• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How Not to Buy a Watch: My Latest Acquisition

Having had and survived my first chemotherapy session at our Brighton oncology unit on Friday, I thought I would spend Saturday having a browse around my local charity shops and collectibles markets, perhaps to buy an inexpensive watch as I have bought nary a watch for over a year.

In one particular market, the proprietor - who I have known for many years on a friendly basis - mentioned that he had put a few new watches out in one of his glass cabinets, and he opened the cabinet up and let me have a look through the watches. It was at this point that things started to go pear-shaped. Having myself had antiques retail experience of displaying small items of value in glass cabinets in the past, I am always amazed at how so many market traders cannot get the jist of displaying items on shelves in such a way that taking one item out for a look doesn’t cause an avalanche of other pieces sliding forwards and knocking things to the floor. In two fell swoops, I managed to send a number of watches and other items to the floor - fortunately carpeted - and found myself unable to put them back safely or in the order in which they had been displayed, so placed them on the main shop desk at his request, for him to replace.

Having set the scene, I noticed that the proprietor still had a boxed Superdry watch that I had seen previously, pre-pandemic, and I had a feeling that I had quite liked it. I removed the slightly "manky" box from the cabinet for further inspection and opened it. I did rather like the watch but was reminded of why I had not investigated it further - the price was £40. I screwed up my nose a bit and was given a lower price of £30, so I decided to remove the watch from its cushion for a better look. The watch and myself were now at the main desk, being overseen in my deliberations by the market proprietor. As I handled the watch, it was clear that it had seen some use and did not have the original strap, and the proprietor, with no prompting from myself, said I could have the watch for £20.

The Superdry SYG122R, my latest watch acquisition although my example now has a black leather strap with white stiching rather than the original fabric and rubber strap shown here (pic from Amazon UK):

71hG5RZm50L._AC_UY679_.thumb.jpg.32ebfca564eb21b0b10ea45633ad0abb.jpg

It was at this point that disaster struck. As my hand moved along the strap to the buckle end, there was a sudden “ping” and the spring bar holding the buckle frame in place gave way, so that the frame was now detached from the watch strap. To make matters worse, it became clear that the strap on the other side of the watch case had been glued by someone to produce at least a temporary fix, and the joint gave way so that the holey part of the leather strap came away completely, leaving a bare spring bar on that side of the watch. It was at this point that the proprietor made his final offer of £10, and I hastily agreed feeling embarrassed about making such a mess of things.

I went out to the car to grab a tenner from Kristina and then apologized to the market proprietor for mucking up his cabinet display and "causing" the disintegration of the watch strap. We had a laugh and I didn't take to heart his closing remark that rather than "see you soon", I should not come again. However, I'll be back - chemotherapy or cancer permitting. :biggrin: 

This afternoon, I have found a decent black leather strap with white stitching that goes nicely with the watch, and I am now wearing it. The watch is ticking away, so hopefully it won't need a new battery just yet. I was secretly pleased to discover that my new Superdry is actually still available online, even though it came on stream back in 2012, and is currently priced at between about £80 and just over the £100 mark; there were examples heavily discounted, but it seems that these are now all out of stock/unavailable. The red colourway of my example is, to me, the nicest of the colourways, and I like the embossed caseback and design of the crown. All-in-all, I think my £10 was well-spent and the watch sits neatly on my wrist without watch-slide, which I sometimes get when the watch keeps sliding part-way round the wrist.  

Two more pics of the Superdry SYG122R with its original strap (pics from WatchShop.com and Shadestation.co.uk):

syg122r-1374075798-160.thumb.jpg.95c6d088daa66854a3218e9497bf6c38.jpg

SYG122R-strapfw1500fh1500.thumb.jpg.8b4664698b0d3486f8c4fc56aec6ebe4.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

And here's me putting my Superdry up in today's WRUW thinking "I bet nobody else has been daft enough" .. I stand corrected, although yours looks an altogether classier offering (all relative obviously) Got to be a bargain for that price though - enjoy!

p?i=e14ca67cd2cc0a9671b1551a3831b242

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is nothing good about cancer, and really only 1 good thing about Chemo.

Unless you add it the ability to blame absolutely anything (or turn any situation) as a result of suffering through them.

A speedy, "U'm sorry, I'm always a clutz after my Chemo appointment" as the watches piled up around your ankles might have got the final price down to £5.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Firstly, I hope your treatment is a speedy and as easy a path forward as possible. 

Secondly, a tenner sounds like a bargain even if you had to invest some sweat equity in the acquisition process! 

Edited by antjrice
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
16 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Thanks guys! 

Just a quick PS: The battery seems to have died on me in my Superdry watch. Oh well, c'est la vie and all that.:laugh:

I'll sort it out if you want to post it my way.  Not my usual bag but I'm happy to get them to tick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i used to do the x-ray and gamma camera services down there - the bloke doing them now is even weirder than I. 

dont be fooled there are some properly good people in that neck of the woods :laughing2dw:

the parking was a sodding nightmare though - at a couple of sites onc patients used to have reserved parking but not sure about Brighton.

anyway the main thing is that you replaced that 'orrible strap :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Thanks guys! 

Just a quick PS: The battery seems to have died on me in my Superdry watch. Oh well, c'est la vie and all that.:laugh:

Take it down to your local Ernest Jones or similar and get the battery swapped. Maybe ask to see one of the watches in their glass cabinet while you're at it:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your story at the market made me laugh so much!! Luckily you know/knew him but I can well imagine the scene - an Inspector Clouseau (or more recently a Mr Bean) moment I think! Be sure to let us know when you next go shopping!

• Haha 1

@Always"watching" - I truly wish you well with your treatment and hope it kicks your illness firmly in the bum.  Hard!

My husband has been undergoing perpetual chemo for over three years now and it isn't winning unfortunately.  So I wish with all my heart that yours will.

Do not underestimate the restorative power of a robust sense of humour and seeing the funny side - of yourself, the situation and anything else that happens along.   I prescribe a good guffaw several times every day.

I wish you minimal side effects.   In that respect, my husband has been lucky.  He is however perplexed at how he's lost his bum - not lost weight, just lost the roundness and fullness of the buttocks.  Which results in trousers falling down.  So my sister found him a nice pair of Swiss embroidered braces of my Dad's and they did the trick, until he needed the loo and was wearing a jumper over the top and couldn't figure out why he couldn't drop his kecks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1