• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Here Comes The Sun & From Russia With Love ... Am I missing out on something?

I don't always follow the crowd when it comes to what I buy, but I have so far avoided solar powered/eco drive watches, and Russian watches, and I am wondering if I am missing out on an interesting aspect of the watch industry?

Here are my reasons for not wanting a solar powered watch (and believe me, I do look at them , but as soon as I see the words solar powered I'm off)...

• I don't wear a watch for much more than a day and then put it back in it's box and wear something else.
  • I live in Scotland, and Covid has kept me inside more than normal.
  • Those two reasons above are about it really, (only joking about Scotland and lack of sunshine, my heart will forever be in Scotland, but my flip flops bide in Spain :teethsmile:)

...and this is my reason for not wanting a Russian watch...

• I haven't really seen anything that has inspired me enough to buy one.
  • I find them a little bit 'crude' a sort of a 'wood burning stove' of a watch.

So...here I am, I love pretty much most styles of watches, but I wonder if I'm missing out on something with having a no aspirations to own a solar powered watch or a Russian watch. 

Help required...or therapy depending how you look at it. :crazy5vh:

p.s. I don't own any flip flops, and would never wear them as they are an utterly hideous form of footwear, and most probably the work of the devil. :evil9kf:

• Like 2

I have a couple of solar powered watches, a Casio Edifice and a Citizen Eco Drive. They are on plastic stands on my desk, under a daylight lamp that seems to keep them charged, despite not being on all that often. They're the only "modern" watches I have left and something makes me keep them, though I'm not sure what. They get very little wrist time these days. My searches for Citizen watches generally skip over the Eco Drives now, one is enough.

I'm with you on Russian watches, nothing I've seen makes me want one, despite the obvious enthusiasm of their owners.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have one solar watch and when not worn serves as my desk clock, so no problem re charging.

Russian watches ? I've had loads, and you are missing out. There is a mind boggling array to chose from both modern and vintage, and crude some of them are, but that is part of the charm. When you have something that has been wound so many times that the crown is smooth, yet it still keeps time to less than 5 seconds a day, "crude is good".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Solar – I had one back in the day when they didn’t disguise the solar panel and it wasn’t very efficient. 

Russians can be quite fun. I don’t have any at the moment. 

I would wear flip-flops all day every day if I lived in the right place! 

• Like 1

Solar powered watches aren't particularly expensive at all, so if you're pondering wether to get one or not go for it, and it should last a long long time.

I've got one of these, known as the 'Excalibur' cos of its hands, i use it as my second watch and dont wear it much but i still like it.

Citizen - Eco Drive Promaster Excalibur 200M ISO certified - Catawiki

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20210427_193745.thumb.jpg.61900ce0e809ae485275fe5e6db0f5db.jpg 

About £100 all in delivered including the Cousins leather NATO which came from Cousins not Russia but was a fiver, watch about £90 delivered from Meranom. 

Tonneau shape, Sandwich dial, Candle stick hands, Funny crown that feels like its broken when you undo it, Russian, Plastic crystal, sunurst blue dial, You cant tell me this isnt a bit different, a bit of a conversation starter. I am from Scotland aswell so value is a big thing for me. I think this is one of my best looking watches and for a £100 its also exceptional value!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

I've only one solar and it's a Seiko - hardly on the wrist and needs time in the light whenever I think about wearing it. I don't always leave watches out but I did the Seiko to charge it - I went to check on it's progress and my wife had put it back in the box "tidying". So I can get your reasoning.

Russian watch wise - I like the designs people have chosen and shown on here at a very good price point. My late brother bought a couple but I think he had issues with the crown and just didn't gel with the two he bought think they were sent back for a refund.

In terms of flip flops whilst the weather here is perfect for them, I have a few pairs super dry and havaianas, I can't where them for any length of time as they chafe my delicate skin, lol. 

Edited by wrenny1969
  • Like 1

As far as solar goes I caught sight of one of these on WRUW a couple of days ago and it really got me thinking about solar again.

citizen_bn2039-59e_catalog.png?quality=8

Just a bit too 'funky' to ignore, and at £400-£500 it is quite a bit of watch for the money...but it's solar :russian_roulette:

A good while back I did see one Russian watch that looked pretty special/different, I think it was either @Ullevior @yokelthat owned it...don't quote me on this but I think it had a sub seconds dial and poire squelette hands.

down to just two solar fuelled g shocks , my citizen eco drives have come and gone. all fine in the fife gloom thanks :laughing2dw:

fully expect an eco drive or two to reappear soon'ish - indeed wouldn't really consider a non solar quartz (or non radio controlled G) at all moving forward. 

re the ruskies - great little budget play things but my experience was they were all terrible time keepers so i jumped across to seiko...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

As far as solar goes I caught sight of one of these on WRUW a couple of days ago and it really got me thinking about solar again.

citizen_bn2039-59e_catalog.png?quality=8

Just a bit too 'funky' to ignore, and at £400-£500 it is quite a bit of watch for the money...but it's solar :russian_roulette:

A good while back I did see one Russian watch that looked pretty special/different, I think it was either @Ullevior @yokelthat owned it...don't quote me on this but I think it had a sub seconds dial and poire squelette hands.

Not guilty M'lud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Solar powered and eco-drive kinetics are a con. You believe that they are not Quartz.. but they are. In fact.. when it comes to changing 'their' power supply in 20 years (usually a capacitor) its just the same amount of money as 10 batteries that last 2 years AND you need more skill (usually someone else) to do it (usually a jewelers) :/

I think you are a bit wrong about 'some' Russian watchmakers (that's not to say Russian type watches made outside Russia). They are collectables to be as discerning as any other country of origin. Russia make their own movements (depending on maker) and play to the larger watch sales as any other country do but there are exceptions.

Lets talk about Boctok (it is pronounced vostok which can guide your choice to a certain point). If you look at the history of its production you clearly see it became known because of the movement inside the watch (where and why it was created) first and foremost but then diversified. 

The quality is not in the precision of the finish of the watch but the precision of its durability, with the added bonus of a movement created by the makers, not purchased from outside of the factory. 

Someone who buys a 'scuba dude' from Boctok has missed out on the larger picture of this companies 120 year production history including watches for military and its (near) complete bodyswerve of quartz.

(Japan.. China.. ) Russia.. they are in a completely different category all on their own.

• Like 2

I have never managed to get on with solar powered watches, don't ask me why because I couldn't give you an answer!

Russian and Soviet era watches on the other hand are still relatively cheap and a lot of fun

large.P8130078s.jpg.3c223e80a498441590fdc4483c547b18.jpglarge.PC150336.JPG.ecacaa4f0bba3f73a98abc82f4fc1742.JPGlarge.IMAG1649_2.jpg.3fb330c186d83e16c2ac791403bbd373.jpglarge.DSC05847.JPG.47b44437832e2d5b56a012d4fc1eafde.JPGlarge.1169382532_IMAG18892.jpg.039274b2f658b325676233a5584b1283.jpglarge.2020402817_IMAG19652.jpg.89b805c9db6ff0492ff7147a34e2d51d.jpglarge.1709061014_IMAG1943_2s-Copy.jpg.6f116212411f8483cf13df6184ae86dd.jpglarge.1382571176_Vostok1965.jpg.6e084eacafb5b74639873418851e5e13.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SolaVeritate said:

Solar powered and eco-drive kinetics are a con. You believe that they are not Quartz.. but they are. In fact.. when it comes to changing 'their' power supply in 20 years (usually a capacitor) its just the same amount of money as 10 batteries that last 2 years AND you need more skill (usually someone else) to do it (usually a jewelers) :/

That's a little unfair - nothing lasts forever and the cost of replacing a battery (not a capacitor for quite a few years now) still compares pretty favourably with servicing on any mechanical. It does give the advantage of not disturbing the factory seal for a lot longer than a standard battery quartz too - G-shocks with their overcomplicated case constructions for example have absolutely no chance of being waterproof once they're opened.

..and who thinks solar watches aren't quartz? (or that eco-drives are kinetics?)

FWIW I've got Eco drives, Casio and Seiko/Pulsar solars and they've been spot on. I mean if you prefer a mechanical, you prefer a mechanical - but if you're OK with quartz then solar is definitely an advantage rather than a problem. The only type I'll usually avoid is Kinetics but that's just because they don't spend enough time on my wrist to stay charged. As long as you're not storing a solar watch in a drawer, or the box, you don't really need to worry about them. The main reason I don't have more Eco Drives is nothing to do with the technology and more because most of Citizen's watch designs just leave me cold.

Likewise the Russians - I mean they're pretty bombproof, reasonably accurate and there's loads of choice (I mean I'm thinking primarily Boctok here) but if you don't like them fair enough. They are quirky things and you either get it or you don't .

Edited by Perlative Cernometer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

am I missing out on an interesting aspect of the watch industry?

Most definitely, IMHO.

Few of my Ruskies...

1960's precision (Chronometer)

VJzr90W.jpg

FyVWShi.jpg

Kopernik...

zwQ5VEO.jpg

gzrrfUU.jpg

eTAruTi.jpg

npe1vto.jpg

Couple of my 3133's...

iri9xgn.jpg

UWoKlLG.jpg

JE9cc4l.jpg

jLsiIdI.jpg

4 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I don't always follow the crowd when it comes to what I buy...

Good man!

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2021 at 14:03, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

You called M'lud?

Is this the one to which you refer? New watch with 1958 NOS movement:

large.DSC_0094.JPG.410df8ed397a45a8ccc8e273b3b3c134.JPGlarge.DSC_0098.JPG.64679a9c678bc6ffe2e3c959076471b4.JPG

Edited by Ullevi
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ullevi said:

You called M'lud?

Is this the one to which you refer? New watch with 1958 NOS movement:

large.DSC_0094.JPG.410df8ed397a45a8ccc8e273b3b3c134.JPGlarge.DSC_0098.JPG.64679a9c678bc6ffe2e3c959076471b4.JPG

This is one of my favourite watches on the forum. :yes:

• Thanks 1