• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tips for setting the centre second hand?

Tom-HK

Question

I have swapped an SII VD53B for a VD53C and am trying to replace the hands. Mostly they're going on fine, but the centre second hand is being an absolute bugger. It just will not go on.

What are your tips and tricks for setting the centre second hand? Or does the VD53C require a different size second hand compared to the VD53B?

3 answers to this question

I believe I have identified the problem. It seems the tip of the fourth wheel broke off the old movement when the second hand was removed, and remained lodged in the hole of the second hand. It will not, therefore, sit on the fourth wheel of the new movement.

I have tried dislodging the obstruction from the other side with a pin, but it seems well and truly lodged, so I suppose I shall just have to buy another second hand. That's a bit of a shame as they don't seem to make them in the same style as the current one, but at least I am learning with every watch I break.

New problem: I cannot seem to find centre second hands with the requisite tube length. All the online sources that I find give a shortest tube length of 0.70mm, whilst the technical documents for the VD53C suggest a tube length of 0.45mm (I think).

I  looking for a counterweighted centre second hand in stainless steel with a length of about 13 or 14mm from the hole to the tip and a hole size of about 0.21mm. There appear to be some options with 0.70mm tube lengths, but I think these are going to be way too long.

Any ideas?

Okay, I am an idiot. Upon a closer reading of the technical documents I see that the movement can take a maximum post height of 0.69mm for the centre second hand, and that it needs a 20mm hole size (as the previous, very helpful poster had tried to tell me), not 21mm. There are, therefore, several suitable options from Cousins.

(I will still keep poking at the current second hand for a bit, though, just in case I can dislodge the broken bit)