• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Strange issue with an Automatic

Not sure if anyone has come across this sort of problem before.

I have an Automatic, one of the few in my collection I purchased new from a retailer so I could go back to them if necessary.

The problem I have is that whilst it runs fne (and seems to wind itself) when worn, when left on the winder for a couple of days, it keeps stopping. Not got a problem with any of the other watches on the winder, and it is not a faulty rotor on the winder (I've sat there like an idiot waiting to see that it does turn every so often and for as long as the other rotors).

Any ideas other than 'send it back to the shop' as I really like the watch and if it is just something silly (like not all automatic's like being on a winder) then I'll either get it sorted or live with it.

:huh:

Should have mentioned, when running it is keeping good time and seems to function completely normally, if I wear it every 2nd day or so, no problems or stopping at all.

It just doesn't seem to keep going when left exclusively on the winder.

whats the movement in the offending watch ?

perhaps it only winds one way - perhaps your winder winds the other way or you could reverse the watch in the winder ... just a thought. 

Edited by Rotundus
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Rotundus said:

whats the movement in the offending watch ?

perhaps it only winds one way - perhaps your winder winds the other way or you could reverse the watch in the winder ... just a thought. 

Sellita SW200-1

Winder is set to Cary Grant mode (goes both ways)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bonzodog said:

My autos are on winders,they don’t stop working.How many turns is the winder making over 24 hrs.

It is set to 1,950 per day, everything else in the box keeps on ticking.

I'm going to have to return it aren't I :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bricey said:

It is set to 1,950 per day, everything else in the box keeps on ticking.

If it has a way to turn it backwards and look through the case.. do it and look. 

It could be an angle issue stopping it turning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

If it has a way to turn it backwards and look through the case.. do it and look. 

It could be an angle issue stopping it turning.

Display back on the watch, the rotor initially follows gravity as I turn it in my hand, occasionally smoothly, occasionally stopping then dropping (sure there is a better way to describe that), then after a couple of turns it just sticks in position and stays there as I turn and turn, until I give it a little shake and it swings back down and then carries on as it did at the begining.

So its the rotor in the watch sticking that is causing the problem, and presumably the smooth turning of the winder doesn't dislodge it when it becomes 'stuck' where as normal wear invariably means the odd quick or sharp movement or sudden stop that frees it up again.

So.....send back or risk f#%£&ng it up by opening up and taking a look (for reference, I am a risk averse kind of guy, but conversely don't really want the hassle of a return if it then turns out to be a pain or out of stock, as I like the watch a lot).

I'm guessing this is a no-no :laughing2dw:

wd-40-multifunktions%C3%B6l-400-ml-dose.

9 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

STOP RIGHT THERE!

Now that you have shown the dreaded can of WD-40 there is nothing to do but return the watch as soon as possible and get your money back.:)

I could wash off the WD-40 with some soapy water????

• Haha 1

So I emailed H S Johnson explaining the problem, and had a reply within 6 minutes apologising and giving me the details to return the watch for them to "resolve the problem".

I replied to confirm whether I needed to return everything or just the watch and it took them just 3 minutes to reply that just the watch is fine as long as there is something there to identify it/me.

Will post tomorrow, but thus far, customer service has been very good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bricey said:

Would I be correct in assuming that if you didn't have a winder, and wore it as a normal human being, you would be oblivious to this "problem" ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Would I be correct in assuming that if you didn't have a winder, and wore it as a normal human being, you would be oblivious to this "problem" ?

I suspect that you would be absolutely correct in that assumption, although far from it in any scenario whereby you thought me to be anything even remotely close to being a "normal person".

9 minutes ago, Bricey said:

I suspect that you would be absolutely correct in that assumption, although far from it in any scenario whereby you thought me to be anything even remotely close to being a "normal person".

I'd better go and buy a winder to find out if any of my automatics that operate to perfection, now have a problem. :bash:  what a trachle.

I would call it a non issue, personally. But I've never seen the point of winders anyway. You said yourself, works fine when worn. Keep it off the pointless winder, wind it when you wear it and move on. Nothing wrong with the watch as far as I'm concerned. It takes 30 seconds to manually shake/wind a watch then set the time.

26 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I'd better go and buy a winder to find out if any of my automatics that operate to perfection, now have a problem. :bash:  what a trachle.

I'm Scottish and even I had to look that word up.

Perhaps its an indication that something might be going to go wrong in the future. Surely a watch should charge on a winder as good as it charges on a wrist. I would send it back too. 

50 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Thats fair, but if your car drove fine if you used it every day but had a battery that ran down if it was left parked up for 2 days, would you replace the faulty battery or just make sure you drove it every day (even if you had no where you needed to go)?

21 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

I would send it back too. 

So would I, and have a full diagnostic check done on the winder, followed up by a check on the electricity supply just in case low voltage and voltage spikes are affecting the winder. Then there's the gravitational pull of the moon. Incidentally, I have a "premium" Citizen auto that does the same , and has done since new. I don't have a winder, but I noticed the rotor did require a bit more of a shoogle than the norm to get it moving, so I tried it on a friends winder, and as I suspected, it didn't wind it. Don't you just hate these first world problems ? Apologies if I sound a bit contramacious.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

So would I, and have a full diagnostic check done on the winder, followed up by a check on the electricity supply just in case low voltage and voltage spikes are affecting the winder. Then there's the gravitational pull of the moon. Incidentally, I have a "premium" Citizen auto that does the same , and has done since new. I don't have a winder, but I noticed the rotor did require a bit more of a shoogle than the norm to get it moving, so I tried it on a friends winder, and as I suspected, it didn't wind it. Don't you just hate these first world problems ? Apologies if I sound a bit contramacious.

I will only accept your apology after I have found the time to google "contramacious".

Back in a mo.

13 minutes ago, Bricey said:

would you replace the faulty battery or just make sure you drove it every day (even if you had no where you needed to go)?

Assuming it has a manual gearbox, I'd park it on a steep hill so I could bump start it. :laughing2dw: