• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Total beginner to clock repairs

Hello everyone I hope you are all well,my names steve and I want to start from the beginning repairing clocks the mechanisms fascinate me I liked them as a kid but never dreamed of going inside one,there was no internet then and advice was non existent lol, I have just ordered a set of spring clamps and some legs to support the mechanism while I’m looking at the clock,before I start spending money on products nievely,to start my journey,I would rather  listen to advice and tips from the very beginning,other than the 2 parts of the toolkit I’ve stated I’ve bought nothing more and any advice on sensibly building a startup tool kit would be much appreciated,I have been watching videos on YouTube,watching various,repair videos,how to repair a broken tooth and starting to learn the fundamental workings,is there a clock that would be best to start out with for repair that’s a good building block,is my approach to achieving this right,am I being nieve these are questions I’m asking myself at this moment in time,thanks for reading guys and girls,and any advice on tools,getting started,dos and donts,anything at all will be gratefully recieved,and hopefully get off to a sensible start with some structure,

kind reguards

steve

• 1 month later...

Hi Hobbyist 

sorry for late reply but for a beginner you’re best bet is to get a cheap single train clock something like a Smiths and if you google open clock club you can watch for free on zoom and ask questions ( how to repair pendulum clocks ) hope this helps Dell