tell "Norrie" to take the watches to the most exclusive jewelers in his area for an appraisal, and let someone else "insult" him.

3 hours ago, Dilly said:

You said the Smiths was a watch, I was being daft with the £200. If you look on the Smiths site the original, they service and sell antique Smiths, they are all £1000 to £2000 the last time I looked. 

Have a look at prices for Smiths EMPIRE.

Often found in charity/junk shops, and eBay for £25, or less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My MIL was left a trinket that she thought was silver and took it in to a jeweller she'd bought from several times.  He spent a good deal of time examining it with a loupe, weighing it and consulting a book on his shelf, then tapped away on a calculator.   He handed it back to her with a very earnest look on his face and declared it to be worth 'about 60p'.

It was spelter or pewter or something and you have to admire him having some sport with it.

She's kept it - the story is worth more than the piece

• Haha 3