• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How about a £10 watch challenge

38 minutes ago, Bricey said:

It is disappointing that no one has yet found a quality Swiss automatic for under a tenner :laughing2dw:

Will a Japanese Automatic do?  I thought the challenge was for a new watch - but I got this one from the bay in a job lot from a trader in vintage items and kept 3 watches and sold the rest again.  This particular one was a gem, it's effectively brand new - clean, not a mark on it, no signs of wear, bracelet with the original number of 'as sold' links.  It looks exactly the same as one I have that's genuine with box, papers and guarantee, so I'm pretty certain that it's genuine.  Cost me £3.27 including postage.  Made in July 1993.

Seiko5_0534df.jpg

This from another lot from a private seller.  Swiss quartz this time, but was originally about £150 when new.  I paid £4.03 - including postage.  I wear it often as it's a nice fit on the wrist, as it has a tapered case and lugs.  And who doesn't like a jewelled nut for a crown.

KlausKobec_sm.jpg

I also paid exactly £10 for this, including postage, but it's beyond repair, so maybe doesn't count.  I knew it was for spares when I bought it, but worth a punt.  And worth a tenner to me that I can say I own an Oris and for the day I wore it to see if I liked it enough to spend money on it.  It's very pretty - I love the numerals.

orisvintage_0612df_sm.jpg

@JayDeep - perhaps instead of insulting other posters, you could rise to the challenge yourself and find something better then.  The fact that you personally don't like something doesn't automatically make it rubbish.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This, and it's not rubbish. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QK2BQ9K/ref=twister_B08P8RB1XR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

INCOMING!!! My bargain pocket watch has just arrived, its shiny: Not huge, about 45mm diameter: The movement looks pretty damn pretty imo: Front and back panels p

Disqualified: Rules said it had to be rubbish!   Ironically it was your "confession" post more than the various "challenge" posts that inspired me to wonder "how low could one go and still

Posted Images

2 years ago I actually bought up about 150 watches that cost me around £5 each, plus a couple of big display boxes for them and gave them to the primary school my kids go (and have gone) to.

The head teacher sets all kids a challenge to learn how to read an analogue watch, when they pass her test they get to chose a watch from the box in the assembley. I even put a few digital in so that kids with learning difficulties would be included. 

I like to think I'm doing my bit to keep a few kids away from smart watches and Foster a little interest with future generations with traditional watches.

The boxes probably need a top up soon, so this thread might inadvertently be helpful!

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Sulie said:

I got this one when they where 9.99

JPYbIRl.jpg

and this ones the same prise in Argos atm :whistle:

0WCPCar.jpg

I have used one of these in the gym for years. Lost the first one so got another. I mainly use it to time my rest periods during my workout - as a stopwatch. Like most of these digital watches I can never work out which button to press, and in which combination, to change the time so for half the year it's an hour out :) 

12 hours ago, Sulie said:

I got this one when they where 9.99

JPYbIRl.jpg

and this ones the same prise in Argos atm :whistle:

0WCPCar.jpg

I have used one of these in the gym for years. Lost the first one so got another. I mainly use it to time my rest periods during my workout - as a stopwatch. Like most of these digital watches I can never work out which button to press, and in which combination, to change the time so for half the year it's an hour out :) 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Eddiex said:

If you number the watches in your mind, starting top right as number 1 and then 2,3,4 in a clockwise manner, then in order to move forward one hour you just need to press 1,,4,3,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,2,1,3,4,2,1,3,3,2,4,1,3,2,1. and then hold down buttons 2 and 4 simultaneously whilst hopping on one foot.

It is now an hour later and you have started a nuclear attack on South Korea.

Glad I could help.

• Haha 3
53 minutes ago, Bricey said:

If you number the watches in your mind, starting top right as number 1 and then 2,3,4 in a clockwise manner, then in order to move forward one hour you just need to press 1,,4,3,2,1,2,1,2,3,4,2,1,3,4,2,1,3,3,2,4,1,3,2,1. and then hold down buttons 2 and 4 simultaneously whilst hopping on one foot.

It is now an hour later and you have started a nuclear attack on South Korea.

Glad I could help.

So.. THATS what "with hacking" means.

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

Ok.. this just might be the winner.

Yisuya mechanical hand winding double hunter pocket watch with chain. £8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mechanical-Engraved-Numerals-Skeleton-Watches/dp/B07TC5618Q/

I think you win, that looks awesome for the price, a brand new, funky looking timepiece being sold for less than its scrap value. It is a mad world.

And includes free next day delivery on Prime!

F#(< it! I've ordered one. Will report back.

