• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Do you recall your first grail!

I didn't have a grail watch as such, but instead a grail requirement, I.e. I wanted an automatic watch, a proper grown up watch lovers watch.

Started off looking at a Breitling but ended up with an automatic Oris Chronograph. Boy, was I happy that I had finally arrived.

I still have it and still love it so I can probably say it turned out to be a grail of sorts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, AlwaysAlba said:

I didn't have a grail watch as such, but instead a grail requirement, I.e. I wanted an automatic watch, a proper grown up watch lovers watch.

Started off looking at a Breitling but ended up with an automatic Oris Chronograph. Boy, was I happy that I had finally arrived.

I still have it and still love it so I can probably say it turned out to be a grail of sorts.

Absolutely agree! Great watch choice!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, yokel said:

Strange concept, "grail".

A grail is (by definition, there can have been only one holy grail) just one model. But, it's just a watch, if maybe one which is very attractive but either too expensive or just damned difficult to find.

If there is one certainty I have learned about this ludicrous hobby, it is that one's tastes will change over time  --  so today's grail could become tomorrow's flipper. That should encourage the collector to treat "grailhood" like triumph and disaster (see Kipling's "If").

I now have a list of half a dozen watches that I'd quite like to own, rather than a single grail. I keep my little list updated because I have found that patience, and a good contact network, can occasionally make the seemingly difficult possible  --  meaning that I now own several from earlier lists.

Just my tuppence.

I jave a list!!! On a spreadsheet no less.

You cannot deny I'm the son you never had!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

Plus I often 'go off' a watch having initially liked it alot.

I had the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch on my hit list for ages. I went to a couple AD's to try a Speedmaster, and a Seamaster or two, and I felt nothing, no 'fizz', no 'tingle'.

Funny how a how a watch can get 'under your skin', but as soon as you get it on wrist it is not the watch you thought it was. Whenever I see a picture of a Speedmaster or a Seamaster on WRUW I give a 'thanks' as I still think they are fantastic looking watches, but I'll probably never own one.

Don't 'they' always say...never meet your heroes?

• Like 3

In the early years I wore an old Sekonda but when I sort of got more interested regardless of pedigree or make I just bought what I liked the look of. 

First proper grail though was an LV right from when I first saw it in a magazine I was smitten and wanted one.

Eventually got one and it hasn't disappointed. 

mde.jpg

:)

• Like 2

Pretty easy one for me, it was the ‘HARWOOD’, followed by several vintage pieces of old tat(?)

Some I’ve been fortunate to acquire, others have been elusive due to either being extremely scarce or beyond my financial means.

Modern (contemporary) timepieces, although I have a few, don’t really excite me like chasing, waiting, for a piece of old tat!

Vintage rules in Karrrusel Towers.

:biggrin:

• Like 2

Yes, it was an Omega Seamaster GMT 168.1613 which was one of the watches produced to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Seamaster. I think @Roy sourced it for me, I wish I had kept it.

large.omega_seamaster_GMT_01.jpg.9adba4140907c732e20e11692bc88b07.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I had the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch on my hit list for ages. I went to a couple AD's to try a Speedmaster, and a Seamaster or two, and I felt nothing, no 'fizz', no 'tingle'.

Funny how a how a watch can get 'under your skin', but as soon as you get it on wrist it is not the watch you thought it was. Whenever I see a picture of a Speedmaster or a Seamaster on WRUW I give a 'thanks' as I still think they are fantastic looking watches, but I'll probably never own one.

Don't 'they' always say...never meet your heroes?

Good point, and not just watches either, many times i`ve gone to the shops to buy something in particular and when i`ve seen it up close its decidedly underwhelming, personally unless i`d seen one beforehand and i was certain what i was getting i`d never buy a nice watch online, they are something that i would want to pore over up close/try on etc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another note about the concept of a grail, for me, is that being a grail doesn't necessarily indicate cost. It could just indicate lack of availability or lack of yet being produced. For instance, the blue Seiko mm300 mod I'm having made isn't a watch that's made by Seiko, but everything about it is exactly what I never knew I wanted yet oh so much more than I knew possible. It's pure perfection and believe it or not, it is a grail achieved for me. It's completely personalized in every way by simply taking parts from other watches and putting them together. Like legos. Again I know some consider this blasphemy, but I'm not trying to pass it off as something it's not, I don't care that it's not a real Seiko because Seiko almost never makes anything I actually want to buy. I've owned two MM pieces before and was never impressed, but this thing I'm going is even half as nice as pictures would indicate.

Anyway, I guess what I'm talking about isn't truly a grail, but it's graileque and close enough for me to call it such.

2 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

I think a "Grail" watch concept is fabulous for experienced watch enthusiasts but can't help thinking its a rather dangerous concept for rookies.... or the casual collector. 

If you think about it the grail was sought after but never obtained - on that basis maybe the Omega Seamaster GMT I bought wasn't a grail :hmmm9uh:

And my grail was, and still is. an Audermars Piguet Royal Oak - sought after but out of reach

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoT said:

If you think about it the grail was sought after but never obtained - on that basis maybe the Omega Seamaster GMT I bought wasn't a grail :hmmm9uh:

And my grail was, and still is. an Audermars Piguet Royal Oak - sought after but out of reach

Yes !! ..  I guess you have perfectly framed how it should be to avoid spending many thousands of pounds and perhaps flipping at a loss .... sought after but out of reach is a splendid turn of phrase and I shall spend the next couple of hours seeing if I can come up with one ..... god I love this forum ....:character0275: