• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Westend watches

Early 1920s Westend Trench watch with Arabic numerals and 12 o' clock letters in Red. Probably Enamel dial, with some very minute cracks and some faded lettering.

Westend-Secundus-Trench-Watch-01.jpg

Any comments on exact dating is very welcome.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for the info. Actually I was in touch with Mr. David Boettcher last year ( during the first Covid wave ) regarding dating of some of my Roamer and Angora pocket watches and has been in touch with West end in Switzerland also. Unfortunately my recent communications to him have gone unanswered and I don't know what is wrong. He used to be very prompt in his replies...

West does not have much info about the old watches as they claim it is all in the archives of their museum.

8 hours ago, Sridharvc said:

Any comments on exact dating is very welcome.

I doubt if you'll get anything much more exact. Possibly pictures of the movement and inside the caseback would reveal something.

Is it possible the faded lettering is "Secundus"?

8a823482-83e4-11e6-98f8-37917d34812c.jpg

https://www.catawiki.com/l/7970305-west-end-watch-co-wewco-secundus-man-s-military-style-trench-wrist-watch-circa-1918-1920-a-collectable-timepiece

It's a fine watch BTW.

Edited by spinynorman

Yes. It is Secundus.

I had sent the photos to West End watch com, Switzerland. Their reply is as follows:-

" Secundus means fair, favorable, lucky.

This sub-brand was launched in the 1930's as pocket watches as well as wrist watches, more convenient for soldiers…

Your watch also dates back to this period.

We hope that this information will be helpful.

With best regards from Switzerland.

WE / Sandra "

Another reply:-

"

The watch was produced by West End Watch Co. in Switzerland for the Indian market.

But we can’t trace which suppliers provided the components ; the archives of our company are held in a museum not in our factory.

Best regards,

WE / Sandra "

I usually don't open watch backs as my hands are very steady. I need to ask the guy who restores my watches, but to the current Covid here in India, that is going to take time.

For those of you who are interested in West End watches may I also suggest my own article entitled, "West End Watch Company: A Short History", posted here on the Watch Forum on 9 March 2017. This topic can be accessed using the Forum search feature.:)

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I doubt if you'll get anything much more exact. Possibly pictures of the movement and inside the caseback would reveal something.

Is it possible the faded lettering is "Secundus"?

8a823482-83e4-11e6-98f8-37917d34812c.jpg

https://www.catawiki.com/l/7970305-west-end-watch-co-wewco-secundus-man-s-military-style-trench-wrist-watch-circa-1918-1920-a-collectable-timepiece

It's a fine watch BTW.

Thanks.