• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Do you recall your first grail!

Mine was a TechnoMarine. Growing up in the 90s they popularized the trendy Swiss made chronograph. I heard about them in the rap music of the era. It was basically the entry level Swiss made watch brand offering modern sizes and mostly chronographs, which is where my love of chronos comes from. I remember a friend of mine in school had an uncle that had one and he would brag about it every day for weeks.

• Like 2

First: JLC Reverso. Never bought it.

Second: CvdK Ariadne. Never bought it.

Third: VC Overseas Blue Dial. Yeah, right! :laughing2dw:

Then I began to shape my expectations a little better. And a couple of inheritances helped.

Fourth: Cartier Tank. On the winder right now.

Fifth: Speedmaster Moonwatch. On the wrist as I type.

The recently acquired Ulysse Nardin was a back-burner grail that came as a surprise when one became available pre-owned; right place, right time, right price. New equivalent is outside the comfort zone.

i’m trying not to have any grails that I can’t afford nowadays, but it’s hard.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AVO said:

First: JLC Reverso. Never bought it.

It's amazing how drastic our tastes not only are but clearly have always been. Yet in your collection are at least 6 I can recall thinking were totally something I respect and might own myself.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

It's amazing how drastic our tastes not only are but clearly have always been.

Probably what keeps the watch industry going! And wouldn’t it be dreadful if we all liked and wore the same things all the time?

I remember commenting on another forum that one member had “my favourite ever collection of watches I wouldn’t want to own“. 

When I see watches posted on here, especially the larger and heavier creations, I can respect why their owners enjoy them but I know that I could never bring myself to wear most of them.

And I completely understand that other people might feel similarly about my collection. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AVO said:

Probably what keeps the watch industry going! And wouldn’t it be dreadful if we all liked and wore the same things all the time?

I remember commenting on another forum that one member had “my favourite ever collection of watches I wouldn’t want to own“. 

When I see watches posted on here, especially the larger and heavier creations, I can respect why their owners enjoy them but I know that I could never bring myself to wear most of them.

And I completely understand that other people might feel similarly about my collection. 

I don't know, I don't think it would bother me at all that everyone else shared my taste. It would mean less work to find what I desire. It would mean more people to discuss a common passion and alike thoughts. Yeah, no so sure about that. But of course, different strokes for different folks always applies.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JayDeep said:

I don't know, I don't think it would bother me at all that everyone else shared my taste.

Again, that’s a difference. Although my tastes are relatively conservative in terms of size, style and colour, I still like to find things that few other people are likely to be wearing. The obvious exception in my case being the Moonwatch.

• Like 2

Was always a datejust for me, don't know the origins of my obsession or why that particular watch, but it was always my Grail and for many years one I never thought would be obtainable.

I was fortunate enough to buy one, preowned for my birth year, earlier this year.

• Like 3

It was a Texas Instruments LCD watch black plastic ...very 70's i was 8 years old...got it the following Christmas my poor sprite went into the draw only to come out when the TI's battery failed.........the next grail was looming on the horizon aged about 12 or 13 i fell in love with the Rolex Submariner and a black Fender Precision with a rosewood neck and mirrored scratch plate!... i got the Fender a lot sooner than the Rolex

• Like 3

First grail - Oris Aquis (never bought one yet)

Second grail - Longines Legend Diver (never had one)

Third grail - Longines Hydroconquest (had one of these)

My current grail - Zenith Rainbow Flyback (never get to own one)

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mrzee said:

First grail - Oris Aquis (never bought one yet)

Second grail - Longines Legend Diver (never had one)

Third grail - Longines Hydroconquest (had one of these)

My current grail - Zenith Rainbow Flyback (never get to own one)

I really like the look of those and the Oris 65 Diver.

Next time I can stretch to a bigger purchase, it has to be one of those two.

• Like 4

Sorry for the very predictable reply...

Rolex Submariner (No Date)

I bought an Air King instead, not because of the price, I like the quirky looks of the Air King. I still appreciate the heritage, and look of the Submariner, but there are no Rolex watches on my grail list now.

There's more to the watch industry, and horology than Rolex, but when I started out collecting I knew no better. That's not a dig at Rolex, I just understand that my lack of knowledge when I started collecting made me a little blinkered.

• Like 3

tag heueuuuerreuuurre 2000 blue dial on steel ... ended up with the bimetal i still own - by the time i had the funds i was also hitched and the gold'esqe bezel and centre links went better with the wedding chains band. 

up to that point i wore the forbearers of the current casio waveceptor for work and a timex expedition for not work.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Sorry for the very predictable reply...

Rolex Submariner (No Date)

I bought an Air King instead, not because of the price, I like the quirky looks of the Air King. I still appreciate the heritage, and look of the Submariner, but there are no Rolex watches on my grail list now.

There's more to the watch industry, and horology than Rolex, but when I started out collecting I knew no better. That's not a dig at Rolex, I just understand that my lack of knowledge when I started collecting made me a little blinkered.

Interesting and I think true for so many beginning their interest in horology. The Sub has almost become the default choice for many who may not be 'into' watches, or at least aren't that knowledgeable (yet), but crave what is generally perceived to be 'the best' watch.  It's testament to long-term branding and advertising as much as the watch itself - a bit like choosing a BMW M3 or Golf GTi; great cars, but so common they are almost a uniform to wear for those who may be inclined to put practically no thought whatsoever into their purchase decision.

