• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Weird Time Keeping

A friend of mind has had a strange experience with the timekeeping of a Glycine.  I've established it's got an ETA 2893-2 calibre and sat in a box, not running, for 9 months.  Prior to this it ran about +5 seconds pd fast, apparently.

On wearing the watch again he found it running about -27 seconds a day slow at first (he was a bit miffed, said he hadn't dropped it or played golf with it or anything like that and I said I'd have a look at it and told it to keep wearing it in the meantime).  After 3 or 4 days it 'improved' to about -17 seconds pd (depending on how he left it sitting overnight).

Now a couple of days later he tells me it's running +3 seconds pd.  The android app says it's running -1 seconds pd with 9pm facing up.

I find myself a bit puzzled by this since I've never come across such a rapid change in accuracy in such a short period of time. 

Could it just be because it sat in a box for 9 months and the mechanism was bit sticky, or is something else going on?

Just curious if anyone else has come across this with this movement.

4 minutes ago, Bricey said:

Where was the box kept, in the house on in a cold garage/shed?

I asked that - should have said - in a cupboard under the stairs apparently, although he did say he'd had to move things about last year and was rather evasive :laugh:

I've had similar with new (out of the box) Seiko's. One running +, the other -. The fast runner was magnetized from new, the slow one, over a period of a month or so settled down. When did the Glycine last have a service ? I have a couple with that movement, and they start losing time when they need an "oil change".

27 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

When did the Glycine last have a service ? I have a couple with that movement, and they start losing time when they need an "oil change".

He 'said' it was 4 or 5 years old (so probably older, probably quite a bit older), don't think it's ever had the back off since he didn't know it needed servicing regularly. :huh::laugh:

Makes you wonder how many people just don't bother.

If it was just a service I wouldn't have expected the change in accuracy though, so still a bit puzzled.