• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Guitars - Do you recall your first grail?

23 hours ago, midnitemo said:

It was a Texas Instruments LCD watch black plastic ...very 70's i was 8 years old...got it the following Christmas my poor sprite went into the draw only to come out when the TI's battery failed.........the next grail was looming on the horizon aged about 12 or 13 i fell in love with the Rolex Submariner and a black Fender Precision with a rosewood neck and mirrored scratch plate!... i got the Fender a lot sooner than the Rolex 

my p bass.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is impossible to own too many watches, and bass guitars...

sadly I think my wife read somewhere that it is impossible to own too many handbags, and pairs if shoes :jawdrop1:

For the record it absolutely IS possible to have too many children.

• Haha 3
6 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is impossible to own too many watches, and bass guitars...

sadly I think my wife read somewhere that it is impossible to own too many handbags, and pairs if shoes :jawdrop1:

Actually, it is.

It's impossible for anyone else to own this CBG 28" scale, headless guitar/bass guitar crossover.. because there's only one if them.

large.FB_IMG_1619825193257.jpg.6b3d8ac005fda53d8062fd0c0fc00936.jpg

TBH.. let them keep their handbags and shoes.. the last time I saw anyone rocking out playing a handbag was... well..

Never!!!

\m/

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, SolaVeritate said:

It's impossible for anyone else to own this CBG 28" scale, headless guitar/bass guitar crossover.. because there's only one if them.

That's a big cigar box!

That shows commitment smoking all those cigars so that bass could be created. :teethsmile:

• Haha 2
On 01/05/2021 at 00:42, SolaVeritate said:

Actually, it is.

large.FB_IMG_1619825193257.jpg.6b3d8ac005fda53d8062fd0c0fc00936.jpg

TBH.. let them keep their handbags and shoes.. the last time I saw anyone rocking out playing a handbag was... well..

Never!!!

\m/

Wow decent stab at a home build steinberger ...28 inch scale ???????? Surely you should have gone for 30 , i have 3 basses currently , been as high as 6 and as low as 2 money no option it would escalate easily to double figures , lucky for me my wife is not into designer anything and doesn't do beauty treatments body mods , her vice is Horses

8 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

Wow decent stab at a home build steinberger ...28 inch scale ???????? Surely you should have gone for 30 , i have 3 basses currently , been as high as 6 and as low as 2 money no option it would escalate easily to double figures , lucky for me my wife is not into designer anything and doesn't do beauty treatments body mods , her vice is Horses

Fender six is what your looking for , guitar/bass hybrid from the 60's

• Agree 1
26 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

Long shot of Jack Bruce's Fender Six on this clip starting at 2:06. The rest lingers on Clapton's SG for some infathomable reason. :tongue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hftgytmgQgE

Other users here

https://www.fender.com/articles/gear/12-incredible-bass-vi-performances

Edited by spinynorman
  • Agree 1

I didn't notice "Guitars" in the title, I thought this was a watch grail thread that had gone off topic.

In about 1965 my father took me to see an acquaintance of his whose front room was full of unbranded acoustic guitars. I fell for the sound of a 12-string, ignoring the likelihood that the extra strings would stunt my musical development. It cost me £10 and was, I suppose, a very early Japanese import. I remember regular trips with friends to a large music store in Reading and also sending off for Selmer mail order catalogues. My grail at that time was a Hagstrom 12-string, which I never owned, though later David Bowie did.

http://www.rarestarguitars.com/collection/david-bowie-hagstrom-12-string/

For some reason I used to lust after a WEM Sapphire too, but never had one of those either.

IMG_6430-650x650.jpg

In my 40s I swapped to bass and had a new grail every three months, amongst them a 1978 Gibson Ripper and an Epiphone Jack Casady (both mine).

large.IMG_1386s.jpg.af6f16ce48609ae19114de01ab91344b.jpglarge.IMG_5319s.jpg.dc2d2debce4606ac43f4864dab91d3bc.jpg

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, midnitemo said:

If I wanted to build a Fender 6, I would have needed a job at Fender.

2 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I didn't notice "Guitars" in the title, I thought this was a watch grail thread that had gone off topic.

In about 1965 my father took me to see an acquaintance of his whose front room was full of unbranded acoustic guitars. I fell for the sound of a 12-string, ignoring the likelihood that the extra strings would stunt my musical development. It cost me £10 and was, I suppose, a very early Japanese import. I remember regular trips with friends to a large music store in Reading and also sending off for Selmer mail order catalogues. My grail at that time was a Hagstrom 12-string, which I never owned, though later David Bowie did.

http://www.rarestarguitars.com/collection/david-bowie-hagstrom-12-string/

For some reason I used to lust after a WEM Sapphire too, but never had one of those either.

IMG_6430-650x650.jpg

In my 40s I swapped to bass and had a new grail every three months, amongst them a 1978 Gibson Ripper and an Epiphone Jack Casady (both mine).

large.IMG_1386s.jpg.af6f16ce48609ae19114de01ab91344b.jpglarge.IMG_5319s.jpg.dc2d2debce4606ac43f4864dab91d3bc.jpg

I'm liking the Jack Cassady , i fancy one of those or maybe a Tivoli , i have a Hofner 500 and a music master to go with the p bass , never had a semi

7 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

I'm liking the Jack Cassady , i fancy one of those or maybe a Tivoli , i have a Hofner 500 and a music master to go with the p bass , never had a semi

Riivoli .... grrr predictive bloody text!

10 minutes ago, midnitemo said:

Riivoli .... grrr predictive bloody text!

Large bodied semi

If anyone's interested, I don't actually play bass. I built it because it seemed a good challenge. It's 28" scale because it's hard to get normal guitar strings long enough to fit (even when it is headless) alongside bass strings. I play, or used to play just normal guitar and thought it would be cool to have a growler. 

I built this for a friend...

large.FB_IMG_1619996756486.jpg.5d497753ec9c2eaedc8c7e2e2acbb6de.jpg

24&3/4" scale CBG and 21" scale baritone ukulele. It plays sweet.

This is mine..

large.FB_IMG_1619997125388.jpg.af92b0b2f2ce9e83e3e2bfa64ff998f2.jpg

large.FB_IMG_1619997132478.jpg.eb7c18595299950c55fa69de1ada7162.jpg

3/4 scale 5 string with switchable bridge. Top picture sounds nice and warm, bottom sounds like dobro. Tuned to my tuning and nothing sounds quite like it.

• Like 1
On 02/05/2021 at 17:33, midnitemo said:

I'm liking the Jack Casady

It's a bit of a one off, the Rivoli would be a more conventional choice I think. Having said that, you can get a variety of tones out of the JC and it's comfortable to play. Gary Mounfield of the Stone Roses played one for a while.

NINTCHDBPICT000005003648-e1590333982157.

• Like 1
On 03/05/2021 at 00:19, SolaVeritate said:

This is mine..

I love home brew stuff.

I've got a Fender Jazz base, (somewhere) but the fiddle gets preference, and always has. As far as modern bass players go, there are a few girls that are good. (Cassie Taylor)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I love home brew stuff.

Hadn't come across those guys before and they're right up my street. Thanks.

4 hours ago, WRENCH said:

there are a few girls that are good. (Cassie Taylor)

Thumb picker too, which makes a change. That walking bass line is the cheesiest thing ever and it still sets the hairs at the back of my neck on end.

14 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

That walking bass line is the cheesiest thing ever

First thing I got taught by the guy who gave me the bass.

I love cut down, get everything in the back of a car and go stuff.

Can't beat the "old" guys though.

Hi

Strangely, I've never had a grail guitar, I do have probably around thirty spread out round the house though, I struggle to get in to my gunroom due to guitars being piled on the rifles!

I think that the prettiest guitar I have is this 1960 Hofner President but it sounds awful!!, I put new light guage strings on years ago as I thought heavy guage might be too much and damage it but it south shrill and orrid so it was detuned and put away, Going to try some 14's on it sometime!!
vIiCstK.jpg AFbMJQa.jpg xfeL0dI.jpg

The cedar topped/Mahogany backed Simon & Patrick is lovely to play (The Canadians know how to get it right!)..

dKJNkca.jpg

I quite like the Faith guitars and have a couple of older ones (Newer ones don't have fret markers apart from a stylised 'F' at the octave..

bl12flF.jpg  VcUv179.jpg

I have electrics too but prefer the sound of acoustics :thumbsup:

Have to say too that I have a thing for Yammies!! 

John :thumbs_up:

• Thanks 1
On 06/05/2021 at 23:06, johnbaz said:

I think that the prettiest guitar I have is this 1960 Hofner President but it sounds awful!!, I put new light guage strings on years ago as I thought heavy guage might be too much and damage it but it south shrill and orrid so it was detuned and put away, Going to try some 14's on it sometime!!
vIiCstK.jpg   

It looks like it has a floating bridge. 

If the bridge has moved it will throw out the intonation of the guitar and it will sound terrible.

A quick way to test it is to measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and from the 12th to the bridge. They should be the same. 

To fix it, the harmonic at the 12th should be the same as the note at the 12th and you move the bridge to make them the same (or as close to the same for each string as the bridge set up lets you). 

• Like 1