If nothing else, I might be able to hypnotise one of the kids and get them to empty the dishwasher.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, JayDeep said:

It's amazing to me how low so many of your standards are. Just disappointing really. Everything posted here is rubbish!

I don’t have any standards :laughing2dw:

I also don’t have any £10 watches either :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

INCOMING!!!

My bargain pocket watch has just arrived, its shiny:

20210504_133133.thumb.jpg.c1fd66d727910002262548214dd2a3cf.jpg

Not huge, about 45mm diameter:

20210504_133151.thumb.jpg.9ddbee34d404d6c8955fe4ddcdc64bec.jpg

The movement looks pretty damn pretty imo:

20210504_133226.thumb.jpg.ce9f74db25074b547bf5ae678a648344.jpg

Front and back panels pop open nicely with the crown push, winds nice and smooth and that second hand sweeps lovely:

20210504_133240.thumb.jpg.78ab19510d5c5d8609457fb29534d208.jpg

We live in a truly mad world, because the £7.99 this cost is insane, it is a perfectly functional, pretty attractive, beautifully nostalgic feat of engineering.

20210504_133541.thumb.jpg.dccdf26411616238327530434235aa6d.jpg

And 35 minutes in, seems to be keeping very good time (not the biggest test, timing a minute on a stop watch is out by less than my reaction time, 0.07 seconds!)

The only bad news about this is, it appears I got the last one as it is no longer available!

:laughing2dw:

20210504_133541.jpg

• Like 4
43 minutes ago, Bricey said:

We live in a truly mad world, because the £7.99 this cost is insane, it is a perfectly functional, pretty attractive, beautifully nostalgic feat of engineering.

Amazing value, well played that man for getting the last one :thumbsup:   I would have ordered one myself at that price if they had them in stock, just for a laugh.

• Like 1
Just now, Davey P said:

Amazing value, well played that man for getting the last one :thumbsup:   I would have ordered one myself at that price if they had them in stock, just for a laugh.

It was bought very much for "just a laugh", I figured I'd give it to my 9 yo, Felix, as he was interested in the two old pocket watches I'm playing with for my father in law. But I don't know it I want to give it away and it end up in the bottom of him toy drawers, I think a desk clock, as suggested is the best bet for it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bricey said:

INCOMING!!!

My bargain pocket watch has just arrived, its shiny:

20210504_133133.thumb.jpg.c1fd66d727910002262548214dd2a3cf.jpg

Not huge, about 45mm diameter:

20210504_133151.thumb.jpg.9ddbee34d404d6c8955fe4ddcdc64bec.jpg

The movement looks pretty damn pretty imo:

20210504_133226.thumb.jpg.ce9f74db25074b547bf5ae678a648344.jpg

Front and back panels pop open nicely with the crown push, winds nice and smooth and that second hand sweeps lovely:

20210504_133240.thumb.jpg.78ab19510d5c5d8609457fb29534d208.jpg

20210504_133541.thumb.jpg.dccdf26411616238327530434235aa6d.jpg

And 35 minutes in, seems to be keeping very good time (not the biggest test, timing a minute on a stop watch is out by less than my reaction time, 0.07 seconds!)

The only bad news about this is, it appears I got the last one as it is no longer available!

:laughing2dw:

20210504_133541.jpg

Wow. That looks pretty cool for £8. 

Well done as Davy said.. I honestly would have nabbed it for myself but I'm after a different kind of pocket thing (I nearly got it too from ebay but the one I got was goosed).

You are correct,  its insane that these toys can be found if we look properly and totally mad that they can be produced and sold so cheaply.

I think you should gift it to him and let it sit at the bottom of his toy drawer. It might aquire more value to him than all the rest of your watches.. simply because that one has been his for as long as he can remember. 

Now I want one.. :bash:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SolaVeritate said:

Wow. That looks pretty cool for £8. 

Well done as Davy said.. I honestly would have nabbed it for myself but I'm after a different kind of pocket thing (I nearly got it too from ebay but the one I got was goosed).

You are correct,  its insane that these toys can be found if we look properly and totally mad that they can be produced and sold so cheaply.

I think you should gift it to him and let it sit at the bottom of his toy drawer. It might aquire more value to him than all the rest of your watches.. simply because that one has been his for as long as he can remember. 

Now I want one.. :bash:

As they're sold out now I might stick it in the classifieds on here for £100 to see what response I get

(Joking before I get a kicking!)

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, SolaVeritate said:

its insane that these toys can be found if we look properly and totally mad that they can be produced and sold so cheaply.

I bet you wouldn't want to work for the wages or under the conditions where they are assembled.

• Agree 2