• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

WRUW - Sunday Modern (1990 -)

Got this little Larsson & Jennings on again this morning:

16199413907502277004629796032028.thumb.jpg.6c2662851a95d8f705f2375f77e0673d.jpg

I really have been amazed by this, I can only think of one other time I have been so surprised by a watch I've taken a blind punt on.

Firstly, all of my watches seem to end up being essentially round. I've tried a few that are not and whilst some have stayed with me for a while, they've always felt like I'm having to try to wear them and have eventually been moved on. This just wears nice and feels right despite being out of my ordinary.

The L&J name was ultimately what made me think it would be a novelty purchase for me that wouldn't last, but the quality of it has astounded me.

The beautiful depth and texture on the dial the smoothwind, the interesting and unique part display case back, weight without significant heft, the fine balance between modern and traditional (it's size and shape, despite the tighter corners, really does feel 'Apple watch', whilst the craft and movement speaks of old world charm).

Only once have I taken a speculative jump at a watch and been anywhere close to seeing expectations so thoroughly exceeded.

It is destined to stay with me forever and my only sadness is that when I'm gone and my kids piece through my collection (or if they appreciate them as my watches, the next generation who get them and inspect them with a financial eye rather than one of sentimental value) will see it as a strange outlier that wasn't really comfortable in the collection and seemed out of place.

I wish I had a dozen of these to send out as trials and loaners to each of you on here to check that I'm not bonkers, and that somehow by luck or design, a lightly regarded brand managed to produce an unexpected thing of beauty by not following and of the usual 'let's make it look just like something we know has already been done well by someone else" formula.

Sunday sermon over.

20210502_004713.thumb.jpg.3b2520bebbd7f8c9a0107bfd827e03cd.jpg20210502_004907.thumb.jpg.22645b71f56955d415c875a2be3c4789.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Graham60 said:

Morning :)

Rotary 'Les Originales Legacy' (Cal: SW200-1)

Rotary 'Les Originales Legacy'  (Cal SW200-1)

Beautiful. Rotary are such a strange one for me, they have dozens of watches that I feel are stunning (like yours today) and then dozens that are just dull, boring or poor.

I've had a fairly even split between the two camps, some lovely watches that look and feel like quality timepieces, and some tat that feel like they should have come from a man selling them on a Spanish beach.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

My dearheart's birthday today.   We're going to paint the fence together, who says romance is dead. large.Screenshot_20210502-090325_Gallery.jpg.b133a7b5c6d60b25797e7d497de55080.jpg

Mr Myagi approves this post.

• Haha 1

hi all,not a homebuild but more of a mod this one,Pagani i bought from the good carlgulliver of this parish.dial from Aliexpress ,hands from ebay which i have relumed with C3.machined up a bronze bezel inset on the lathe then used the milling machine to make recess in it for a bezel pip so the bezel feature can be used..yOyXulG.jpg?1

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, greasemonk said:

hi all,not a homebuild but more of a mod this one,Pagani i bought from the good carlgulliver of this parish.dial from Aliexpress ,hands from ebay which i have relumed with C3.machined up a bronze bezel inset on the lathe then used the milling machine to make recess in it for a bezel pip so the bezel feature can be used..yOyXulG.jpg?1

Incredible work, I am amazed (and extremely jealous) of anyone with the skill and craftsmanship to make something completely unique and personal. (My best efforts would not include lathes and milling machines, but old toilet rolls and prit stick, I fear the results would be less impressive).

• Like 2
  • Agree 2