• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can I join in 

Ooh, he's taken a little from column A and a little from Column B!  

1. Certina DS Action quartz chronograph blue dial Or... 2. Tissot Seastar 1000 Powermatic 80  

Posted Images

Brand wise I prefer Certina over Tissot (just, there is not a lot in it).

But of those two, I do prefer the Seastar (again, only just with little between them).

Both lovely looking watches with a beautiful depth of blue.

That's an interesting contrast between those two deep blue watches, @JayDeep. On balance, I think I prefer the Seastar because of the less-busy dial and solid rather than perforated hands. Both are beautifully blue, and there isn't much to choose between the brands. Then, @trameline interjected with his picture of the Seastar chronograph which to my mind has been able to combine the best of both of the watches you show into a single wristwatch. Mind you, I wouldn't mind having any of the three watches...:)

• Like 1

these threads are great amn't they.

half the folk go option a, the other half choose option 2 and the third half offer bolt from the blue (see what i did there) option 2a...

usually at this point smartarse i comes along and say "neither!!!" - but for once i have a preference 

the seastar by a country mile - love those hands - you could read the time from a different continent, not the chronograph version those way way too busy.

51 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

That's an interesting contrast between those two deep blue watches, @JayDeep. On balance, I think I prefer the Seastar because of the less-busy dial and solid rather than perforated hands. Both are beautifully blue, and there isn't much to choose between the brands. Then, @trameline interjected with his picture of the Seastar chronograph which to my mind has been able to combine the best of both of the watches you show into a single wristwatch. Mind you, I wouldn't mind having any of the three watches...:)

You'd just drop them and get all flustered. :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Yeah I usually don't like skeletonized hands and I typically prefer mechanical, but in this case I definitely prefer the Certina over the Tissot (both of them).

The touches added to the Certina dial set it apart for me. The chrome ring around the subdials is the biggest part of that for sure! The locking chrono pushers with the black accent rings and the red dial accents really make this thing shine miles above the Tissot options.

In general I'm not at all a Tissot fan. I respect them, find they're of decent quality and all, but their finishing sucks, their dials are unidimensional and uninspired in every way. They used to do much better work, but have long since fallen off the map for me. The comparison was just a random thought, I wasn't nor would I ever consider replacing my DS Action with this thing, not in a million years, but a creeping interest in replacing my old Seastar way coming into play.

Now if we were comparing the Certina to the older, earlier Seastar 1000 then I might have a tougher decision. Those things were to die for with that domed crystal, painted bezel, porthole exhibition back, diver engraved rotor visible through the porthole like he's swimming around, and the awesome and very unique hands set! My biggest regret was letting that one go. Ugh!

Edited by JayDeep
5 minutes ago, aa bcfc said:

I quite like the Tissot, not so much the Certina. 

In a straight fight, I would always lean towards Certina ahead of Tissot personally, but I'm not big on Chronographs and in the OP prefer the cleaner clearer dial on the Tissot in this instance.

As chrono's go, that Certina is lovely, but I'm a man of simple, uncluttered dials that just tell the time without additional dials as a general rule.

2 hours ago, Kamakazie! said:

The Tissot.

Thought you were trying to avoid another blue dial with red accents!

That's one of the reasons I was considering the Tissot. There's one for a great deal in the sales section. I already own the Certina. This is part of my process, just trying to determine if I'll actually wear it, provided I bought the thing. In this case I really don't think I would ever wear it. I like the nostalgia of it for me, reminding me of the older one I had, but this thing just doesn't stack up for me, not even close. That was my determination. Even though there were more votes for the Tissot, there were no convincing arguments for it at all, because I don't care for clean and uncluttered dials. I like mine with some clutter and dimension to them. I always prefer chronos. So this would've just sat around until I finally decided I wasted my money and did another giveaway. Nice watch, just not my thing. So on to the next potential pick-up.

Sir, it's your wrist, and it's your money  --  you cannot abrogate responsibility.

However, were it my wrist, and were I limited to just these two, it would be the Seastar. End of.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, yokel said:

Sir, it's your wrist, and it's your money  --  you cannot abrogate responsibility.

However, were it my wrist, and were I limited to just these two, it would be the Seastar. End of.

Lol that's not at all what I was trying to do. I already own the Certina and the Tissot wasn't going to replace it. It was just a consideration to add to my collection of blue watches and an attempt to see if there's something about the Tissot I was missing that should push me to buy it even if I wasn't leaning toward it. The deal was so good I just had to consider it.

I did a this vs that because I just don't wear the Certina very often and so if I don't or can't even like the Tissot as much as the Certina, then why buy another watch I won't wear? And that's my determination in the end, I just wouldn't ever wear this thing, because it would be my least liked, if liked at all.

I like Tissot but I want a Certina in my collection but out of those two I prefer the Tissot. 

Certina looks a bit 1990's to me. 

Tissot looks a bit more retro, cleaner and like its not trying to hard, I quite like that watch. Id put it on a distressed leather strap to give it a bit of a war hero look which by association will make you appear tough and manly. 

• Haha 1