• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How about a £10 watch challenge

The £100 and £200 watch challenges have been done, can you find a new watch for £10 or less that whilst you know is going to be a rubbish watch, actually manages to not look completely rubbish.

The challenge, to find a sub £10 watch that (assuming it hold together for the duration) could probably sit on your wrist without any non-watch people pointing and saying wtf is that? :laugh:

I reckon I could wear this for a day and tell my wife and kids, and probably half of the people I come in to contact with during an average day, it cost me £150 and get away with it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-Military-Mens-Date-Stainless-Steel-Leather-Analog-Quartz-Wrist-Watches-/282649816633?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Assuming I didn't have to let them handle it and the hands fell off the dial.

I am 99% certain I could carry the con out with this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Leather-Wrist-Watch-Watches-Analogue-Quartz-Fashion-Gift-Black-Brown-/124531264092?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

...Or this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Luxury-Business-Wristwatches-Quartz-Watch-Genuine-Leather-Strap-Watches-/233908956323?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

I'm actually considering buying all three, telling my three teenage girls that they cost me 'quite a bit' but that I 'wanted them to get their inheritance early just to see which of them try and pawn it and their faces when they are offered 11p :evil9kf:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This, and it's not rubbish. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QK2BQ9K/ref=twister_B08P8RB1XR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

INCOMING!!! My bargain pocket watch has just arrived, its shiny: Not huge, about 45mm diameter: The movement looks pretty damn pretty imo: Front and back panels p

Disqualified: Rules said it had to be rubbish!   Ironically it was your "confession" post more than the various "challenge" posts that inspired me to wonder "how low could one go and still

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Disqualified: Rules said it had to be rubbish!

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

Ironically it was your "confession" post more than the various "challenge" posts that inspired me to wonder "how low could one go and still look the part to a non watch lover?"

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

5 of these..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073WDQD9G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_6V1SVZWT251GVEX3XAKY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Well.. 4 of them and £1 for lollipops and crisps.

Hahaha read its description!

Bit disappointed it's not included in prime so I can have it tomorrow!

I could pretend it's a uniform wares 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTS-ROSE-GOLD-WATCH-WITH-A-BROWN-FAUX-LEATHER-STRAP-/333903321790?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

• Haha 2

I'm tempted to click "buy now"

You can have 18 of these..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071G1231L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_CVZYY47N0BQS2P1AEX56?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These ones are 1p

Thats correct.. 1p

You can have 1000 of them for £10 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07DHGDFD6/ref=psdcmw_10103538031_t3_B071G1231L

Plus the £4000 postage but thats just extra details..

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I can't beat those linked above for style and outward visual appearance, but I do know that this one works well.  I've had it almost 3 years and it cost me £7.  It owes me nothing.

I bought it when out one day and the battery died in the Raymond Weil I was wearing and as I really hate being out and about without a watch and as we were sat at traffic lights outside an Argos store, we bobbed in and bought the cheapest watch in the catalogue that they had in stock.  I've used it as my gardening and dirty job watch ever since.  As I've been trimming ivy today, I am genuinely wearing it today.  

I increased the value of it by changing the faux leather strap for a basic bracelet very recently and it's on its second new battery.  

Constant_sm.jpg

• Like 2

Nope no such watch, because while they might not look like finish in online photos, I guarantee you they will in person. And yes, all digital watches look like rubbish. Blasphemous hunks of plastic and and liquid display.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, WRENCH said:

19 hours ago, Bricey said:

Disqualified: Rules said it had to be rubbish!

First watch I thought of for this challenge. To be entirely fair it is in many ways rubbish - it's tiny, unashamedly cheap and as plastic as they come. However WIS people will know exactly what it is and nod knowingly because it's "iconic", and non watch people will still know roughly what it is and not care.

p?i=b7406d3c67d2a76687bc86789234c152

• Agree 1
34 minutes ago, Perlative Cernometer said:

First watch I thought of for this challenge. To be entirely fair it is in many ways rubbish - it's tiny, unashamedly cheap and as plastic as they come. However WIS people will know exactly what it is and nod knowingly because it's "iconic", and non watch people will still know roughly what it is and not care.

p?i=b7406d3c67d2a76687bc86789234c152

Thats because most of us are old enough to have lived through getting one of them for Xmas when we were 10.

Iconic.. maybe.. nostalgic.. probably. Small, plastic & cheap.. definitely. 

• Agree 1

When I think about it.. im wearing mine. About £6 for watch and delivery, (no strap.. ebay) and I bought 3 shark mesh bracelets at around £10 but had to wait a month for delivery (free) from China & £1.99 for a packet of about 50 batteries... so 2p

large.20210421_104405.jpg.ac9a09c37e8c8f857d38d30491dc16f6.jpg

Its a bit plain with a little twist from strap type but.. yeah.. £10.. (ish)

• Like 1

It'd be a Casio F91, probably a baby-blue one :biggrin:

Mind you, the black is a classic. If it was good enough for Osama Bin Laden it's good enough for me. :wink:

Otherwise, maybe one of those Eaglemoss military collection watches from the magazine. Absolutely crap Chinese movements but to be honest I really like some of them. :cool:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BooJewels said:

Some of us simply don't have deep enough pockets to be watch snobs.

And some of us have the common sense to realise that if you need something to remind you to do something of great importance at a curtain time every day, a £10 Casio with an alarm is perfect for the job. :yes:  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

these ones are 1p

That's correct.. 1p

You can have 1000 of them for £10 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07DHGDFD6/ref=psdcmw_10103538031_t3_B071G1231L

I have a confession to make...

I bought the black dial, black leather strap version for my Dad two years ago. I bet him I could buy him a new watch for less than putting a new battery in his old watch.

1p plus delivery which was around £3.49 ish

In fairness that watch wasn't too bad for the money.

9 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I have a confession to make...

I bought the black dial, black leather strap version for my Dad two years ago. I bet him I could buy him a new watch for less than putting a new battery in his old watch.

1p plus delivery which was around £3.49 ish

In fairness that watch wasn't too bad for the money.

A challenge is a challenge :thumbsup:

I do this sort of thing for friends and neighbours all the time.  Pick a watch from the bay, slap a strap on it and pass it on for free. 

People appreciate a free watch, they are becoming that least remembered choice for gifts and there are lots of people that don't own a watch.

Edited by SolaVeritate
  • Agree 1
21 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

Thousands of emergency services and armed forces personnel  rock up for work every day sporting a sub 10 quid Casio F91W

You can buy a stainless steel one for £20 these days.

• Like 1

In Singapore there were loads of these 3 for S$10 market stalls. 

Three watches for ten sing bucks which at the time was about £3, wear them until the battery went then bin them. 

Big M bought bag loads of them. She still has some that she liked and just got new batteries and they work fine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbxkDOmF-nPHzJ8WNmC9S

For the under a tenner challenge I have this one. 

nfd.jpg

nfd.jpg

Bearing in mind at the time it was about 3 sing $ to the pound making this about £7 odds

:)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JayDeep said:

It's amazing to me how low so many of your standards are. Just disappointing really. Everything posted here is rubbish!

It is disappointing that no one has yet found a quality Swiss automatic for under a tenner :laughing2dw: