• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What's the "good" Russian stuff?

The one thing I respect about Russian products is they don't rip-off anything. They make their own designs and truly are the king's of mechanical simplification! However I'm just not even remotely a fan of Vostok. Their movements don't have a quickset date function which is unacceptable in every way to me, and overall what they produce is just unimpressive to me. I loved the modding options at first, but even that is extremely limited and, frankly, I'm over it.

I've owned several vintage Russian pieces but that's not what I'm looking for. I want current production, high quality timepieces. Anything Russian in that regard?

Raketa is the obvious one. I've one of the modern ones and it's a pretty decent watch. Slava also make some interesting reissues that are around the £300 to £500 mark but I've no experience of them - hopefully that'll change soon as I intend to splash out on one the new "Televizors"

Konstantin Chaykin if you have seriously deep pockets.

My Raketa:

DSC-1331.jpg

1 hour ago, Lampoc said:

Slava also make some interesting reissues

I've had a look at a new "Television Set", but is the 2427 movement any better ? Or the same old "hit or miss" quality ?

@ around £500 new plus import add ons, I can think of others with less "risk" attached.

38 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I've had a look at a new "Television Set", but is the 2427 movement any better ? Or the same old "hit or miss" quality ?

@ around £500 new plus import add ons, I can think of others with less "risk" attached.

No idea if it's better! Probably not as it had a pretty poor reputation for reliability in the first place. I have plenty of spares though.

If you order direct from Slava it's pretty easy to knock another 15% off (already tried) and yeah, £500 might be a bit risky but I really, really want one ;)

• Thanks 1