Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Brands you had never heard of...?


Recommended Posts

...before joining watch forums?

Earlier today I posted that I had never heard of Ulysse Nardin before I joined watch forums. But there were others.

I knew about all the brands you can/could find in the High Street and the airports, mainly the big volume brands. I think I was aware that there were brands out there beyond the Rolex orbit, and I had probably heard of P-P and A-P.  However, V-C, Piaget, and many others in the horological stratosphere, I was ignorant of those.

I didn't know about brands like Orient and I  knew nothing of microbrands.

Were any of you in a similar state of ignorance or innocence?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine that the birth of the internet would have rapidly expanded  ones knowledge of unheard of brands, as it still does.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of them!

This forum has been a real education for me and I am learning about loads of quality brands which will definitely enhance my new hobby. 
I’ve still got plenty of wrong ‘uns left in me though so expect plenty of daft questions for the foreseeable future!

Edited by Bow
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Rolex, a Cartier, an AP and a GO before joining any forums. I was interested in watches  --  but had not put much time into research.

Brands I discovered as a direct result of forum membership include: H Moser & Cie, Stowa, MeisterSinger, F P Journe, Voutilainen, Benzinger, Strehler, De Bethune, Moritz Grossmann, D Dornblüth & Sohn, Lang & Heyne, and Garrick.

Eight watches (just over half my collection) come from those "newly discovered" brands, and there are several more examples on my target list  :blush:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yokel said:

Brands I discovered as a direct result of forum membership include: H Moser & Cie, Stowa, MeisterSinger, F P Journe, Voutilainen, Benzinger, Strehler, De Bethune, Moritz Grossmann, D Dornblüth & Sohn, Lang & Heyne, and Garrick.

Be careful...someone I know might be getting a bit excited when he reads that...

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yokel said:

I had a Rolex, a Cartier, an AP and a GO before joining any forums. I was interested in watches  --  but had not put much time into research.

Brands I discovered as a direct result of forum membership include: H Moser & Cie, Stowa, MeisterSinger, F P Journe, Voutilainen, Benzinger, Strehler, De Bethune, Moritz Grossmann, D Dornblüth & Sohn, Lang & Heyne, and Garrick.

Eight watches (just over half my collection) come from those "newly discovered" brands, and there are several more examples on my target list  :blush:

<copy>

<paste>

<save to folder>

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to buy QP magazine (I say buy, I used to steal the old issues from my boss at the time) so I was relatively well versed in brands when I started on the forums.

However, quite embarrassingly, there are some I have no idea how to pronounce. :rolleyes: Glashutte, anyone??  I'm still 50/50 on Ulysse Nardin!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really remember what I knew, other than Rolex, because... Well... Rolex, duh! I knew Fossil because I had one. I knew Seiko because my buddy had one. I knew Timex because my dad had several. I knew TechnoMarine because rappers rapped about it. I knew of Casio because of the calculator watch. I think that's it.

I don't even recall knowing of Tag or Omega honestly, even though I watched a lot of golf.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kevkojak said:

However, quite embarrassingly, there are some I have no idea how to pronounce. :rolleyes: Glashutte, anyone??  I'm still 50/50 on Ulysse Nardin!

Here you go:

 

Skip to 2' 50" for Glashütte

 

Edited by AVO
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I only learnt of the existence of Brellum yesterday:

https://www.brellum.swiss/en/

It looks like they are making a capable product with potentially decent movements at an OK price point. 

I like their dial designs although I find the logo a bit too in your face. 

Mobile website is rubbish to navigate though. Why are so many brands so bad at this!... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, antjrice said:

I only learnt of the existence of Brellum yesterday:

https://www.brellum.swiss/en/

It looks like they are making a capable product with potentially decent movements at an OK price point. 

I like their dial designs although I find the logo a bit too in your face. 

Mobile website is rubbish to navigate though. Why are so many brands so bad at this!... 

Nice.

I know that the fact it matters to me makes me a bit of a watch snob (maybe without the "s" in snob) but I often struggle to be sure when I find a brand new to me whether they are a 'proper' watchmaker or some fashion brand with a pretend backstory to show some degree of providence.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bricey said:

I know that the fact it matters to me makes me a bit of a watch snob (maybe without the "s" in snob) but I often struggle to be sure when I find a brand new to me whether they are a 'proper' watchmaker or some fashion brand with a pretend backstory to show some degree of providence.

Difficult area. There are outfits around who trade on famous but defunct names that they have revived (18th Century English makers are a common target) and there are Kickstarters that won't last the week, metaphorically speaking.

Equally, there are a number of new and relatively new brands producing high quality pieces, often at buttock-clenching prices. They have no history in most cases, so are forced to establish their credentials in a way that is perhaps more direct and brash than the old established brands who have both history and a regular and faithful clientèle. 

We need to understand that in order to qualify as a fine watch brand it is not compulsory to have been started by snowed-in goatherds in the Jura sometime during the 19th Century. (That in itself is no absolute guarantee of quality, though the brands that have survived usually did so for a reason)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...