That divers are by far and away the most popular style of watch atm is in no small part due to the deified status of the Sub and clearly reflected by the incredible stream of competitor dive watch releases of late.

I can honestly say I've never had a grail as such.  I'm amazed by how my tastes have changed over the years and that has played a big part.  Plus I often 'go off' a watch having initially liked it alot.  I've been more than content to enjoy the ones I've liked enough to keep long-term. Luckily limited finances have prevented me from flipping as much as I otherwise would have. :laughing2dw:

Having said all that, I wish I'd bought 10 Subs 30 years ago... Does that count as a grail choice? :laugh::laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strange concept, "grail".

A grail is (by definition, there can have been only one holy grail) just one model. But, it's just a watch, if maybe one which is very attractive but either too expensive or just damned difficult to find.

If there is one certainty I have learned about this ludicrous hobby, it is that one's tastes will change over time  --  so today's grail could become tomorrow's flipper. That should encourage the collector to treat "grailhood" like triumph and disaster (see Kipling's "If").

I now have a list of half a dozen watches that I'd quite like to own, rather than a single grail. I keep my little list updated because I have found that patience, and a good contact network, can occasionally make the seemingly difficult possible  --  meaning that I now own several from earlier lists.

Just my tuppence.

• Like 2

My first grail watch was a planned retirement present to myself. When I started looking, and this was before I crossed the line from watch liker to watch nut, I didn't really set out with any style or brand in mind. Then I saw the orange bezel PO and that was that and for all I know I might have first seen the earlier, smaller and lighter version, but this is what I got - and then I had to start all over again!. My list of grails now would require a top level lottery or premium bond win, or to sell my house in the UK, that might get me one of them. 

IMG-0077.jpg

• Like 2

At 16 it was a Rotary from Argos, as it was more than I could sensibly afford.

At 20 it was a TAG Heuer 4000, which was more than I should have spent.

At 25 it was a Bond Seamaster.  I stretched the budget to get that.

At 26 it was an IWC Fleigerchrono.  It was worth 4 times more than my car.

No I have accepted that my favourite watch is the next one.  I have done the 5 figure complicated Patek Philippe, but it never sat comfortably with me.  Will I ever get a AP Royal Oak from 1974?  I seriously doubt it, so let's call that the grail now.

• Like 3

Not and never have been a prolific buyer but years ago i got myself a TAG, i was thinking about it for ages and decided to go for it.

After that there was nothing specific i had my beady eye on, if it was time to buy a new watch and i saw one i liked  i bought it.

Edited by sabailand
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yokel said:

Strange concept, "grail".

A grail is (by definition, there can have been only one holy grail) just one model.

Indeed, but I'm an odd duck as my father would say. Like with all things I'm passionate about, I have many favorites and grails. It really annoys my fiance when I'm constantly telling her that every other song I play for her in the car is my favorite, and every other movie I show her as well. It's just who I am. So, with watches it's much the same. As I grew older and got more into watches and made more income, my idea of what should be a grail changed, however I never considered the previous grail no longer a grail. They still were to me.

In fact, I currently own several "grails" from my lifetime. Others most likely wouldn't consider so. Like my Speedmaster Reduced. I'm sure most would consider the Reduced as they red headed step child of the Speedmaster lineup. But my Speedmaster grail wasn't any specific Speedmaster, it was just simply in owning a Speedmaster. So I did my research and I concluded that I'd much rather have an automatic than a manual and there were only a couple to choose from. One could be had for less than half the cost of the other and wasn't as chunky so I could wear it with suits and jeans, so red headed step child it was for me! Thus I achieved obtaining a grail!

Similarly with my fully engraved Victorinox Maverick. I've always had a fully engraved watch as a grail, but the watch itself was of little to no concern to me at all. Where as with others I'm sure that part matters more, my focus is on the engraving, not the watch. I only wanted it to be an auto and Swiss made. Boom, grail achieved!

Anonimo! The first brand I remember being blown away by their cool and unique designs. When I first really started getting into watches I was about 22. I would go to WUS website and use their alphabetical brands listing to search everything, daily. And all I recall from all of that was Anonimo. I searched A-Z weekly for months, but Anonimo stuck out to me most! I loved that funky 12 or 6 o'clock crown position with their unique crown locking function. Just the coolest things, like a bullhead but not. So a new grail was born. Sadly they sold out to some company that's now basically like Invicta, but their designs are still true to heart, so I bought one with an awesome dial and voila, grail obtained again!

I could go on because I currently have what I consider to be about 10-12 grails. But I think you get what I'm saying by now. If you have a different word for what I'm calling grail I'd love to hear it, but that's what I'm calling them for now.

Edited by JayDeep
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JayDeep said:

If you have a different word for what I'm calling grail I'd love to hear it, but that's what I'm calling them for now.

"Object of irrational, and inevitably transient, lust"?

• Haha 2

hi jay

i thought i had a grail 10 watches ago which i still have all some 5 years later, i found the journey to get those 10 watches re defined what i thought a grail watch was. my desire to own the best watch's i could afford at the time which  lead me to the one i thought would never own at the start, however i have been on the hunt for a final watch that will not be a grail but i consider a  defining watch due to retirement and end of funding for watches  for the past 16 months,

is a grail watch not just defined like the only "one true grail " in its not available to mere mortals (you know which watches i mean:biggrin:) and will never be affordable , so may be another name might be " unobtanium":biggrin:

deano

• Like 2