• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Strange issue with an Automatic

I think you need to establish if its the watch or the winder before you go to the bother or returning the watch.

If you put the watch in the winder and then the winder in the tumble dryer (got to be on a cool setting similar to room temp to be a fair test)

then if the watch is working after its been tumbled then you will know it was the winder that was at fault. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, relaxer7 said:

Just send it back Bricey. If the next one does a wobbler then the winder is your culprit. By the way, what watch is it? 

It's the Eterna I recently purchased.

The winders fine, it has 6 rotors, no problems with the other 5 watches and I've alternated which watch is on with winder.

15 minutes ago, Bricey said:

It's the Eterna I recently purchased.

The winders fine, it has 6 rotors, no problems with the other 5 watches and I've alternated which watch is on with winder.

If the watch has a display case back see if you can safely attach it to the winder back facing out, and see what the rotor is doing. I'd do it along with one that is functioning properly and see if there is any difference in the rotor movement.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

If the watch has a display case back see if you can safely attach it to the winder back facing out, and see what the rotor is doing. I'd do it along with one that is functioning properly and see if there is any difference in the rotor movement.

Wish I'd thought of that it is genius in its simplicity.

I did (at another posters suggestion) view it from the back and turn it over slowly a little like the winder would, and as I said before intermittently the rotor in the back would catch and stick and stay that way unless you gave it a bit of a shake.

I figure on the wrist the random movements and particularly the odd sharp movement (like dodging a nerf bullet, or clipping a 9 year old ear because you didn't dodge quick enough, for example) dislodge the rotor, whilst the slow smooth movement of the winder doesn't.

I could stick a nerf target on the winder and potentially catch two birds with one plastic firearm.

Edited by Bricey
Typo

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

If the watch has a display case back see if you can safely attach it to the winder back facing out, and see what the rotor is doing. I'd do it along with one that is functioning properly and see if there is any difference in the rotor 

:crazy5vh:

• 2 months later...

So I did send the watch back to HS Johnson, who in turn sent it on to Eterna (so they tell me) who have said they will repair and fully service the brand new watch.

HS Johson received it from me on the 4th May. I've chased it up 4-5 times since and keeping getting told that covid/brexit mean everything is going slower than usual.

Is 2 full months (so far) to repair a faulty but brand new watch fair enough or should I start getting a bit peeved by this point?

About ready to request a refund to be honest.

1 hour ago, Bricey said:

So I did send the watch back to HS Johnson, who in turn sent it on to Eterna (so they tell me) who have said they will repair and fully service the brand new watch.

HS Johson received it from me on the 4th May. I've chased it up 4-5 times since and keeping getting told that covid/brexit mean everything is going slower than usual.

Is 2 full months (so far) to repair a faulty but brand new watch fair enough or should I start getting a bit peeved by this point?

About ready to request a refund to be honest.

Even with complications around Covid, I think 2 months is plenty of time to carry out a repair & full service - Demand a refund - That should get them moving ...

On 29/04/2021 at 18:17, WRENCH said:

Assuming it has a manual gearbox, I'd park it on a steep hill so I could bump start it. :laughing2dw:

Wrench, while you have lots of lovely not so wee mountains up there, I think Bricey lives in the Fens or  Norfolkland where they measure the road gradient with a spirit level. Mind you he has an army of elves to give his car a good shove.

Edited by chas g
Missing words
  • Haha 1

Interesting - I've got my Spinnaker Tesei away for warranty repair too. 2 months too, last info was they were still waiting for a replacement SW200 to fit. Bit of a run on them you think? I guess they've been shifting a lot more units with the ETA movements drying up and all the warranty repairs are starting to come in?....

• 2 weeks later...

Today just keeps on giving!

My Funky mobility scooter arrived this afternoon, which will make tomorrow at the zoo (obviously NOT the Safari section :laughing2dw:) a much easier day for me.

The HS Johnson emailed to say the Eterna is back and they are posting it out to me today!

Woo Double Hoo!

13 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Today just keeps on giving!

My Funky mobility scooter arrived this afternoon, which will make tomorrow at the zoo (obviously NOT the Safari section :laughing2dw:) a much easier day for me.

The HS Johnson emailed to say the Eterna is back and they are posting it out to me today!

Woo Double Hoo!

Pics please:thumbsup: - when do you have the hip replacement? will you need the scooter after that?

Just now, wrenny1969 said:

Pics please:thumbsup: - when do you have the hip replacement? will you need the scooter after that?

Maybe for a little while during recuperation, and it might be handy for days out to theme parks with the kids where you end up walking a surprisingly long way and on your feet all day, but really it's for this summer then I'd hope to be getting back to something closer to "normal".

I had one after my accident, but they are not exactly small to store, and as you can imagine, a family of 10 does tend to fill all available space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Maybe for a little while during recuperation, and it might be handy for days out to theme parks with the kids where you end up walking a surprisingly long way and on your feet all day, but really it's for this summer then I'd hope to be getting back to something closer to "normal".

I had one after my accident, but they are not exactly small to store, and as you can imagine, a family of 10 does tend to fill all available space.

I hope it all goes well. I did a finite element stress analysis of a Muller hip joint 40 years ago. I only mention that so that if you have problems I can tell you how to beef it up in the right places. :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1